• May 07, 2024, 06:34:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's the point of the J1772 Charging Adaptor/Kit?  (Read 13248 times)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Re: What's the point of the J1772 Charging Adaptor/Kit?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »

Moidore,

Right now my SR is in the shop to get another (and hopefully last) Power Tank installed. My J1772 adapter is on the bike as I wanted to show it to my dealer. If you look at the photo of the adapter on Zero's web site just image two more plugs coming off of it. It is probably a one off that Hollywood Electrics made. But it only took them a day to make it and it looks very well made. I looked online and while you can find J1772 plugs I never saw anything like this. Not sure the market for something like this other than for Zero's.

JefRo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 10:21:33 AM »

Here are few specs I measured about mu diy compact charger:

TESTED results:

Fast Charger efficiency measured: 92.5% ( 6980W AC 6460W DC out)

Fast Charger Current consumption ( at max output power): 30.5A AC

Fast Charger max power output ( mean at end of charge) 6.60kW

Fast Charger Voltage output: 74.0V ( adjustable from 29 to 76.8VDC)

Fast Charger Current output: 91A (0.75C charging rate)

Fast Charger weight ( including connectors and harness): 13.4lbs

Fast charger dimensions: L 13.2" x W 5" x D 5"

Fast charger max temp ( case): 43 celsius

ZF9 battery temp at end of charge ( internal OEM temp sensor): 32 celsius

ZF9 Battery measured capacity (with  2 bar flashing on the gauge): 6600Wh

Doc

Doc, how do you manage and limit the current output on the RSP-2000 Meanwell power supplies when the battery requires constant current charging? Most switching supplies will foldback the output voltage when the current demand exceeds the maximum current output of the power supply. I am designing a current limiter circuit for my RSP-2000 units running in series but have not tested them under a battery load at this time. I would appreciate your feedback on this.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 07:56:06 PM »

what is fantastic is that the RSP have current limiting feature and also power limiting feature! ;) They limit to 125% rated current wich are doing it really well and I could say FOR YEARS in my situation without overheating or blowing.. these are tough!.. RSP serie rock!

read the spec you will find!
Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

krash7172

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 03:03:45 AM »

I haven't owned my zero long enough to experiment with this but I read somewhere that the charge rate is not linear. So, if you were planning a trip that required charging, would it make sense to make your stop(s) when the battery will take a charge the fastest? I know it charges more slowly when nearly fully charged. Is the rate of charge effected when it is low?
2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
2015 BMW R nineT
2014 Zero SR
2013 Ducati Monster 696
1991 Honda VFR 750

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 03:13:10 AM »

I haven't owned my zero long enough to experiment with this but I read somewhere that the charge rate is not linear. So, if you were planning a trip that required charging, would it make sense to make your stop(s) when the battery will take a charge the fastest? I know it charges more slowly when nearly fully charged. Is the rate of charge effected when it is low?

When I ran my battery down to zero, it took a long time to recharge.  It required 8 hours of continuous charging just to get the battery pack back up to 50%.  My observation is that the pack charges faster when it is not so depleted and that is supported by the Kill-A-Watt meter, which shows a power consumption of about 1150 watts when charging an empty battery, which rises to 1350 watts as the pack nears being fully charged.   So it would seem that you get more charge for your time if you don't wait too long to recharge during a ride.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

krash7172

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 03:29:58 AM »

I was thinking that we might be better off keeping the charge level in the sweet spot range with several stops than one long one. For example, if it  charges quickly in the 25%-75% range, plan a stop before falling below 25% and don't wait around to top it off. Leave at 75%. You may only get 50 miles between stops but the total amount of charge time required to get to your destination would be minimized.
2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
2015 BMW R nineT
2014 Zero SR
2013 Ducati Monster 696
1991 Honda VFR 750

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 03:46:45 AM »

I was thinking that we might be better off keeping the charge level in the sweet spot range with several stops than one long one.

