• May 04, 2024, 02:02:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Separate Dirt Tires & Spoke Rims for Zero FXE 2021  (Read 1683 times)

jesterxl

• View Profile
Separate Dirt Tires & Spoke Rims for Zero FXE 2021
« on: September 03, 2022, 08:59:38 PM »

After testing my Zero FXE 2021 off road last weekend, I'd like to get some dirt tires and rims. That way, I can swap out the tires for my Mon-Fri work commute / fun city times, but for the off road weekends, I can swap the dirt tires. Tons of questions, though (I'm super n00b):

1. Is this normal; having 2 sets of tires like this? I've read it only takes 10 minutes to do it if you're experienced + have the equipment so I'm fine if it takes me 3 hours to change back-and-forth as I learn.
2. What do I buy? I've read on this form, Discord, and others about various tires FX users have used that sound fun. It sounds like I need front and back tire, spoke rims, tubes, and the various equipment for removing tires + adding/removing the tire itself to & from the rims.
3. What _size_ do I buy? A Discord user says your tires have to fit. Does that mean I _have_ to get a front 110/70-17 and rear 140/70-17 rim and tire, or can I go up to a 21" rim on the front? Any wiggle room here?
4. Where can I buy the tire & rim? I've seen most of the tools at Lowes & Amazon, but confused if I should buy at my local car tire shop, a local tire shop, amazon, or a local motorcyle shop.

If there is something I should read/watch online, appreciate those too. Thanks!

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Separate Dirt Tires & Spoke Rims for Zero FXE 2021
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 07:29:38 PM »

Before you go spending a lot of money you might want to give some dual purpose tyres a go, if you're not pushing things too hard they might not hamper you on or off road. You're looking at around $6-800 for the wheels from AF1 Racing, a front brake rotor is over $300 (couldn't find the rear rotor), and then you'll want a decent centre lift, belt tension meter, and any tools you don't already have.

I went with Dunlop Trailmax Missions and they came to the equivalent of about $370 and I've found them rather good both on and off road. I'm not one to lean super low but I can accelerate full throttle without breaking traction in the dry and I've had no issues riding in the wet, even though my ABS is busted I haven't skidded the front even with some hard braking. Off road I haven't tried more aggressive tyres to compare to but they seem decent in my opinion, better than the stock DS tyres. I mostly ride when it's dry because I don't enjoy getting muddy and having to clean my bike but even through some wet mud they've been good.

SHAG

• View Profile
2022 FXE
BMW F750-GS
Yamaha X-Max
Lectric XP 2.0

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 11:40:28 PM »

Pump the brakes turbo! There’s a lot going on here that you need to consider in order to be able to swap wheels quickly.

Rim size. FXE has 17” rims, 320mm front brake rotor (which uses a different caliper and mount)

The FX which uses spoked rims are 18” rear and 21” front which is better suited to dirt.

Rear is a straight swap but you’ll need another pulley and rotor unless you want to swap those to your other wheel.

Rear wheel will be approximately

$300 rim
$50 rotor
$150 pulley
+ tire, tube, rim strip, hardware and air!

Your around $6-700 USD, depending on what tire you choose.

The front is more complicated and therefore expensive.

You should be able to find a 17” knobby or whatever on the stock rim but it’s not going to handle like a purpose built dirt weapon.

Still $300 rim, $80 rotor, tire, etc.

Or use a stock FX wheel with a 320mm rotor. Nobody makes one that I can find but one could be custom made or modified from a supermoto rotor.

If you had FX fork legs, rotor, caliper and wheel you can do a straight bolt on swap. May want to get the master cylinder as well which requires opening up the brake system, bleeding etc. this will be even more expensive and will take more than 10 minutes.

I don’t know what exactly you want to do on this bike so I won’t suggest any specific tires. However some dual sport tread on the stock 17”s would probably be a blast to take anywhere.

Hope this helps helps in some capacity 

Say10

jesterxl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 06:12:14 PM »

Y'all are amazing, thank you so much for these helpful replies! I didn't realize the brake calipers may not fit new rim, that makes sense.

I'll take y'alls advice and get some dual sport tires to start. HOWEVER, y'all need to talk me down from the Heidenau K60 Scout instead of the Shinko 705. They appear more 50/50 despite my Mon-Fri commute being 100% street. It also looks like they removed the solid center line to combat the skidding in wet conditions. Do you think I'll regret it, and should just do the Shinko's?

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 08:38:51 PM »

I would say go for the K60s, the Shinkos could end up being a disappointment and have you feeling like you need to get the separate wheels with proper knobbies. However it would seem that none of the tyres we've suggested come in a 17" front.

I had a quick look at the shop where I ordered my tyres and found the Kenda K6327 and Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR in sizes that should work. They actually look identical in tread pattern so not sure if the Kendas are knock-offs of the Pirellis.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 07:52:04 AM »

A tire that is great for dirt will be terrible on the road and vice versa. Dual purpose tires are a compromise, balance how much time you spend on road vs offroad in your decision. 

Tires like the TKC 80 and Shinko 805 have big blocky lugs that result in great traction offroad but will give you much less grip on the road plus a good bit more road noise. This is due to the interrupted tread pattern along with the harder rubber compounds needed. I had a few "moments" in the wet when a ran Heidenau K60 on my dual sport.

Something like a Shinko 705 or TKC 70 might be the better option as they have a more uninterrupted tread pattern.

Another option is to mix and match. Run a more road oriented tire in the front to give you good braking performance and a more dirt focused tire in the rear for offroad traction. It's still a compromise.

Pages: [1]