• May 12, 2024, 12:58:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nema 5-15 J1772 chargers  (Read 1735 times)

Kill3rT0fu

• View Profile
Re: Nema 5-15 J1772 chargers
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 02:11:46 AM »

...Are there any chargers that are truly just 8amp? If I move into a building that doesn't have decent wiring (apartment buildings), I don't want breakers tripping.

The CAN Bus module for Diginow system can instruct the charger modules to draw less current. You could always rip out that CAN Bus module and substitute your own to do whatever you like.

If you want something plug-and-play then have a read through the Elcon TC HK-H 1800W Charger (on Zero Motorcycles 2013+) (EMF) thread; the HK-H 1800W programmed as described there has half the current draw at 120Vac than at 240Vac (so, it would be less current draw than the stock S/DS on-board charger on 120Vac and slightly more current draw on 240Vac). Personal rant: I'm glad that topic what I started has got a lot of mileage. Any charging is always better than no charging  ;D

Even if I have 1 diginow charger hooked up, should it really be drawing 15+ amps ? I guess my thinking was the level 1 charger was going to be the one throttling charge speeds.

Also, can't the diginow chargers be programmed via bluetooth and a terminal interface?
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Chargers#DigiNow_Super_Charger_V2.5
Should I try these to program the charger(s)? Or continue troubleshooting the level 1 charger that keeps faulting?

-edit-
well, I tried. Installed a bluetooth serial app (not HM-10 as the wiki suggests, but LightBlue LE), but I couldn't even see the diginows to pair with the phone.

-edit 2-
https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=10445.msg95557#msg95557
This forum is like a puzzle.
Apparently I have the v3, which doesn't have bluetooth. So there's no way to adjust the charge level.

*sigh* I should've just bought a charge tank. So what options are on the table now? NewZeroland recommended on his video to use just 1 diginow charger, which is what I thought I've been doing (only 1 of the 2 that are daisy chained together is plugged in at the andersen connector) Would I have to use the third independent diginow that connects directly to the battery?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 05:41:10 AM by Kill3rT0fu »

TEV

• View Profile
Re: Nema 5-15 J1772 chargers
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2021, 04:10:55 PM »

One DigiNow charger will draw 16A when connected to 120V, and 32A when connected to 240V.
The DigiNow Charger isn't an EVSE compatible charger, an EVSE it's just an electrical outlet that can tell to a charger what is the maximum power that can take from it without tripping the breaker, the EVSE compatible charger is the one that it's adjusting to the power available from the EVSE, the DigiNow Chargers are not communicating with the EVSE, relaying on the operator to only plug it in the appropriate ( power wise ) outlet, this is making the system more simple, and you can connect it to a variety of outlets, without having to buy an EVSE box/cord.   
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS
Pages: 1 [2]