• May 04, 2024, 01:11:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cell phone (iPhone 15) handlebar mounted holder recommendation  (Read 1269 times)

ESokoloff

• View Profile
Cell phone (iPhone 15) handlebar mounted holder recommendation
« on: January 23, 2024, 07:03:05 AM »

A few years ago when a deer decided to commit suicide in front of me, I obliged & rode through the debris field.
Fortunately it was a young buck & my speed was down so I was able to keep upright. 
When I assessed my situation I found I was mostly ok but my phone had decided to leave its mount. Another good fortune was that when I circled back I found that the phone had survived quite well.

Here’s the mount….
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/techmount-techgripper-handlebar-mount-kit

When the iPhone 15 came out with auto 911 summons my wife insisted I give up my trusty old  10 for the 15.
Fast  forward to today on the way home in the poring rain I happen to look down at my phone & all kinds of activities going on.
Apparently the phone had slipped down in the side pinching mount & managed to double press two opposing side buttons & call 911 (a selectable feature).
Anyway, two strikes & it’s out. 

Anyone have a handlebar mounted holder that’s easy to use yet secure.
Not looking/needing vibration resistance as it’s for my 2016 DSR.

TIA
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Cell phone (iPhone 15) handlebar mounted holder recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 07:42:13 AM »

Quadlock is the obvious recommendation. Very secure, decent cases, can get a little finger ring thingy that clips into the case that's good as a kick stand as well as a more secure grip, loads of mounting options, options for wireless charging or a USB port, and they have a vibration damper should you choose to get an ICE bike as well. You can also get mounts for non-bike stuff like cars, desk stands, tripod adapters, arm bands, belt clips, wall mounts. Only downside is it's not cheap but I'd say it's definitely worth it.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 08:03:46 AM »

RamMounts work well.  I have one on my bike and have had my phone on the track, it can take the G forces and banging over a nasty railroad trellace and running at high speeds.  They have all sorts of mounts, handle bar, brake lever, goose neck, you  name it.  very versatile too, they have several size 'arms' for you to position stuff exactly where you want it at too.

Aaron

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 09:04:59 AM »

I went ahead & ordered the Ram mount Quick Grip.
The Quadlock looks interesting but I’m not sure I wanted a proprietary case that is an unknown commodity.
This option would be best assessed in person. 

I wasn’t impressed with the Ram X-Grip but the Quick Grip looks to be what I was looking for.

Thx all
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 09:39:36 AM »

The X Grip is trash, the Quick Grip looks a lot better though. It's still spring loaded but should be secure enough for all but the gnarliest off road riding. Only downsides are you can't quickly switch to landscape and when the phone isn't attached you still have a bulky mount there. Hopefully those fingers on the side don't interfere with any buttons but I imagine they've considered that.

Dunno what your worried about with the case though. Fair enough if you don't want one at all (they do make adhesive Quad Lock mounts for this) but the cases are otherwise very good.

Starpower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 12:34:34 AM »

So many stories of phone cameras ruined by the vibes, bumps and shakes on a motorcycle. Due to this, I got an old iPhone 6 on eBay for $40 for nav and track day data logging (Harry's).

I would get one that has the very best isolation from these hazards. Ruining an iPhone 15 is not cheap! To calm my wife for my off road/trail excursions in the Nat. Forest I got a Garmin InReach mini.
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 12:57:16 AM »

I use the X grip and it will hold up to pretty much any speed you go.  Never had a problem with it, just push the phone in and go.  It's got the rubber pads on the side which act like a cushion for the phone.  Those phones got the cases on them which are shock proofing too.  A bit of vibes from a bike should not ruin a camera on a phone unless you previously damaged it somehow.

Just put one on my new bike, tested it with an old phone on a closed roadway  :)  just to be sure it'd hold, because I want to use it on track days for data logging and track stuff, it held at very high speeds on the area we were travelling.  the thing you have to remember is, if you have a wind shield on your bike, which most do, the thing is sitting right behind that shield so really, not much air at all is hitting it, it's NOT in the slipstream of your bike so it's very sturdy and stable.

Aaron

Starpower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 10:29:30 PM »

FYI -

Apple has quietly added a new section to its support pages warning that motorcycle vibrations can damage an iPhone’s camera over time. As per Apple: “Exposing your iPhone to high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges, specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines, can degrade the performance of the camera system.”

So maybe a lower risk on a EV bike. Are you feeling lucky? Roads around me are so bad that I've bent a rim on a pot hole. Good phone goes in my pocket and cheapo on mount.
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 11:14:16 PM »

Hi power motorcycle engines.   hi frequency vibrations,  probably 10k and above  hence the engine rpm  screaming out at 140 db.
That would be a good case study though if the same problems are present in electric vehicles since a lot of that vibration is no longer present.

It can't really be the road vibes because they'd be present in an automobile too, so it has to be the rpm of the engine, bolted to the frame causing it,possibly in the ultrasonic range as well.

another reason to have a dampened / padded mounting system, to absorb the vibes rather than a straight metal to metal installation IMO.

why just apple and not samsung, they all use pretty much the same camera tech really.
Aaron

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 09:35:05 AM »

I’ve put about 85k miles on my iPhone X (Zero DSR) so not too worried about the 15.
I don’t know if I have the patience to deal with a second phone twice a day for my commute. 

I’ll try out the concept.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Starpower

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2024, 11:06:32 PM »

As I uderstand it, some iPhones have moving lens for focusing. This tiny mechanism is pretty fragile.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2024, 03:32:52 AM »

unless they design it to engage or disengage, maybe they need to redo their phones?  or use piezo movement or magnetic impulse, hell they already got a coil there for charging, use the thing for focus too.   Take my idea and make a billion out of it Apple, for payment, pay for a year or track time for me to test it out for you :D

Aaron

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2024, 04:32:52 AM »

The autofocus and stabilisation is already driven by magnetic coils, same as every other phone, you're not getting motors small enough for that. There is nothing unique about iPhone cameras that makes them more susceptible, indeed they're not the only one, they're just particularly fragile.

SwampNut

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2024, 06:10:34 AM »

This has wireless charging, an extremely secure hold, and vibration damping.  Very solid design and materials.  I have one on each motorcycle and on the e-mountain bike.  I'm not willing to use bulky cases or non-charging holders since I may be riding for hours and using nav, music, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFLFNRLS?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pages: [1] 2