• May 15, 2024, 09:35:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zero FX Drive Belt questions:  (Read 4824 times)

McRat

• View Profile
Zero FX Drive Belt questions:
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:40:25 PM »

How hard is it to replace in the field?  What tools do you need?

To push an FX back to camp, must you remove the belt to stop EMF resistance?

How much are spare belts?  Are they generic or Zero specific?

How often do they break when riding off-road in the desert (no mud, just sand and rocks)?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:24:52 PM by McRat »

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
Re: Zero FX Drive Belt questions:
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 01:09:57 AM »

Pain in the ass to replace because the swingarm bolts have to be removed so the new belt can slip in

Takes me less than 40 min

Only broken one belt... Ever.....
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 01:13:32 AM »

Remove rear wheel

Small Allen to remove set screw on inside of swingarm bolt

I always use a crecent on the swingarm bolts and the rear
Remove the rear brake foot master, don't disconnect lines

With 1 battery it's not too hard to push
With both its pretty heavy...
I have some videos of me dragging the bike up some steep stuff, I'll see if I can upload them tonight.
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

m0t0-ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 01:24:21 AM »

As Cortez said to remove rear wheel and swingarm pivot bolt(s).
Actually the 2014/15 FX no longer has the PITA set screw on the inside of the swingarm retainer bolt.

I believe the replacement belt is about $75 from a dealer.

They don't break often but can, indeed, break.
Try to avoid spinning up the rear wheel while in the air and landing on hard pack with throttle applied. This is very hard on the belts.

If needing to push the bike any distance (or uphill) It is fairly easy to derail the belt from the rear sprocket, and then re-rail it when needed.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 03:36:49 AM »

Someone on here had a clever method on a DS.  They fitted a second belt around the swingarm and cable tied it to the swingarm.  So that if the belt broke they could just cut the cable ties and have a new belt ready to go.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 04:06:39 AM »

Someone on here had a clever method on a DS.  They fitted a second belt around the swingarm and cable tied it to the swingarm.  So that if the belt broke they could just cut the cable ties and have a new belt ready to go.

Wow very clever

I have had the belt slip off a bike when we were hitting a quarry pile of gravel

If your careful you can slip it in no tools but no belts are the same size and within a few miles it will "break in"and need to be adjusted again.
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 04:17:21 AM »

If you spend most your time of road in rocky area, consider converting to chain.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4559.0

in this folder are pdf about replacing chain, would be similar for belt.

https://app.box.com/s/sdd7jcyfo4qtd40a277jkcogm99loh4b
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:27:36 AM by firepower »

McRat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 04:29:28 AM »

Probably if I break a belt, I will replace it with chain.

But part of what is attracting me to the FX as a dirt bike is low maintenance.  Lubing chains sucks.  Cleaning and oiling filters suck.  Changing oil sucks.  Adjusting valves sucks.  Cam chain tensioners suck.  Mufflers suck.  Spark plugs suck.  Gas cans suck.  Premix sucks.  Lubing/replacing clutch cables sucks.  Replacing clutches suck.  Changing fuel filters suck.  Cleaning carbs suck.  Etc.

A chain would not be so bad, especially since belt changing is a bitch, but a chain is more work than a belt is.  Mostly cleaning the lube off the bike and your clothes.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 04:40:51 AM »

most other bikes with belts, (BWM) have fully enclosed belt guards to keep rocks out.
I agree oiling chain sucks and messy, but breaking a belt in remote area would suck more.
the spare belt cable tied on sounds like the best option. And zero Belt are not as expensive as BMW beslts :)
It all depends how often you are breaking belts, whether it better to fit chain.

Zero sells a chain kit for the FX.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_6&products_id=192&zenid=n4qs7ok6ugok693armbbo7ceo1
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:43:16 AM by firepower »

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 06:43:09 AM »

This thing looks interesting for a temporary belt repair:

I don't know if they're the same, but this place sells drive belt repair links:

http://www.drivebelt-911.com/index-7.php

They have Zero in their drop-down make menu and show links for the 2012 XU, which uses the same belt as my FX's, I believe.  I asked about the fit but haven't heard back yet.  I'll probably just order one and see.

The thing I hate most about chain is the noise.  In the dirt it gets lost in the tire rumble, but on the street it's way louder than the motor or wind noise, on my bike at least.  My belt-drive FX is like a magic carpet in comparison.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 10:10:16 PM »

Hi Ray, I'm interested in those master links; please report back if you get one to fit. They would be fantastic to have for an emergency, and much quicker and easier than fitting a belt.

Cheers,
Ben.
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 11:03:24 PM »

Ben,

I've spoken to the guy who makes these, and he told me they only have a 12mm one now but he'd be willing to do up a 14mm prototype for me to test out.  I sent him an E-mail with photos and 14mm belt info and another follow-up E-mail, and have been waiting to hear back from him; it's been a while now, I think I'll call him today.  I told him I could send him a belt if it would help with the design, and also that there were thousands of Zero owners that would gladly pay a reasonable price for a tiny device that might save them from being stranded.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

BenS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 11:26:46 PM »

Thanks for the update, Ray. I guess, if we can't buy one, it would be possible to make (or a local machine shop) one out of what looks like stainless steel.
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 03:14:41 AM »

OK, some good news - Rick just let me know his supplier will be calling me for preliminary prototype info as my E-mails didn't get through, and I'll be sending them a 14mm Zero belt Monday for a working reference.  I was wrong about the 12mm drivebelt-911 model, apparently their narrowest one right now is 21mm.

Ray

BenS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 01:24:21 PM »

That sounds good. If those things really work, it might be something worth adding to Zero's accessories list on their website.
Pages: [1] 2