• May 05, 2024, 08:03:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What's the point of the J1772 Charging Adaptor/Kit?  (Read 13244 times)

Sy Gray

• View Profile
Re: What's the point of the J1772 Charging Adaptor/Kit?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 01:03:44 AM »

I'll speak with zero motorcycle and wow motorcycles to see if they will refund the J1772 I purchased and call Harlan and get the right one ;)

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 09:54:04 AM »

Used to use 2 Chargepoint cards before getting a splitter from Harlan at Hollywood Electrics.  Now 1 session does the trick.

I also got Harlan's J1772 adapter kit, along with a pair of 2.5kW ElCons.  Still refining the bracket design to mount them on my Givi brackets... a latch mechanism is the next challenge!

Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 10:02:43 AM »

50MPH  8)
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 12:13:43 PM »

50MPH  8)

Zero, if you're reading this forum - please make this an option for a built in charger :)
Norway
Opel Ampera-e ordered 16.09.16, delivered 08.06.17    Tesla Model 3 reserved 01.04.16
2013 Nissan Leaf Tekna     2011 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 03:37:04 PM »

RickSteeb,

Welcome to the world of L2 charging! Don't forget to post photos of your Zero charging at L2 charging points on Plug Share! Benswing and I have done this a lot! Also know that GE Wattstations will not allow you to charge. Most of the time on Plug Share it will say when a charging station is a GE. But the charging stations at Whole Foods are an example where it doesn't. If you look close at the photos you can tell.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »

I haven't owned my zero long enough to experiment with this but I read somewhere that the charge rate is not linear. So, if you were planning a trip that required charging, would it make sense to make your stop(s) when the battery will take a charge the fastest? I know it charges more slowly when nearly fully charged. Is the rate of charge effected when it is low?

When I ran my battery down to zero, it took a long time to recharge.  It required 8 hours of continuous charging just to get the battery pack back up to 50%.  My observation is that the pack charges faster when it is not so depleted and that is supported by the Kill-A-Watt meter, which shows a power consumption of about 1150 watts when charging an empty battery, which rises to 1350 watts as the pack nears being fully charged.   So it would seem that you get more charge for your time if you don't wait too long to recharge during a ride.

Is it not a rising voltage system when charging the battery? 

If Amperage stays the same and consistent throughout most of the charge, then for voltage to rise, wattage has to rise as well?

I don't think you're observing what you think you're observing.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 07:09:32 PM »

I haven't owned my zero long enough to experiment with this but I read somewhere that the charge rate is not linear. So, if you were planning a trip that required charging, would it make sense to make your stop(s) when the battery will take a charge the fastest? I know it charges more slowly when nearly fully charged. Is the rate of charge effected when it is low?

When I ran my battery down to zero, it took a long time to recharge.  It required 8 hours of continuous charging just to get the battery pack back up to 50%.  My observation is that the pack charges faster when it is not so depleted and that is supported by the Kill-A-Watt meter, which shows a power consumption of about 1150 watts when charging an empty battery, which rises to 1350 watts as the pack nears being fully charged.   So it would seem that you get more charge for your time if you don't wait too long to recharge during a ride.

Is it not a rising voltage system when charging the battery? 

If Amperage stays the same and consistent throughout most of the charge, then for voltage to rise, wattage has to rise as well?

I don't think you're observing what you think you're observing.

Yes, that's correct. With a slow < 1C charge, a fixed-current charger will deliver more power into the battery as the SOC increases until it ends the bulk charge, which is typically above 90%. The bike has a slightly higher effective miles-per-hour charge rate at higher SOC, until it ends bulk charge. Probably not worth planning a trip around, but it should be slightly faster to charge 30 miles of riding if you start at 90% than if you start at 40%.

This changes when talking about a quick charge > 1C, where the charge rate is limited by battery temperature. Charging at low SOC will allow the battery to accept more current safely, and the effect is significantly more pronounced than the slow charging above.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]