• May 04, 2024, 12:58:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DSR - No Traction Control - Dangerous?  (Read 3057 times)

Jarrett

• View Profile
Re: DSR - No Traction Control - Dangerous?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2019, 05:12:58 PM »

I'm only 160 miles in, but I'm scratching my head a bit on the reported traction control issue on this bike.

I've literally tried multiple times to get the rear tire to break free and haven't been successful.  The demo bike I rode felt the same way.  Not sure if its just because I'm heavier, I'm weighting that rear wheel more or what, but so far, its not going anywhere.

What are the scenarios I need to watch for where the rear tire might slip on a DSR?  Is it just wet road and paint?

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2019, 06:37:42 PM »

I'm only 160 miles in, but I'm scratching my head a bit on the reported traction control issue on this bike.

I've literally tried multiple times to get the rear tire to break free and haven't been successful. 

What are the scenarios I need to watch for where the rear tire might slip on a DSR? 

In my three incidents a combination of cornering along with a heavy application of throttle.
On the last occurrence, cold tire temperature may have been a factor.

After changing tires I've not had any issues but likely I'm also smoother on the right wrist twist application.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2019, 06:47:10 PM »

I've literally tried multiple times to get the rear tire to break free and haven't been successful.  The demo bike I rode felt the same way.  Not sure if its just because I'm heavier, I'm weighting that rear wheel more or what, but so far, its not going anywhere.

What are the scenarios I need to watch for where the rear tire might slip on a DSR?  Is it just wet road and paint?

I weigh 230 and can spin the tire everytime I take off even with 90/10 street tires. Maybe different firmware between 2017 and 2019. I don't believe in updating my firmware if nothing is wrong.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2019, 12:00:21 AM »

Hmm, maybe they softened up the torque in 2019.  I could stand to use a bit more.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2019, 12:01:24 AM »

In my three incidents a combination of cornering along with a heavy application of throttle.
At what speeds?  Was it in that 0-30 mph range?  Or faster than that?

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2019, 12:33:45 AM »

Hmm, maybe they softened up the torque in 2019.  I could stand to use a bit more.

Have you tried custom mode yet? With 100% torque setting? It would be interesting to know if that makes a difference.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2019, 01:17:42 AM »

I think so.  It felt softer than Sport mode. 

I need to double check it via the app though and make sure the settings were accurate.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2019, 02:01:56 AM »

FWIW, my 2016 DSR only experiences the rear wheel breaking free and spinning up in cases of high surface oil on roads, or wet and loose gravel, or just mud.

And my rider training has minimized that certainly. But when I first encountered it, it was in those less than ideal conditions. I think perhaps a factor is riders being in different areas of the country where slick but dry roads are less visibly predictable.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2019, 02:17:45 AM »

FWIW, my 2016 DSR only experiences the rear wheel breaking free and spinning up in cases of high surface oil on roads, or wet and loose gravel, or just mud.

And my rider training has minimized that certainly. But when I first encountered it, it was in those less than ideal conditions. I think perhaps a factor is riders being in different areas of the country where slick but dry roads are less visibly predictable.

That's strange! I consider myself lucky than being able to break loose even from a rolling start whenever I want too.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2019, 05:40:01 AM »

This is what I'm experiencing as well.  If there is a little gravel on the road, I can blip the throttle and get it to break loose at will.  On a dirt road, I've got to be really careful in Sport mode as it spins constantly.  I typically switch to Eco mode there so far.

Side point, my DSR's Eco mode has less acceleration from a stop than my FX does with the torque set to 0%.  I find that odd.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2019, 07:36:34 AM »

Jarret, I noticed on your other thread you weigh 270 pounds. That along with the powertank, your total weight is 85 pounds more than mine, so that is probably the biggest factor why you can't spin that rear tire like I can.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2019, 07:43:18 AM »

Built in traction control :)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2019, 07:46:15 AM »

Side point, my DSR's Eco mode has less acceleration from a stop than my FX does with the torque set to 0%.  I find that odd.
My Zero DS 6.5 feels very fast in the eco mode. MUCH faster than my SR (with Pwr Tank) when in the eco mode. Very noticeable difference.

Not sure why, but I assume it's not only the difference in weight. Too large of a difference. I think perhaps the SR is detuned a bit in eco mode to try for a better range spec.

But when they are both in the Sport Mode, that all reverses. Then the SR is has a lot more acceleration than my DS.

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2019, 04:54:18 PM »

I was talking to Jeff @ Zero once and he mentioned in passing that the DSR Eco mode was one of the most tame settings on any of the bikes.  I didn't ask why, I should have.

Maybe its the same on the SR as well.  I find the Eco mode on the DSR fairly useless on the pavement, but it was nice to have off road as I just like to creep along mostly.  No worries about slipping the rear tire in anything, it seemed.  Having not grown up riding dirt bikes, I'm not much into roosting anyway.

The ability to dial the torque back on Zero bikes is pretty slick, imo.  That's another feature (possibly over looked) that is a key difference between them and ICE bikes, I think.  For example, my daughter's NC700X only makes like 50hp and 45 ft-lbs. of torque or something, but even with 50/50 tires, you can easily spin the rear wheel of that bike going slowly through a corner off road.  And the NC700X doesn't have traction control either, so its on you to keep it upright in the dirt.

But even with 116 ft-lbs of tire ripping torque available on the DSR, I can put it in Eco mode and deal with less dirt tire spinning than with the 45 ft-lbs of torque NC700X, because of the tame torque curve and linear throttle response.  Pretty slick, I think.  Kind of gives you the "two bikes" feel that I was mentioning earlier.  If the DSR only had one mode being Sport and no traction control, I'd never take it off road.  It would be too much of a handful for me to want to deal with.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2019, 08:16:57 AM »

At what speeds?  Was it in that 0-30 mph range?  Or faster than that?

I would have to guess at this point as it was too long ago to recall with accuracy.
I’m guessing +-30 twice & once +30.
Thinking about it a bit, road paint may have been a factor once or twice.

Also perhaps Zero made some changes to the throttle characteristics.

For what it’s worth, I’m about 210# suited up & don’t have any options in the tank (extra battery or charger).
Also I sit up to the tank so perhaps height on the rear is also a factor.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4