• May 04, 2024, 09:37:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Good cheap level 2 charging cord  (Read 1432 times)

SwampNut

• View Profile
Good cheap level 2 charging cord
« on: November 04, 2023, 11:24:58 PM »

My Zero came with a level 1 cord, so I did some shopping.  I put this on my eBay watch list, and the vendor sent me an offer for $100 shipped a couple days later.  Smokin' deal, works great, and has good info on the screen.  It can be adjusted in cases where an outlet can't support full power.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266382374129

I have no affiliation with the seller or manufacturer.

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Good cheap level 2 charging cord
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 05:48:57 AM »

You can find a lot of good charging cords with a lot of whistles and bells on e bay, analzon etc.

I use the Vevor one, I like that it has a wattmeter and a total watthours put into the bike mode on it.

Get one cord, and you can make yourself 3 or 4 very small pigtails to plug into them so you can jack onto any plug there is to charge.  No matter which form factor, you can plug and play.

Aaron

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 06:38:54 AM »

I found it cheaper to buy a few adapters than to buy the parts to make my own, except for the L6-30 which I already had on hand.  I bought a number for the Tesla years ago and now they will go with me for a Zero road trip where I will be faced with random outlets.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 08:07:34 AM »

I had issues with the adapters I tried to buy.
Apparently they did not understand the split phase thing of the Americas very well when they made them.
They put one power leg to both legs on the other side, the other power just terminated nowhere,  and had a hard time understanding that Neutral / Ground in those instances is the return leg, and NOT just a fault leg when dealing with 115. It was really wierd and didn't work the way they hooked them so I had to return them.

aaron

MyFirstElectric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 10:36:44 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266382374129

Pity, I'd have loved to see it, but everytime I see an ebay link, ebay page says "We've looked long and hard everywhere but we cannot find it" (sth like that).
I will never understand how people successfully buy on ebay. To me, it's the greatest CON site of all. Just to me, I know.  ::)
Be nice, I am not here to feel insulted nor to harm you

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 11:22:35 PM »

Listings expire.  That's no con.

Here is the description for your search:

Godiag EV-B04 Level 2 EV Charger 32A 220V NEMA 14-50 21 ft Cable Portable

This is the vendor's own site:  https://www.godiagshop.com/wholesale/godiag-ev-charger-32a.html

Note they also have an inexpensive Tesla to J adapter, so you can use the Tesla destination chargers.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 12:15:39 AM »

Even expired it should still let you see the listing unless it's like years old.
Sometimes the crap at the very end of the url can cause grief with some browsers.  Security programs can cause that to happen as well at times.

There are so many cords out there now it's crazy.  If one is only going to get a cord for their E bike, it'd be wise to look at the max amps the bike can take, in Energica's example, it's 15 amps max, 120 or 240 volt, so why pay extra for a 32A charger when a 15 or 20 would work for a decent amount of money less.
A decent L2 charger should also let you charge on a L1 with an adapter cord, it will just take twice as long since the voltage is only half.  You can also make an adapter easily too.  If you have issues, put the L2 leg on the charger to ground, that gives the 115 somewhere to go to complete the circuit.  That's a big problem I am finding with a lot of these adapters is they don't understand the American split phase too well and put the power on both legs.  240 volt, yes, 115 NO! generally the 115 adapters wont work then.

Aaron

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 12:26:52 AM »

I would like eBay to change their retention policy also, it's stupid.  But it's not a con, they just think they are saving storage, and they are.

Matching your cord to your vehicle is always good, although, for a couple bucks more you can future proof your purchase.  Buying a 16/24 would have saved me less than $20.  My bike can max out a 30a 120v such as an RV outlet, and around 26a 240v.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 12:32:17 AM »

I eventually will get an electric truck. So ultimately got the 40 amp charging cord for that too.  Was looking at the Rivian but not so impressed with it now.  Range is going way down over what they originally posted, and there ARE some issues that they are pretty much ignoring.  When a company ignores issues, yet posts a new scent of unicorn fart you can waft into your 'life cabin' every other week, it tells me they are not really concerned with real issues.

