• May 04, 2024, 11:27:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Drive belt snapped!  (Read 3751 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: Drive belt snapped!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 04:44:02 AM »

Good news, Zero have agreed to replace the belt under warranty, given the circumstances. I'll be in touch with Streetbike tomorrow to arrange pickup etc. It's a relief to know the new belt will be fitted by them and everything checked and verified.

Thanks again Terry and everyone else. Interesting that you got 40,000 out of a belt!

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 05:23:44 AM »

I found the belt! Streetbike delivered my Zero back today and my first ride on it was to go and look for the belt. I found it on the opposite side of the slip road I was expecting it. If Zero want it back for analysis, I've offered to post it to them.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 05:38:37 PM »

A picture with both ends as close as you can mate them from the bottom and top would be interesting to see as well.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 07:55:53 PM »

More pics. Zero want the belt so it's going back to Streetbike.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 08:48:59 PM »

You can see how it tore.. stressed one side until it snapped.. that stressed the next cable...and the next...

Its likely your rear wheel was crooked and not square with the motor. That makes the belt tension all on one side.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 03:22:49 AM »

Thanks Dude, I was thinking along those lines too. Kudos to the Doctor too, who talked about alignment and the tight tolerances.

I hope I get some feedback from Zero on this and if so I'll share it, but I'm convinced we know the answer already.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 07:02:50 PM »

It looks like a puncture in the belt from one of the last pictures  where the two ends meet. Thread stress soon followed.  This problem really has me thinking though.  A guard would be nice and some what mandatory for off rad bikes like the FX and DS.

TJOBriens

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »

I would like to start a thread or use one that is already up to see how the belts get broken but I am new to the whole forum thing.

I have only seen one good Description and it was a stick getting caught. 

I would like to see pictures of broken belts when they happen.  Show the stick in the belt or at least show the size of the stick.  Something.

I would like this to be mostly pictures so that people like me who are considering buying a bike can see if a belt is right for them.  The pictures will help show terrain weather conditions and the condition of the belt when it broke.

Can I use this thread to do that?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 01:12:54 AM »

I would like to start a thread or use one that is already up to see how the belts get broken but I am new to the whole forum thing.

I have only seen one good Description and it was a stick getting caught. 

I would like to see pictures of broken belts when they happen.  Show the stick in the belt or at least show the size of the stick.  Something.

I would like this to be mostly pictures so that people like me who are considering buying a bike can see if a belt is right for them.  The pictures will help show terrain weather conditions and the condition of the belt when it broke.

Can I use this thread to do that?

Please start a new thread so that we can find it. Changing a thread's focus makes it really hard to find anything.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 [2]