• May 07, 2024, 08:20:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Extended warranty on prior year models  (Read 633 times)

Arun Kalavakolanu

• View Profile
Extended warranty on prior year models
« on: October 16, 2015, 05:32:19 AM »

The 2016 line up has been announced and there are definitely improvements/enhancements to be excited about . However for someone like me who plans to hang on to their purchase(2014 S with Power Tank) for a few more years instead of upgrading to the newer  models,  are there any options for obtaining extended warranty coverage ?

I believe, the 2014 models came with 2 years of warranty. In the 18 months that I have had  my motorcycle, I had to leave it to the tender mercies of my dealership for a total of 6 weeks (twice , for approx. 3 weeks each time). And each time, I am sure the technicians at the dealership spent quite a few hours on the phone with Zero trying to resolve the issues. Since it was under warranty, I did not hay to pay a penny. Otherwise , I am certain, it would have added up to hundreds of dollars each time.

As my motorcycle reaches the end of the warranty period (Apr 2016), I am concerned about the cost of future repairs. I have not had any issues these past few months and I am hoping that all the ghosts in the system have been exorcised and that I will not be needing such significant repairs again.  I would love to know what the other member on the forum are doing for extended support , alternate options etc.,.

2014 Zero S with Power Tank

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Extended warranty on prior year models
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 07:22:22 AM »

I've posted my experience with maintenance by the now 16k miles I've put on my 13DS at least:

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4820.msg32612#msg32612
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Arun Kalavakolanu

• View Profile
Re: Extended warranty on prior year models
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »

BrianTRice, it's great to know that the regular maintenance for the consumables has really not been too taxing . At almost 15K miles, my own experience is actually even better with regard to consumables.My concern is however is about all the electronics and programming that keeps the whole thing humming. Both times my motorcycle was in the shop, it took hours and hours of back-and-forth(according to the dealer) to get the computer re-programmed / throttle assembly ordered and replaced etc. I just hope that both the dealers have learned over the past few years and zero has a more streamlined approach and process to address items related to their secret sauce.
2014 Zero S with Power Tank
Pages: [1]