• May 07, 2024, 01:34:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Impersonating a Beemer with QuiQ Chargers  (Read 4420 times)

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Re: Impersonating a Beemer with QuiQ Chargers
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 06:24:00 AM »

Very curious about your charger solution. Can you give us a bit more info, pics or perhaps a sneak preview?

Here's a preview of what we're testing for our Zero bikes.

Photo shows six stack => 116V DC, up to 12kW DC charging, 9kg inc case and cables, 29cm (L), 18cm (W), 14cm (H).

Also testing smaller modules - 2 stack and 2 side-by-side. If the testing is successful will look to offer them as kits including rectifiers, case, PCB connectors and cables. Price TBA but will be under AUD1000 (USD750) for the 4kW DC charger.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Aikirob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 07:13:13 PM »

Very curious about your charger solution. Can you give us a bit more info, pics or perhaps a sneak preview?

Here's a preview of what we're testing for our Zero bikes.

Photo shows six stack => 116V DC, up to 12kW DC charging, 9kg inc case and cables, 29cm (L), 18cm (W), 14cm (H).

Also testing smaller modules - 2 stack and 2 side-by-side. If the testing is successful will look to offer them as kits including rectifiers, case, PCB connectors and cables. Price TBA but will be under AUD1000 (USD750) for the 4kW DC charger.
Looks like you might be onto something there, will you also offer to install them and show people how to use them correctly for those of us that know nothing about electronics?

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »

Looks like you might be onto something there, will you also offer to install them and show people how to use them correctly for those of us that know nothing about electronics?

If I produce a kit then I wouldn't recommend it to people with no electronics skills. The idea of producing a kit is to keep the cost down and allow people with some basic electrical and mechanical skills to assemble the units and get inexpensive fast charging. To build a fully complete unit requires a significant increase in cost - defeating one of the main aims of making these chargers - low cost.

In terms of installing them on a Zero - there are other charging options that are IP rated and suitable for installing on the bike - but they also come at 2-4 times the price for the same charge rate. I chose this path because given appropriate handling and use (carried in weatherproof bags/box and not left in the rain when charging), these chargers will be 50-80% cheaper than similar powered chargers (multiple TC, Elcon, Quiqs) with a similar 50-80% reduction in weight and volume.

In terms of how to use them, they are a DC charger with Anderson DC output connectors that utilise Zero's fast charge port. Use of the fast charge ports is covered in the Zero manual.
2013 Nissan Leaf

Shifty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »

Please keep us updated, once we see the charge time specs and you nail down your sale version I'd be interested in getting one up to Brissy for my 2016 S.

Off topic, but your track SR looks incredible.

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 06:38:26 PM »

Please keep us updated, once we see the charge time specs and you nail down your sale version I'd be interested in getting one up to Brissy for my 2016 S.

Good to know another Aussie on the forums  :)

We have a facebook group called Sydney Electric Riders if you ever want to chat with Aussie Zero owners. We organise rides around Sydney but have a couple of guys in northern NSW too.

Will create a new thread here to discuss the details of the chargers in time, hopefully in April all going smoothly.

Thanks for the compliments on the track spec SR.
2013 Nissan Leaf

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 03:03:12 AM »

You must mean Beamer "Jugs" like these right? LOL

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 12:57:06 AM »

Good to know another Aussie on the forums  :)

We have a facebook group called Sydney Electric Riders if you ever want to chat with Aussie Zero owners. We organise rides around Sydney but have a couple of guys in northern NSW too.

Will create a new thread here to discuss the details of the chargers in time, hopefully in April all going smoothly.

Thanks for the compliments on the track spec SR.
I'm still trying to decide where to mount these new chargers but they are a perfect fit for BM style side mounting. Just need to develop an IP rated "case" that opens up when charging

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 03:08:33 AM »

My issue with mounting it on the sides is even a slight tip over would be really expensive.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 04:34:15 AM »

My issue with mounting it on the sides is even a slight tip over would be really expensive.
Crash bars are available, and easily installed. (zeromanual link)

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 09:09:21 AM »

Crash bars are available, and easily installed. (zeromanual link)

True, but they aren't damage proof.  Ugly too.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Impersonating a Beemer with QuiQ Chargers
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 01:34:09 AM »

I've put Supercharger v2 units on each side of my crash bars. The mount is still provisional and the wiring needs extensions and sleeving but it basically works fine so far.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 02:13:24 AM »

Refresh my mind, you got 2 3.3kW units right?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 10:15:14 PM »

Refresh my mind, you got 2 3.3kW units right?

That's right. I'm mounting one unit on each side right now. This would be easier if I put two on one side and the SCv1 on the other side, but that'd be 15lbs vs 25lbs on each side, requiring something to even out the balance.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 11:33:52 AM »

Ah yes, I was already thinking that a 6.6 unit on each side might be a bit too large/heavy.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 06:07:40 PM »

Here are some shots of the current setup before I build a proper mount. SCv2 comparison with a QuiQ charger as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3