• May 07, 2024, 02:34:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 12V connector  (Read 7527 times)

dc5dd

• View Profile
Re: 12V connector
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 03:58:53 AM »

Wow morimaxx thanks for the very detailed images.  I'm with you and trikester it looks like the same thing except I can't find the plug behind the triple clamp?  I was thinking that with the 12V socket and a plugin 2.1amp usb I would have all that I need in the way of accessory charging connections.  One thing though can you plug a shorty usb into the socket and still close the cap?  Thanks guys this solution is way better than the 50 bucks for the oem one.

P.S. I measured the cutout on the "dash" and it measured 1-1/16 or 1-1/8 inches so that would be the same but I'm not sure about the notch in the cutout.  I see that the socket from HD doesn't have the notch?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:03:24 AM by dc5dd »

morimaxx

• View Profile
    • My personal blog (german only)
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 01:35:33 AM »

Dc5dd: the lighter socket from HD has got two notches. It came without a clamp. The cap of it can only be closed propper without a plug inserted. But I don't use the ligher socket. I've cut it off and connected an USB charging Socket directly to the plug matching with my Zero.

http://www.baas-parts.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69%3Ausb2-bordsteckdose&catid=5%3Aelektronik&directory=1&lang=en

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 11:08:55 AM »

Dc5dd: the lighter socket from HD has got two notches. It came without a clamp. The cap of it can only be closed propper without a plug inserted. But I don't use the ligher socket. I've cut it off and connected an USB charging Socket directly to the plug matching with my Zero.

Morimaxx, I think I should have taken a picture, below is the SR with a picture of the "dash".  As you can see it has a cutout with one notch up top for the lighter socket, it doesn't need a clamp just a nut to tighten down over the cutout.  I think I can cut the inner rubber off the cap and fit the usb plug inside.  It's looking good. :D

Spenny818

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »

http://www.baas-parts.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69%3Ausb2-bordsteckdose&catid=5%3Aelektronik&directory=1&lang=en

morimaxx - what USB socket do you use to wire directly into the 12V? I have a 2013 S as well, and your installation looks very clean!

morimaxx

• View Profile
    • My personal blog (german only)
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »

Spenny818: I've ordered the Buell part number Y0198.1AK directly from Harley Davidson, the plug matches with the socket on the Zero S 2013 under the "tank"; I've cut off the lighter socket and connected it directly to a BAAS USB2 socket: http://www.baas-parts.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69%3Ausb2-bordsteckdose&catid=5%3Aelektronik&directory=1&lang=en

In Germany the USB socket is available e.g. via Amazon: http://www.amazon.de/Baas-USB2-BAAS-USB-STECKDOSE-1A/dp/B009RM9JW2 or at a Louis store http://www.louis.de/index.php?partner=onmacon-pla&topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10032867
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:21:45 PM by morimaxx »

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 02:25:03 AM »

Just an update I purchased the light socket from an harley dealer online and the socket fit exactly into the cutout with the notch and the wire assembly has just enough wire to reach the sumitomo connector.  Also I purchased a Scosche usb socket but that extends beyond the lighter socket about half inch so the idea of just capping it with the socket cap is out unless something is modded.  Still I think the ability to switch between the light socket and usb is as versatile as it get.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 10:37:07 AM »

I bought the shortest USB adapter I could find, to plug into the socket, and so far I haven't snagged it on any bushes while dirt riding. However, that could be just a matter of time and luck running out.  :-[

Trikester

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2014, 01:40:15 AM »

Trikester

This is what I have so far.  I'm sure there can be something made to cap the lighter socket with the USB plug securely.  I don't believe the way I travel I would have to worry about snagging but that is a good point something that small flying off will be lost whether in the woods or on the highway.

Danny
Pages: 1 2 [3]