Tesla's truck looked impressive, is probably like a tank if it gets into an accident, which is GOOD !! but the design of it, hmm.  I want to see them on the roads a bit first before jumping into that big of a purchase as well, but it'd be nice to be able to use my Tesla to fast charge my bike at the race track.  it'd save me having to haul my power trailer around too :D

But, if it does not self load and unload the bed full of gravel, then it's game off  8) ;D

Aaron

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 01:27:36 AM »

I eventually will get an electric truck. So ultimately got the 40 amp charging cord for that too.  Was looking at the Rivian but not so impressed with it now.  Range is going way down over what they originally posted, and there ARE some issues that they are pretty much ignoring.  When a company ignores issues, yet posts a new scent of unicorn fart you can waft into your 'life cabin' every other week, it tells me they are not really concerned with real issues.

Tesla's truck looked impressive, is probably like a tank if it gets into an accident, which is GOOD !! but the design of it, hmm.  I want to see them on the roads a bit first before jumping into that big of a purchase as well, but it'd be nice to be able to use my Tesla to fast charge my bike at the race track.  it'd save me having to haul my power trailer around too :D

But, if it does not self load and unload the bed full of gravel, then it's game off  8) ;D

Aaron

Rivians seem to be quite popular around here. I see them parked all the time. And speaking of the Tesla truck one has already been in an accident on Skyline Boulevard (State Highway 35) in the Santa Cruz Mountains just north of Alice's Restaurant a couple of weeks ago. It completely demolished a small Japanese car, but it was also extensively damaged, too. There is a YouTube video showing the accident and the presenter goes on a long rant about the design of the Telsa Cybertruck.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 02:17:43 AM »

So was the presenter the truck owner or the wrecked car owner?
Those jap cars, Ive been in a few accidents concerning them and they do seem to crumple pretty well.  Honda Civic, when it hit my trailer, just caved the entire side of it in, I was like, oh jesus dude you ok??  He was totally unharmed though so that's the main thing.  vehicles can be replaced, your life and health can not.  They are designed to self destruct around you, taking the energy of the impact away from you, so that's good.

I bet he finds that Stainless is going to be very expensive to replace as well.  From what I am hearing, it is VERY hard to work with, and each truck is just about custom built.  If that is so, that means that just buying another quarter panel etc, the fit may not be very well.  It didn't burst in flames, so that's a plus.  Everyone is always expecting e cars to turn into a litho-nuclear meltdown every time they get Pinto'd so when they don't, it s a good thing.   But then again, I see cars, regular ones on fire all the time on the side of the road after accidents, yet nobody complains about that, odd isn't it?

when you take thousands of pounds and smash it into each other, the law of gross tonnage will win every time, you are NOT getting away undamaged.  Thankfully nobody was hurt in that wreck.

Aaron

MyFirstElectric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 04:13:04 AM »

There are so many cords out there now it's crazy. 

Thanks Aaron. This sounds like you have much more insight than I have: Do you know of such one?
- I've been trying to find out which cabled plug I could take on long road trips (once I get my two new big batteries) that would enable me to use the "typical" mall / supercharger / whatever sockets to charge my EV bike?
- You know, I mean, public charging places.
- Basically, I am a little concerned how, and if, I may find sufficient places where I can "quickly" recharge my batteries while traveling?
- The batteries are custom-built for me (some nice Chinese guy on Aliexpress) and come each with a 10A charger only (although I have now asked him if for the 2nd battery order he can upgrade me to a >10A charger, and how many amps the batteries can be charged at all. Safely. Not reducing lifespan.
- So: The chargers come with standard wall 240V wall plugs (here in Europe)
- I've read of some "delta-q" and other, speedier, chargers, but have no clue what to look out for, as I don't even know what is common at public charging places.... (never had an EV until now), and bikes don't charge like cars, you know.

Has anyone of you gone on long road trips, and learned how to "quickly" recharge your batteries?

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 04:54:01 AM »

You cannot use public charges for your chargers which take household power.  We are talking about the J-1772 cord adapters which connect to household outlets and have a J-1772 output.  These exist in the US while your equivalent connector, I think, is Mennekes or type 1 (working from old memory).  You are indicating that your custom bike will have a household input, but you want to use a public charger, right?  I don't believe it's possible.  You definitely cannot use DC fast charging stations.  In theory you could use a public if an adapter existed, but that seems very unlikely.

