• May 15, 2024, 06:23:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Storage Box Key Lock Alternative?  (Read 954 times)

slant911

• View Profile
Storage Box Key Lock Alternative?
« on: January 19, 2022, 09:41:55 PM »

There are times when I need to get in to the storage box which requires turning the bike off, pulling out the key and opening the box.  I thought I saw some time ago a mod to that so that you could get in the box while keeping the key in the ignition.  Not sure if it was a push button or modified second key or what.  Any leads appreciated.

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Storage Box Key Lock Alternative?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 03:37:06 AM »

Did your bike not come with a second key? Could just get another one made if not. If you don't care about security you can probably find a barrel with a thumb turner that would fit, should be similar to something that would go on a locker.

staples

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 04:12:43 AM »

Hack in an entire keyless system:

slant911

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 09:54:03 PM »

Did your bike not come with a second key? Could just get another one made if not. If you don't care about security you can probably find a barrel with a thumb turner that would fit, should be similar to something that would go on a locker.
I do have a second key but then would have to remember to take that key with me too.  Yes some kind of thumb barrel and a key blank that will not start the bike in the event someone figures out there is a key there.  A dummy key if you will. Or complete swap to a pushbutton?

slant911

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 10:11:33 PM »

Hack in an entire keyless system:

Very cool but not prepared to hack the electrical system.  He lost me at trickery...

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 02:58:03 AM »

I do have a second key but then would have to remember to take that key with me too.  Yes some kind of thumb barrel and a key blank that will not start the bike in the event someone figures out there is a key there.  A dummy key if you will. Or complete swap to a pushbutton?
I was talking about replacing the whole barrel, with something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401932952823

Delly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 06:59:02 AM »

I feel your pain  ;D, I wish zero had made it a push button lock similar to the ones used on glass patio doors. The lock allows or prevents the button from being pushed that way you have access while on the bike and it can be locked when off. Here’s an example of what I’m talking about:

https://www.siraweb.com/loc-push-button-t960?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI97X6n5fJ9QIVdPDjBx0Xww33EAQYBCABEgKoNvD_BwE

slant911

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 09:36:02 PM »

I feel your pain  ;D, I wish zero had made it a push button lock similar to the ones used on glass patio doors. The lock allows or prevents the button from being pushed that way you have access while on the bike and it can be locked when off. Here’s an example of what I’m talking about:

https://www.siraweb.com/loc-push-button-t960?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI97X6n5fJ9QIVdPDjBx0Xww33EAQYBCABEgKoNvD_BwE

Yes something like that would be ideal.  Wonder if anyone has tried to R and R.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 03:29:21 AM »

I'm confused about how that lock works. Does pushing it in rotate the mechanism? And turning the key prevents it from being pressed (locks it in the out position)?

bandanabob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 08:46:16 AM »

It’s a pretty easy fix. Saw it somewhere I just had an extra key made that doesn’t work the ignition. Cut it down and put it in a guitar tuning knob. I leave it in most of the time. I can post pics if needed.
2020 Zero sr/f
1990 Harley fxrs

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 03:02:41 PM »

How was the key modified so that it works on one lock but not the other? Unless the storage lock has one less pin I don't see how that would be possible.

slant911

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 09:48:40 PM »

It’s a pretty easy fix. Saw it somewhere I just had an extra key made that doesn’t work the ignition. Cut it down and put it in a guitar tuning knob. I leave it in most of the time. I can post pics if needed.

So no transmitter in it!  Brilliant.  Could you post a pic?  TIA

bandanabob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 12:38:37 AM »

Correct There’s no chip in the key and will not start the bike. There are lots of choices for knobs just search the web. Not difficult to cut down to fit and is secure in place and won’t fall out when riding. I’ll try to attach photos but not having good luck with that.
2020 Zero sr/f
1990 Harley fxrs

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 04:39:57 AM »

Oh I see, I didn't realise the SR/F had a transmitter in the key. Don't know why bikes do that, sucks if you want to get a replacement made.

slant911

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 06:58:05 AM »

Correct There’s no chip in the key and will not start the bike. There are lots of choices for knobs just search the web. Not difficult to cut down to fit and is secure in place and won’t fall out when riding. I’ll try to attach photos but not having good luck with that.

Awesome.  Thank You.
Pages: [1] 2