• May 07, 2024, 03:42:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Car shopping.  (Read 259 times)

droidish

• View Profile
Car shopping.
« on: July 09, 2018, 10:44:10 AM »

After a year with my Zero, I've finally persuaded my wife to go electric as we're getting ready to replace her car. We have been all over the map trying things out, drove a Focus Electric, a Leaf, and a Volt, and looked at an Ioniq, an i3 and a Bolt. I haven't seen one yet, but the e-Golf is also on the radar.

I really appreciate the level of expertise on this forum with respect to EV technology. It seems like there are a lot of electrical engineers here. I'd like to find an EV forum for autos with a similar content of expertise. The few I have visited have been lacking.

Any opinions about EV car forums with good credibility?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:31:58 AM by droidish »
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Car shopping.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »

I can't help you with fora, but I can perhaps muddy your choices a bit. A good friend of mine now has two Kia Soul EVs, one for him and one for his wife. I've never driven them myself, but my friend and his wife love theirs. If you're in the "compact crossover" market, take a look.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Starpower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:26:45 PM »

For me it would be the Bolt
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 02:37:57 AM »

I had the first Generation Volt, a 2014 Focus Electric and Presently have a 2017 Volt.
Recently returned from towing my 2016 SR to Monterrey for ReFuel using the Volt.
LOVE the Volts other than the slow level 2 charging. Focus was nice but drive as much
as possible before making a decision as the battery puts a little bump under your left
foot while driving this can be a mild concern. I would stay away from the Leaf unless
you are considering an upcoming 2019 with the BIG battery. While I have never personally
known of issues with the Fiat, but the CEO of the company says not to buy it and that is good
enough for me. I would also weigh the incentives of buying a NEW EV against a few year old
one. You can pick up many of the EVs that were $40K Plus for $5,000~$15,000.

droidish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 10:31:07 AM »

For me it would be the Bolt

That's the one we're leaning toward. It's down to the Volt or the Bolt.

None of the others I mentioned had enough range for my wife, and the current Leaf has no thermal management for the battery.

So it looks like the bolt...       ...or maybe wait for the Kona Electric...     ...or really wait for the Model 3 standard battery.   :-\
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:34:00 AM by droidish »
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 04:58:13 PM »

Here's a little perspective from my Bolt experience, it does exactly what they say it will do, my wife is a leadfoot and consistently gets the advertised range, I drive it more like an ev and get way more range (450 kms in fair weather) the seats up front suck for me, I have to use a cushion, the winter range (central Ontario Canada) is around 300kms, regen paddle and low "gear" are a true one foot driving experience, the entertainment cluster has a few glitches occasionally, we have around 35k KMs in nine months and in total this has cost under $500 in electricity (and we have some of the highest rates in North America), the best EValuation I can put forth is that you just drive it like a normal car and it will do what 99% of the population needs, if you do a yearly road trip borrow or rent, my friend didn't want to give the bolt back after we traded cars for a weekend, hope this helps
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

droidish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 08:02:10 AM »

...a little perspective from my Bolt experience...    ...hope this helps.

Very much. Thank you.
Michael

'17 Zero SR
'03 Suzuki DR-Z400
Pages: [1]