• May 05, 2024, 02:58:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero's new superbike  (Read 2024 times)

Ranga

• 2015 Zero FX 5.7
    • View Profile
Re: Zero's new superbike
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 01:17:28 AM »

I want a cruiser with 24kWh battery and 2 hour recharge time, with a comfy driver's and pillion seat before I want a superbike.

I hope you realize how expensive a 24kWh battery would be, as well as an onboard charger that powerful.
2015 Zero FX

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 02:14:12 AM »

I want a cruiser with 24kWh battery and 2 hour recharge time, with a comfy driver's and pillion seat before I want a superbike.

I hope you realize how expensive a 24kWh battery would be, as well as an onboard charger that powerful.
You don't need a super duper onboard charger, just a proper DC inlet.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 03:59:32 AM »

Bell Custom Cycles already makes one! Check out the V9. You can get it with either a 18.8 or 33.7 kWh battery. When I asked last fall they can make a CHAdeMO system for it so you should be able to have well under a two hour charge time.
http://brutusmotorcycle.com/brutusV9.html#specs

hippiesparx

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 04:33:45 AM »

Yeah, I've seen them. Nice specs, shame about the styling. I mean, it looks good but it's not my style.
Picky bastard, aren't I. ;)
I do like the Triumph Spirit GT idea.
As we all know, the Zero seat has about a 100km limit. By the time your battery is flat your arse feels like the bed of a hydraulic press. If you're two up you have been on pretty intimate terms with your passenger for an hour or more. When you pull up you're looking at a 6-7 hour charge time before you can set off again.
None of this matters for an urban commuter, which is what the Zero S is, but if we are looking to a bike that can do anything an ICE can we want comfort, range and quicker charging.
I've modded my S by adding another 2.2kW of charger. When I had it apart I was looking at the seat and tank and thinking of possibilities. Next project, perhaps.
Unfortunately the size of the frame precludes adding another monoblock, which is where a cruiser frame comes in. Not sure a tourer would be large enough to carry another monoblock, but it could carry 150% more than the Zero S.
2014 Zero S 2014 CFMoto 650TK
Fonzarelli Electric Moto dealer

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 01:26:26 PM »

800 to 900 lbs. is a bit heavy. Close to 3X the weight of my FX. Ask Terry what happens if it should drift off the road.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 01:52:55 PM »

But the weight of the V9 is in line with full size cruisers. It is rarely mentioned but the S/SR are small bikes. I stored a friends H-D Road King for a few weeks and when it was next to my SR you realize just how small they really are. Heck, my V-Strom looks small next to the H-D. And the SR makes my Strom look big.

teddillard

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 05:41:37 PM »

Exactly.  The SR is a small, albeit really quick, fun, light bike.  I think it's spot-on to call it a "commuter" bike - though I hate that term. 

Maybe the market points to a cruiser, (which I wouldn't take if you gave it to me) but what I think they need is a true sport bike, in the same class as Mission, Energica, Lightning, and the rest.  Because they can, and I want it.  :D

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 07:52:36 PM »

Oh, thanks for reminding me.  I want all of those things, and I want it to be $9k.
Pages: 1 [2]