• May 17, 2024, 03:07:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to enable an external charger on Zero DS 20014  (Read 683 times)

hobbyrider

• View Profile
How to enable an external charger on Zero DS 20014
« on: September 24, 2019, 02:00:32 AM »

Hello I read a lot about how to work with external chargers others than DeltaQ, like the Elcon, but there is one question remaining: If I like to use a charger other than the QuiQ, that has no signal pin at the Anderson SBS75X, what shall I do with the Enable pin to allow the Zero to charge? How to wire? What signal does the Zero expect (voltage/current)? Is it possible to connect via resistor to B+? Or need 5V?I'm not sure because I found no real explanation, or I read over.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 02:03:12 AM by hobbyrider »
Zero DS 2014

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: How to enable an external charger on Zero DS 20014
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 04:23:08 AM »

I don't even know where the connector is, let alone its pin-out.

But I'd be interested in the answer.
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 07:56:09 AM »

This is documented under a different purpose on the unofficial manual:

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Advanced_Modifications#Charging_Off_Bike
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 01:10:25 PM »

Hello I read a lot about how to work with external chargers others than DeltaQ, like the Elcon, but there is one question remaining: If I like to use a charger other than the QuiQ, that has no signal pin at the Anderson SBS75X, what shall I do with the Enable pin to allow the Zero to charge? How to wire? What signal does the Zero expect (voltage/current)? Is it possible to connect via resistor to B+? Or need 5V?I'm not sure because I found no real explanation, or I read over.
Why not run your own wires to the battery terminals on the motor controller and then not have to deal with those enable pins?

That is what I did here, see my reply number 8.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

hobbyrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 06:22:13 PM »

This is documented under a different purpose on the unofficial manual:

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Advanced_Modifications#Charging_Off_Bike
Hello Brian the link you give shows the internal routing of an FX, isn't is? But it is not described what signal the P3/Wht port requires, if I want to use other than DeltaQ that did not provide an enable to the Anderson. May be it is TTL level? I'm looking for a factory programed 2kW charger that can replace two DeltaQ.
Thanks and regards from Austria
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 02:28:11 PM by hobbyrider »
Zero DS 2014

hobbyrider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 02:25:22 PM »

Why not run your own wires to the battery terminals on the motor controller and then not have to deal with those enable pins?

That is what I did here, see my reply number 8.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Hello Don, this is an interesting idea. Does this mean the BMS is not involved during charging? Also the dash will not show information? BTW about choosing the PFC, I know that also the 3,3 kW TC charger is available well programmed at factory side fitting to Zeros profile. Otten in Germany use them for his cheap and easy system, no Can required.
Zero DS 2014

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 12:48:57 AM »

Hello Don, this is an interesting idea. Does this mean the BMS is not involved during charging? Also the dash will not show information? BTW about choosing the PFC, I know that also the 3,3 kW TC charger is available well programmed at factory side fitting to Zeros profile. Otten in Germany use them for his cheap and easy system, no Can required.
BMS still works normally and all info. is displayed as normal. Balancing and all stays normal. Correct time to charge and SOC is still shown.

The Motor Controller is just a more direct path to the battery and bypasses the fuse in the cable. You can charge with MORE current direct at the controller. Just use your own fuses.

Left up the seat and find the "+" and "-" terminals on the controller at the far end just above the rear wheel.

Easy to do this job.

But still use the On-Board with it, just like you should do with the Delta Chargers, or else you will need to use the key to get it to start charging.

Remember that there is high voltage there if the bike key is set for on, so keep the key out while working on the wiring.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 06:56:58 AM »

The least complicated way / easiest way is to use the onboard charger to engage the contactor, and then charge through the aux port (using both chargers). A 2014 will have a weaker fuse than the later models so be careful how much amperage you push through there.
Pages: [1]