• May 05, 2024, 03:13:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alignment marks of the rear wheel  (Read 356 times)

KuRi

• View Profile
Alignment marks of the rear wheel
« on: January 25, 2020, 02:31:07 PM »

Hi!

One fast question... about both marks on the rear wheel, the ones that help you align the wheel and the belt... must they be at the exact same position on both sides? or are they just a reference and you must align the wheel using other methods/measurements?

Mine came from the factory with a little bit difference (1mm maybe) between both sides. The right one is just over the third mark but the left one is a little behind.
This is the mark I am talking about:
https://zeromanual.com/images/thumb/6/6e/Rear_Axle_Nut_and_right_adjustment_bolt_-_loosened.jpeg/800px-Rear_Axle_Nut_and_right_adjustment_bolt_-_loosened.jpeg

Thanks!
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Alignment marks of the rear wheel
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 08:28:56 PM »

Historically for all motorcycles, the swing arm alignment marks have never always been exactly right.  Use them as a guide and adjust your belt alignment so that it rides correctly on the rear cogwheel with a steady 1mm gap between the outer flange and the edge of the belt as the wheel turns.  As mentioned in other threads, that may take some fiddling with the adjustment screws to get exactly right.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 03:38:54 AM »

Thanks Richard, I think that is what I wanted to hear and it was my initial thought :)
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 07:27:17 AM »

Hi!

One fast question... about both marks on the rear wheel, the ones that help you align the wheel and the belt... must they be at the exact same position on both sides? ...........

There's mark's??? ;D

I'm not even cognitive of these lines/marks as they are of no meaning (to me).
I just shared my belt adjustment procedure here......https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9787.msg87263#new

Proper belt alignment/tension can be a trying process especially on your first attempt.

The problem is that the belt is only on one side (Left) and therefore the greater the belt tension, the greater the rotation of the axel/wheel (Clockwise). To compound it, the belt MUST be somewhat centered on the rear sheave (sprocket).
Further complicating the procedure, the belt will travel to the left in the sheave when the axle nut is thightened so needs to be setup to the right of center first.

Once the belt is properly aligned/tensioned, it fairly easy to make the nessecary adjustments for subsequent services. 

I would like to see Zero &/or every other motorcycle manufacturer to have the belt side jack screw (bolt) drive the wheel away from the motor (add tension) and the opposite sides jack screw driving the axle/wheel back towards the motor to counter the axle rotation due to the belt tension. 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 08:17:51 PM »

Hi!

One fast question... about both marks on the rear wheel, the ones that help you align the wheel and the belt... must they be at the exact same position on both sides? ...........

There's mark's??? ;D

I'm not even cognitive of these lines/marks as they are of no meaning (to me).
I just shared my belt adjustment procedure here......https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9787.msg87263#new

Proper belt alignment/tension can be a trying process especially on your first attempt.

The problem is that the belt is only on one side (Left) and therefore the greater the belt tension, the greater the rotation of the axel/wheel (Clockwise). To compound it, the belt MUST be somewhat centered on the rear sheave (sprocket).
Further complicating the procedure, the belt will travel to the left in the sheave when the axle nut is thightened so needs to be setup to the right of center first.

Once the belt is properly aligned/tensioned, it fairly easy to make the nessecary adjustments for subsequent services. 

I would like to see Zero &/or every other motorcycle manufacturer to have the belt side jack screw (bolt) drive the wheel away from the motor (add tension) and the opposite sides jack screw driving the axle/wheel back towards the motor to counter the axle rotation due to the belt tension.

I liked the tensioning system that was on my 2012 Zero S.  It had a fixed axle and you moved the motor back and forth to adjust the belt tension.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]