• May 14, 2024, 05:07:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Missing a headlight part on a 2016 SR  (Read 341 times)

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
Missing a headlight part on a 2016 SR
« on: November 12, 2022, 01:54:14 AM »

The previous owner swapped the stock bulb for a LED bulb. However, it is held in the headlight assembly only by the rubber boot, so the bulb flops around every time I hit a bump or turn a corner. My research shows there's supposed to be a white plastic ring that twists about a quarter turn to lock the bulb into place. That ring isn't here.
 Anybody know where to buy just that locking ring?
 Is it something unique to Zero headlights, or do other motorcycles use the same headlight so I can Google search for another brand?

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Missing a headlight part on a 2016 SR
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 02:31:37 AM »

The headlight was also used on older Yamaha MT-03's (first gen?), more common so you'll probably have more luck searching for that. May even be able to contact a Yamaha dealer and get them to order you the part, if it's available separately. Looking at the spare parts diagrams on AF1 the entire headlight is one part number so I don't think they'd be able to get hold of it. Someone may also be able to remember the OEM for the headlight.

While searching for the OEM I came across this. Part number 3, also has OEM and SKU numbers that might help with your search if you're not in Europe:
https://www.oemmotorparts.com/en/genuine-oem/yamaha/motorcycle/mt-03-660/2011/headlight

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 03:14:18 AM »

Thanks for your help! I would have never guessed that same headlight was used on Yamahas over 10 years ago.
Fortunately, I see several sites offering that part. Unfortunately, none of them are in the US, so the shipping from either Japan or Europe is between $36 and $50!
Time to start browsing ebay.

mdjak1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 07:28:53 AM »

I have a complete, unused (new) headlight assembly with bulbs.   According to AF1 Racing website, the MSRP is $172.69.   I would sell it for 50% off plus shipping.   I'm in FL.
https://www.af1racing.com/HEADLIGHT-ASSY-6055W-TRIOM-ZM45-03679

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 05:18:58 AM »

I have said item in my spare parts bin but I suspect it won’t do you any good as I’m guessing the LED bulb has a thicker base ring then the halogens thin stainless steel’s.

What I did when I installed an LED was to fabricate a thin metal lock ring from a soup can lid.
Had to bend the little arms so they added tension.
This was perhaps 5 yrs ago & it worked good for the next two years/25k miles or so until I replaced with an JW Speaker 5.75” adaptive headlight. 

Side note, looks like I ground off part of the stock thick plastic ring in an attempt to make it work but was not able too & thus abandoned it & fabricated a thin metal one.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 02:41:06 AM »

Eric,
  I ordered one from Europe. About 12 dollars, plus more than twice that in shipping. When it comes, I'll see if it all fits together like it's supposed to, or if I'll need to make something from a soup can. Or, worst case scenario, I'll just buy an actual H4 bulb to put in there, and then sell this LED upgrade on craigslist and get my money back. In the end, it will be a light bulb that doesn't flop around in the headlight, with a high-beam that actually lights up the road in front of me.

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 10:13:06 AM »

Well at least you have a pattern if you decide to keep the led. 
If it’s a decent led im guessing you will want to keep it instead of settling for halogen. 
Also it’s possible I made my ring out of a coffee can end (bigger diameter).
Eric
2016 Zero DSR
Pages: [1]