Makes And Models > Zero Motorcycles Forum | 2012 and older

Completed Zero X battery rebuild with lithium pouch cells

<< < (2/2)

WiscoZeroPilot:
This is definitely inspiring, as I have a 2010 DS that's collecting dust with a bricked pack. 

How much did your pack cost to assemble?

Brian Zero:
Well, at the time hybrid auto center only offered the pouch cells as a complete module with more than 2x the number of cells I needed, so I had to pay over a thousand bucks just for that, and then split it. After that, the material costs were minimal. Now I see the retailer is offering smaller modules and even offering a new BMS with it. That looks like the way to go.

cat33:
Hello to all
This is my first post here. I'm a owner of a 2011 Zero XU in Switzerland. My XU had a very bad battery when I bought it, so I made a battery conversion with the following Lipo Cells
https://hobbyking.com/de_de/multistar-high-capacity-6s-20000mah-multi-rotor-lipo-pack.html
Unfortunately they sell only 6S packs so I had to rip one pack apart to achieve 14S (2 complete packs and 2 cells of one). These are 20Ah so I put together 14S 3P. This gives me a total of 60Ah at 58.8V when full. If I would do it again I would pack another 20Ah pack in the original compartment, it should fit as far I can juge. I have used the original XU BMS, and the onboard charger works well with my conversion. So if you want a 4kWh (80Ah) pack in the original box it can be achived  ;D.
I added a temperaturesensor and an external voltmeter to the dashboard to have more information. When the pack is discharged at full throttle the temperature rises to 55 degrees celsius, perhaps it would be a good idea to add a fan and a vent to the pack. The energy meter (gas gauge) reads nonsense, momentary it tells me that it is empty after just 20 km of soft riding, I can go on with riding for at least another 25km and the pack is still not empty.

So here is my question: Does the display calibrate itself for the new bigger capacity of my pack over time or do I have to live with the wrong display of the SOC?
regards cat33

cenesdelavega:
Can you give full instructions to do this? I'm also in CH, with a bricked zero x extreme... Thanks, Roger

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version