• May 07, 2024, 12:30:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 4kw DIY charger for 2015SR  (Read 1514 times)

yhafting

• View Profile
4kw DIY charger for 2015SR
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:35:49 PM »

Hello all, I have prepared a long post (4 parts) about my first "portable" semi-fast charging solution. Thoughts and comments are welcome :)

The basic solution consist of 2x eltek flatpack2 48/2000 HE charger i bought from Ciscone (Merlin at Endless sphere) at a very reasonable cost. He both programmed them to 57,3V and shipped it with a small PCB that can be used to manage connections (great service!).

Since the rectifiers were already programmed, i skipped making any canbus interface entirely. I had expected to do this, and thanks to Remmie I believe it would be easy enough.

So what I basically had to do was to do all the soldering and wiring in order to connect the components and provide some kind of casing that i wanted to protect the wiring and connectors from physical damage.

At this point i have not added any extra circuitry to the solution, because it seems ecerything needed is there. I know this might be countering some advice on this forum, and they are perhaps right, however i have some faith in eltek providing a fairly safe solution.

After this section I will post the bill of materials, followed by my thoughts about making the setup and the first test, followed by the considerations I have for changes.

yhafting

• View Profile
BOM: 4kw DIY charger for 2015SR
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:40:18 PM »

From Ciscone:
2x Eltek Flatpack2 48/2000 HE  (2 chargers for providing up to 114,6V )
2x PCBs      (for being able to connect to the Eltek PSU’s)
7m 4x2.5mm^2 Cable (To connect the Elteks to the power Grid/ charging stations)

Jula:
Art. nr: 610046 “Kabelinstallasjonssett til billyd”   (Used only the 8mm^2 cables)
http://www.jula.no/catalog/bil-og-garasje/biltilbehor/billyd/kabler/kabelinstallasjonssett-til-billyd-610046/
Art. Nr: 661091 “Verktøykasse” (The toolcase is just big enough for the rectifiers, but I had to open it at the sides to be able to use the PCB’s with connectors )
http://www.jula.no/catalog/bygg-og-maling/oppbevaring/oppbevaring-av-verktoy-smasaker/verktoykasser/verktoykasse-661091/
Art. nr: 400719 “Støpsel” (4 pole CEE connector, for 16A 220V Three phase IT-network)
http://www.jula.no/catalog/el-artikler-og-belysning/el-installasjon/cee/stopsler-og-uttak/stopsel-400719/
Art. nr: 402354 “Koblingslistsett 15 deler”  (For connecting the 3phase cable to the eltek PSUs)
http://www.jula.no/catalog/el-artikler-og-belysning/el-installasjon/kabelinstallasjon/koblingslister-klemmer/koblingslistsett-402354/
Art. nr: 400801 “Vegguttak” (For connecting the bikes internal charger to 3-phase)
http://www.jula.no/catalog/el-artikler-og-belysning/el-installasjon/installasjonsmateriell/vegguttak/vegguttak-400801/
Art. nr: 402047 “Krympeslangesortiment 15 deler” (Shrink tubes for isolating cables)_
http://www.jula.no/catalog/el-artikler-og-belysning/el-installasjon/kabelinstallasjon/krympeslangar/krympeslangesortiment-402047/

Mouser:
2x Mouser Part No: 879-1339G3-BK (The metal part of the Anderson connector)
http://no.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Anderson-Power-Products/1339G3-BK/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtjzVbpKqo2YZRH3O%252bLIhj7jkKVyDeq%252b7Q%3d
1x 879-SBS75XBRN  (Connecting the chargers to the bike)
http://no.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Anderson-Power-Products/SBS75XBRN/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtjzVbpKqo2YSP9yhNX%252bXMWJdsZ56J4zvk%3d
3x 651-1715022 (Fixed terminal Block for connecting to 220V. I should have bought a 3-pole version rather than the two pole version, or just 4 of these…)
http://no.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Phoenix-Contact/1715022/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujOHXrVICVRxj7CjPcTIN%2fC8u8WFdmiQYs%3d

Hobby King:
Nylon XT60 connectors (For Connecting DC wires to the PCBs)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/nylon-xt60-connectors-male-female-5-pairs-genuine.html?___store=en_us

And then some tin for soldering, straps and tools.

yhafting

• View Profile
Setup: 4kw DIY charger for 2015SR
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:44:54 PM »

The process of making the setup:
The 8mm2 cable was rated for 40A to be used in car stereo. Finding the correct cable diameter or area is kind of difficult on the internet, since there are many different views on how much is enough. What I knew before I started is that in houses in Norway you would need at least 2.5mm^2 for 16A current in installations. Some would put almost 60A through the same wires. Personally I am a bit skeptical to do that. Using my 8mm^2 cable was difficult, since neither the XT60 connectors or the Anderson connector could fit that wire.  What I ended up doing was to solder as much I could fit in the connectors, then use the heat shrink tubes to clamp the remaining strands to the connector.  Soldering was a bit tricky with the XT-60 connector starting to melt while heating the wire enough. Soldering the Anderson terminal was fairly easy with a 60W solder iron, as the plastic housing is attached later.

