• May 14, 2024, 09:20:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mounting Jw Speaker 6in Adaptive 2 Light  (Read 711 times)

Burton

• View Profile
Mounting Jw Speaker 6in Adaptive 2 Light
« on: May 01, 2018, 09:22:44 PM »

This is version one. I had originally intended to mount this light with fork brackets but they were too small ... so I took a couple hours and whipped this up.

Parts:
1) ~2.5mm / 0.09" 6061 aluminum and feels really solid when installed. ( I cut this with a shaper origin using a milling bit. )
2) Jw Speaker 6" Adaptive 2 (means when high beam is on so is the low beam)
3) Motodemic 6" bucket (they only make one which is side mounted ... you need 8mm 1.25 pitch screws and a spacer ... both which I pulled off another crap bucket I bought which didn't work out ... motodemic will sell you these and the spacer if you ask)

See post 4 for important information on wiring up front!

The attached picture shows how I got basic dimensions for the bracket and the idea of where I am attaching to. In the future I will extend this bracket to better clean up the front end and match the top portion like the stock light does. But for now this is good enough for mounting.

After getting the outline I used a caliper and sketchup to mock up the bracket so I could export a real to size SVG to use in the shaper origin. (shown right)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:32:19 PM by Burton »
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Mounting Jw Speaker 6in Adaptive 2 Light
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 09:23:09 PM »

In the attached image here you can see the shaper origin has cut one of the brackets out and is in the process of cutting the other. I don't have a water jet so this is good enough for me ;)

To the right you can see one of the finished brackets. The protective plastic coating is still on the aluminum ... even as it is installed on the bike right now as I didn't want to expose it without knowing what finish I will apply.

That said I will likely do a flat black finish and if I ever do a run of these I will anodize them to match the bottom bracket.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:25:53 PM by Burton »

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 09:23:28 PM »

Here you can see the 6" bucket installed (man it was a PINA to install the JW Speaker light with those little retaining clips) ...

After this I charged up to about 94% and got out on the road at night. I visited a local twisty road which has no street lights to test it out and it is amazing. The low beam I feel could be brighter but having the adaptive lighting ability when going into corners allowed me to go the speed limit safely on the road which is amazing.

The high beam may as well be the sun ... it is really that bright. I found myself intentionally turning it off when approaching residential areas and just so I could see the ability of the adaptive lighting.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:28:47 PM by Burton »

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 09:32:27 PM »

Now the stock wiring (seen left in the attachment) is an issue ...

The wires are long enough they are wrapped around each other and it creates this odd bulge which pushes the light further out ... I didn't want this so I took it apart.

There are two zip ties I had to remove, one on left attached to the ignition (when looking at the bundle), and the small one attached to the wires going to the brake lever switch. The latter because I wanted to fish the wires through differently to make it more flattened.

When I was done I reattached the top left zip tie but this time with unwound cables which sit largely flat. I fed the break switch line differently to make it sit better, zip tied the whole bundle to keep it tight, and left the headlight H4 connector loose and coming out the right side to better fit into the bucket. The daylight running light connector was tapped off to prevent any water causing errors.

Without doing the above I could not install the light like I wanted to ... take note if you are thinking of a mod like this that you will have to deal with the "knot" behind your stock light :/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:44:51 PM by Burton »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 12:43:01 AM »

Nice work! I've used https://www.bigbluesaw.com/ for waterjetting pieces like this, and they'll accept suitable CAD files for processing.

On the note of the wiring snarl, maybe we should make a variant where the bracket pushes the headlamp out further.

On the other hand, Hollywood Electrics' fairing bracketing seems about to ship and maybe that can accommodate this better (especially as it avoids rotating the headlamp with the steering, but that may be a matter of preference/taste).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 02:20:34 AM »

Nice work! I've used https://www.bigbluesaw.com/ for waterjetting pieces like this, and they'll accept suitable CAD files for processing.

Thanks for the lead ... can they do complex bends on cut pieces and anodize as well?

On the note of the wiring snarl, maybe we should make a variant where the bracket pushes the headlamp out further.

On the other hand, Hollywood Electrics' fairing bracketing seems about to ship and maybe that can accommodate this better (especially as it avoids rotating the headlamp with the steering, but that may be a matter of preference/taste).

I wasn't really thinking of "producing" this as but it wouldn't be hard to push the light forward as I have the file in sketchup. I am planning on a modification of this idea to be designed later which I could see people wanting. But I have a feeling HE already offers something like it if you ask them.

In my mind if you are willing to spend ~$600 on a headlight you are willing to spend the extra money to mount it ... and I don't see many people spending over $60 for their "LED" light mods so I doubt there would be a big demand for what I have created. ;)

But like most things I do I like to document them and share when I can. The HE fairing mod with the light mounted inside will give someone better mileage than my simple mounting for sure :D
Pages: [1]