Just FYI: Some chargers cost money, with a minimum fee plus a per-hour fee on top of the minimum.  For example: $2 per hour, minimum 2 hours.  Using two chargers means paying the minimum fee twice, regardless of how quickly you get enough charge to make it to your next charger or destination.

Just another tradeoff to consider between reducing time spent charging and reducing money leaving your wallet.

Still, with combo L1/L2 EVSE being replaced by L2-only EVSE in my area (including my employer's parking garage), the J1772 adapter is like an insurance policy.  Even these AAA Roadside Emergency Charging trucks appear to support only L2 and CHAdeMO, not L1.
Zero gasoline in the garage since May 2017

Sy Gray

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 07:26:26 AM »

Question - I was thinking about taking a regular Zero Quick Charger with me when traveling longer distances (over 75 Miles).  I spoke with Charge Point and they said I could use the J1772 Charger Adapter to plug in my Zero Motorcycle into their Level 2 port and then plug in the Zero Quick Charger in the Level 1 port.   Each of there charging stations typically have Level 1 and 2 Ports.  The only issue is I would have to pay for each connection.   That's not an issue if you are charging for 2-3 hours to get enough charge to get home.   What's your thoughts - has anyone done this.   

Sy
2014 DS 11.4

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »

Yes I have done this. First go to plugshare.com for a better picture on available J1772 outlets around you. Many allow you to charge for free. You could go to Hollywood Electrics and get a J1772 adapter that will allow you to plug both your internal charger and your Zero quick charger into a L2 J1772 outlet. Better yet get a J1772 adapter that you can plug three chargers into in case you decide to upgrade later.

Sy Gray

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »

Great idea - that way you are only paying once at the charging station - if there is a cost - did you find carrying a quick charger with you beneficial? Did you attached it to your bike Or did you carry It in your luggage/storage? And what made you make the leap from carrying the quick charger to the elcon's

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »

Sy Gray,

When I first bought my SR I also bought 2 1000 watt quick chargers from Zero. When I first tried to charge at level 2 outlets I simply placed them in my top box. I rode up to a mall in  Raleigh and had 32% charge remaining. It took 3:20 to reach 98%. It was great to test out the J1772 system but the long charge time became difficult. I looked into the Elcons which were mentioned in one of the threads here. I decided to try them to see if the charge times would be short enough to make longer trips possible/practical. From 32% the Elcons can charge to 100% in about 1:25. This is a lot more manageable than 3:20.

Sy Gray

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 10:35:03 PM »

Thanks Ultrarnr - I think I will have to go the way you did once I determine how far out I will typically ride.   I wish Zero had more education and product offering.  If it wasn't for you and this forum I would be lost

Sy

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 12:16:26 AM »

I spoke with Charge Point and they said I could use the J1772 Charger Adapter to plug in my Zero Motorcycle into their Level 2 port and then plug in the Zero Quick Charger in the Level 1 port.

Hi Sy,

When I use a ChargePoint L1/L2 combo EVSE that costs money to use, I must swipe my RFID card* to unlock either the L1 door or the L2 holster.  When I choose one, the other is locked, so I cannot access both at the same time.  If I swipe the same RFID again with the intent to unlock the other charger, it is the signal to end my charging session, not begin a new charging session with the other charger.  How did ChargePoint advise you to get around this problem?

I wonder if you have to open two accounts with ChargePoint so that they will issue you two different RFID cards.

* The RFID card identifies you as a customer of ChargePoint for access and billing purposes.

--
Thanks,
Michael
Zero gasoline in the garage since May 2017

Sy Gray

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2014, 12:24:28 AM »

Hey Michael - they are sending me 2 cards (2 accounts) in order to do so :) your reasoning was correct :)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2014, 12:42:39 AM »

Used to use 2 Chargepoint cards before getting a splitter from Harlan at Hollywood Electrics.  Now 1 session does the trick.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549
Pages: 1 [2] 3