The usage of XT60 connectors prohibited the rectifiers being placed directly upon each other. I guess it may be possible, but having an angled connector would be preferable.
The Anderson connectors could also be crimped in its terminal (squeezing the metal part with a plier after inserting the wire).

What the first attempt showed:
First of all, to be able to charge at all, the bike needs to be keyed on when starting, even though the Eltek rectifiers is supposed to start slower than the internal charger, the bike will need to be keyed on at first. When everything has started, the bike can be keyed off. I guess this is what most people has reported, so no big issue with this.
I started charging at 50% charge on my SR, so in total about 50A was delivered to the bike. The charging went nicely up to around 80% before it started slowing down as it should. At about 86% the charging went at a pace close to the internal charger, so I disconnected the charger (I did not plan on leaving the whole setup for the night). When I reconnected the internal charger only, the charging status went directly to 98%. 

My box should stay open to let out heat while charging. I will probably add some holes to the casing to let more air out, but it will likely be open anyway to avoid heat building up.
During charging the rectifiers went hot, too hot to hold long, but not too hot to touch. The rectifiers suck in air at the front, and blow it out on the backside where the PCBs are. This makes the PCBs the hottest part. It was a bit difficult to reach the connectors on both rectifiers, but it seems the XT60 connectors and the part of the PCB transferring 40A was the hottest. I would say they got about as hot as I would dare. The hot melt glue I used on the bottom of the PCB to prohibit anything to touch the 40A solder terminals did melt slightly- that is it got much smoother, without dripping.
The 8mm2 wires I used barely got warmer while charging. The Anderson connector did not show signs of heating up much either. 

yhafting

• View Profile
Re: 4kw DIY charger for 2015SR
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:49:07 PM »

Changes and considerations:
I am still waiting to receive the 62196 Type 2 Plug I ordered to use with charging stations. https://www.jpson.com/product/62196-2-plug-cable-male-32a-for-electric-vehicle-ev-charging_p1041.html 
When using this I will have to re-wire the 230V side of the connections, as it will be used with 400V TN net, rather than 230V IT.

I would like to avoid using the PCB and the XT60 connector at the back of the rectifier, both to save space and heat. I tried buying some cable shoes, but they were all either to thin or thick for the purpose. I guess I could file down some Anderson terminals, and jam them into the rectifier (see image below) however I am a bit worried that may break the rectifier PCB-connector or create a poor connection which would create even more heat in the area I would want less.  If anyone knows some good cable connector that would fit the PCB-connectors, or have recommendations on this I’m all ears...

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:53:13 PM »

Images below (charging at 86% and after replugging shortly after)...

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 11:32:31 PM »

Do you worry about voiding warranty?
I do have 2 3kw flatpacks, but dont know if i'll risk loosing the battery warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 02:20:11 AM »

Do you worry about voiding warranty?
I do have 2 3kw flatpacks, but dont know if i'll risk loosing the battery warranty.

I guess not. This is hardly pushing the capabilities of the battery at all. If i started going beyond the capabilities of the aux port- i should perhaps worry. If i weren't confident that the setup would not start a fire, perhaps. There are also quite few that has done this and more before me with good results, and it is not something i am going to leave overnight.

The biggest hazard as far as i can see is poor connections and high current causing high temperatures in connectors outside the bike. This is not a setup i would leave on for long periods of time. This is what i bring as a range extender the few times in a year i might need it.

What electric motorbikes really need to be broadly appealing is 2C-4C charging or 30 kwh battery capacity at a reasonable price.

skoleskibe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 02:27:28 AM »

I completely understand the problems with temperatures in connections and so on, but if you later on encounters problems with the battery, you might have lost your 5yrs warranty on the brick.

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 03:02:03 AM »

I completely understand the problems with temperatures in connections and so on, but if you later on encounters problems with the battery, you might have lost your 5yrs warranty on the brick.

This bike was sold to me in norway- which means Norwegian laws of purchase applies. This means that voiding the warranty from something not related to a failure (whatever that is) would be hard to push through the court. . this is not charging the bike faster or more violently than what you can get with Zero s own solutions so i believe i'm on reasonably firm ground.
In five years it is possible that available battery technology may be worthwile changing into anyways.
As a motorcycle rider one has to be able to appreciate the gains towards the risks on multiple levels. For me i believe this will be worth it, but the same way as motorcycles aren't for everyone, tinkering with the charging solution probably isn't either.
Pages: [1]