• May 08, 2024, 07:31:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First 2000 miles and..  (Read 1656 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: First 2000 miles and..
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 09:26:05 PM »

...zero could easily order the bikes wiring harness with real waterproof connections which they should, but the electronics package would go up in price 25% or more...

I can't imagine that would be necessary. I doubt Honda spends that kind of money on all fully waterproof connectors on their bikes, and while (of course) some people occasionally have problems, by and large their bikes are extremely reliable in all kinds of weather. I'd imagine it's much more about connector location, wire routing, harness wrapping and securing, splash guards, that sort of thing. There are plastic trim pieces all over the bike, if you paid a little attention to detail you could easily, with little or no extra expense, create small spaces for the connectors that would be virtually impossible to get wet. I'd be willing to bet that just changing the rear fender to a wheel-hugger design would keep the spray under much better control and be a big help.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 09:44:08 PM »

The main connection on your controller physically needs to be a waterproof connection period! On both models (frames) street and fx the controller is positioned in the opposite but similar position, both with have the connector (wiring harness) plugging down into the cup of the controller this is a pocket for water. Without having a waterproof connector or liquid electrical taping the back and sides of that connector while connected there is now way for zero or anyone to waterproof the bike., even if you put a drip look before or after depending on bike and orientation, you would need a lot more than strategic placing.   The controller can't be flipped because the other main connections are right there too, and on both bike the heat sink is directly behind sprat from the wheel.

If you look at the dash of a 14 zero to the dash of a Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, bmw street bike the gauge clusters are actually waterproof, and they cost 25% more on average than a zeros....
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2015, 12:58:07 AM »

If you look at the dash of a 14 zero to the dash of a Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, bmw street bike the gauge clusters are actually waterproof, and they cost 25% more on average than a zeros....

I didn't know that, thanks for the info. It definitely seems clear Zero needs to find a different approach...and I'd agree with you that at least the "important" connectors should be fully watertight, too. The "important" PCBs should also be housed in a watertight compartment, as well as being conformal coated, for redundant protection against water incursion. Honestly, one tow on a flatbed with a trip to the shop would cover the extra parts cost.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 10:24:28 PM »

Zero's don't like moisture all that much and having owned a few Suzuki and Honda motorcycles in the past, electrical connections kind of worry me.   ::)

Suzuki's... Which my friends used to call my sugar bikes, because they all used to "melt" in the rain. Never had much of a problem with Honda's in the wet however.

No, Zero's don't like the wet much, however I did find that putting the tail, with the center gap filled in, back on my bike seriously reduced the bike "losing" the custom settings (I tend to automatically get them back once the bike has dried out). I swear its moisture on the controller that's causing that issue. I'm thinking of putting some dielectric grease over the Sevcons plug, and then fitting a rubber boot (if I can find something appropriate) over it as well.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:26:02 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900
Pages: 1 [2]