Bikes do charge like cars, mostly.  SOME bikes and SOME cars have very low-end chargers that don't use public charging.  This seems to be what you have.  Mainstream bikes and cars have either public station AC inputs (Zero), or DC fast charging (Energica, Harley Lightning).  Teslas and other higher end vehicles also have DCFC, and cheaper ones (Bolt, Smart) have AC charging.

10a/240v is 2400 watts, very low, what size are your batteries?  My zero has 17.3k and charges at 6.6k.

MyFirstElectric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2024, 09:51:00 AM »

Very interesting, thank you.
You are indicating that your custom bike will have a household input, but you want to use a public charger, right?  I don't believe it's possible.  You definitely cannot use DC fast charging stations.  In theory you could use a public if an adapter existed, but that seems very unlikely.
Yes, such adapter I was after. "that seems unlikely", pity!

I should go looking around to find some public charging stations and have a look. Thing is, in this country (currently!) I have never seen a public charging place anywhere, lol!
Hence why I am slightly concerned for the planned long road trips, and have ordered another battery from the same Chinese guy.
I was THINKING if old-style gas stations (petrol stations here) let an ebike owner plug their household plug into one of their wall sockets? Or which other "shops" might let us do that? Basically, I fear, everytime I need to recharge, I have to fill myself up with another 5 course menu to be allowed to recharge at a restaurant?

I wonder what other ebikers' experience is there?
As I don't use fb and any such thing, I have no contact to ebike rider groups, if such exist. (not here anyway, I bet)

Bikes do charge like cars, mostly. Mainstream bikes and cars have either public station AC inputs (Zero)
What would "public station AC inputs (Zero)" look like? Do you have a photo of plug / socket?

My zero has 17.3k and charges at 6.6k.
Woah, that I consider very fast! 6.6kW here no household socket can output, afaik (16A *230V is standard max). Thus your Zero can charge at almost twice that max.
Do you have a suitable charging socket at home? And publicly available also?

To answer your question: If the ship from China delivers(!?), I hope to soon have up to ~150Ah * 76.8V nominal = 11.5kW.

"My zero has 17.3k" - Unfathomable for me.  ;D How many miles can you go?? Or, rather (as I count that way): What wattage do you use per km, on average trips?

I noticed, the riding style has more influence than anything else! Except to demonstrate to others, I avoid "fast starts / acceleration" now. Hills here, I cannot avoid, unfortunately. They cost wattage too. When I just keep on flat roads "in the flow" (same, low, speed), the bike uses "almost nothing" (under 20W/km).

The Ukrainians, in their RideBikeShop videos, on their "Long Range Performance", went in a video for an hour at top speed on a highway (I watched the whole video, yeah).  ;D
I like their videos a lot (though don't understand a word). I was going to buy from them, that bike. But then they stopped responding. I read in the news, "all" men were drafted. Terrible situation there!! :(   :-[

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2024, 10:41:32 PM »

Get a charger for your bike and make adapters to fit whatever plug you may encounter, or buy the adapters.
If you go somewhere where it's a J plug, then you are good to go, if all they have is a standard outlet, then you have the portable charger to plug into that outlet, and the pigtails in case it's a different plug, to change whatever the common plug looks like, into a J plug for your bike.

I got one with a standard 115 vac because it was smaller, then made pigtails to plug into that that were the 240 volt most common ones we have in the US.  3 prong, 4 prong, so no matter where I go, if there is any power available, I can get it.  I also got some alligator clips so if I have to clip onto a bus or a wire somewhere, I can get power.

DO realize though that 115 charging is slow, you will spend several hours getting a little charge.  it literally is best if left overnight for a full night to charge on 115.  230 - 240 can be faster up to the rating of the plug you are at.  If it's only got a 30 amp breaker on it, then you are stuck at 7.2 kw, so even if your bike can take 12k, it will only feed it 7.2

Aaron
Pages: [1] 2 3