• May 18, 2024, 09:53:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Forum Down  (Read 299 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Forum Down
« on: April 12, 2024, 12:59:43 AM »

So it seems the forum was down for a few days here.
Is there some way possibly you could give a few trusted members the power to reboot it or whatever it may have needed to reset / restart it, so that next time, one of them can possibly  fix it and not have to wait for you to have to find time in your life to get a chance at it?

Im fairly familiar with the simple machines software, although am running an older version on my website just as a FYI.

Be nice not to have the forum drop for 2=3 days yet at the same time, understand you are not married to the forum either and Do have a life, so offering a possible alternative solution.

Aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Forum Down
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 01:10:23 AM »

I spoke with the site owner, skadamo, because his "is my site down" alert system did not alert him the site was down.

"Host changed php version on me. Looks like my down detector failed me. I an going to have to do a big overhaul to get to latest php version soon. Know anyone good with graphics, css, html?"

Any knowledgeable volunteers? Please remember he's been paying for this place out of his own pocket for many years at this point.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 01:29:20 AM »

When I talked to you a few days ago Morgan, remember I said this is probably one of the scenario's that put his site down.

Tell them to roll the version of PhP back to what he was using and LEAVE IT THERE!!  His host should have zero problems doing this,  if so then get another host.

As far as changing the stuff, sadly I am not that good at this whole php, and the database thing yet, but am told it's not that hard to do.
However riding a bike is not hard to do either, but until you DO learn it, good luck, so there is that.

If he finds someone who is good with this stuff, tell him to reach out to me, I need work done on my site too eventually and id like to work a deal with him / them, maybe do a duo of sites and Ill help him pay for it, in return.

Also if they need, I have a domain or two that are basically parked, if they need to fiddle with shit to get it to work, I can dig them up and let them use one to test layouts until they get it proper, then merge it back with the proper roots established etc.  He'll understand what that means.

Aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 10:27:19 AM »

I know what all that means, too. I'm just relaying his request. He's the one who has kept the lights on for this place all these years so I'm not going to tell him how to run his ship.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 12:18:52 PM »

Nobody is trying to tell anyone how to run their ship, just offering help if I can, geez.
forget I asked.

Aaron

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 12:01:37 AM »

So, what happened this time? It would be nice to get some sort of notification, whether it's an email or a holding page with some details so that we know if the forum is ever coming back or he's decided to kill it. I have to wonder what compels skademo to continuing paying out for the forum when he himself is rarely active on it, presumably isn't even checking in on it daily to notice that it's down. Obviously I'm grateful that he is digging into his own pocket but perhaps it's time to give some power to someone that is regularly active (the other admin, Brammofan, hasn't even been on this year).

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 03:17:30 AM »

From my discussion today with the site owner:

Back up. But might go back down.
Going to update hopefully tomorrow
Probably will come back with ugly theme until i get a new skin
I need to do a better job. Life will get less busy soon as my kids are getting into college age
But i aint no quitter 😉

Grauteufel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 03:05:38 AM »

ITS BACK!!!!!!

I was starting to think it was just me that couldn't get on, I even emailed domainsbyproxy/godaddy to see if the site owner needed help/cash to get the site back up, but didn't get a response

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 03:58:22 AM »

ITS BACK!!!!!!

I was starting to think it was just me that couldn't get on, I even emailed domainsbyproxy/godaddy to see if the site owner needed help/cash to get the site back up, but didn't get a response

While your generosity is well appreciated, I honestly don't think they'd be able to tell you anything.  They may not know what his intentions are, short on cash or just throwing in the towel, and that'd violate all kinds of privacy rules to snitch on his being late to pay etc etc status.

Aaron

Grauteufel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 04:14:06 AM »

It was just a "can you please provide contact details/forward my contact details to site owner regarding operation of domain" email.

I'll second the appreciation we have for skadamo keeping the lights on, impressive he's doing it solo and without advetising.
Pages: [1]