Makes And Models > Zero Motorcycles Forum | 2013+

In Zero I Trust? (Thermal Management)

<< < (2/5) > >>

ESokoloff:

--- Quote from: MrDude_1 ---.……...........
back on topic though... the monitoring system for the motor is simple, never let it go over a set amount, and then the magnet can never excced that amount. basic physics explains why that works.

--- End quote ---

Well that didn't help me much.

Do I put my faith in the bike/Zero or do I take an active roll in this process?

And what would that "set amount" be?

DPsSRnSD:

--- Quote from: ESokoloff on October 02, 2017, 10:07:41 PM ---Do I put my faith in the bike/Zero or do I take an active roll in this process?

--- End quote ---

Try to ride the bike within it's limits so the protection circuitry doesn't kick in unless you're in an emergency situation. It's up to you what constitutes an emergency.

ESokoloff:

--- Quote from: DPsSRnSD on October 02, 2017, 10:35:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: ESokoloff on October 02, 2017, 10:07:41 PM ---Do I put my faith in the bike/Zero or do I take an active roll in this process?

--- End quote ---

Try to ride the bike within it's limits so the protection circuitry doesn't kick in unless you're in an emergency situation. It's up to you what constitutes an emergency.

--- End quote ---

What are it's limits?

I know that the hi temp warning kicks in at 210-212°f but that's all I know.
I'm unsure at what temperature power is automatically reduced and my question is, should I trust Zero to manage this for me?

DPsSRnSD:
Page 4.5 of the 2016 S/SR/DS/DSR manual.

ESokoloff:

--- Quote from: DPsSRnSD on October 02, 2017, 11:04:58 PM ---Page 4.5 of the 2016 S/SR/DS/DSR manual.

--- End quote ---

Ok, here's that....

"Temperature Indicator
reduction, you can choose to slow down a bit until the indicator stops flashing.
Zero Motorcycles has developed the most advanced passively air-cooled electric powertrain for your Zero motorcycle, delivering an unsurpassed level of simplicity, power/energy density, low weight and ease of maintenance. However, this passively air-cooled powertrain cannot be operated indefinitely at high
• Stage 2, if temperature continues to build, the indicator light will go solid, letting you know that the thermal strategy is now being applied and that your motorcycle’s power will be reduced accordingly. If you encounter the strategy while trying to maintain a high vehicle speed, the effect of the strategy will be that your motorcycle will be gradually slowed down to the point that the top speed of the bike is “sustainable,” from a thermal standpoint. If you encounter the strategy due to a different sustained high power event, such as continued powering through a low traction surface, power will simply be reduced to ensure the continued safe operation of your powertrain.
power / high rpm without reaching its thermal limitations. Hence, your Zero motorcycle has a sophisticated thermal management strategy to ensure the long term performance and durability of its powertrain.
The red temperature indicator light (A) on your Zero motorcycle’s lower dash has two informational stages.
Please note that the lighting of this temperature indicator does not indicate that there’s anything malfunctioning with your Zero motorcycle; it is simply letting you know that the thermal strategy is working. If you do not moderate your speed/power, the bike’s system will reduce your speed/power until your Zero can maintain its maximum allowable thermal state; but no harm whatsoever will result from this, since this is exactly how the strategy is meant to function.
• Stage 1, is presented by flashing this indicator and advises you that the bike is about to enter its thermal strategy. To avoid encountering an enforced power"

http://media.zeromotorcycles.com/resources/owners-manuals/2016/2016-Zero-Owners-Manual-S-SR-DS-DSR.pdf

My question still remains.
Do I trust Zero to protect the health of my machine & continue to enjoy flogging it or do I back down on the throttle & limit the thermal level myself?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version