• May 08, 2024, 10:56:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Choosing side cases  (Read 1316 times)

Jorg

• Zero DS 2017
    • View Profile
Choosing side cases
« on: May 20, 2017, 03:28:49 AM »

About to pull the trigger on ordering a 17 DS (first bike -- excited? yes!), I realise I need some space to put groceries, slippers and various stuff in. The dealer suggested the Givi side cases. Looking at the Zero Aftermarket / Unofficial Manual, I see the TRAX EVO looks very good, and has the option to remove the mounts as well. And they come in larger sizes.

Does anyone have good pros/cons on the two solutions, and do you know if the OEM Top Box interferes with the TRAX EVO aluminium case system?

Also, I see SW-Motech's site lists the stuff compatible with the DSR, but I assume the mounting options are the same on the DS?

(Sorry for the beginner questions -- I'm completely new to the world of motorcycles, and yeah. There is a TON of gear and stuff out there to get to know:)

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing side cases
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 09:47:46 PM »

I have the givi top box and side cases:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=161
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_7&products_id=232
on my 2016 SR.
The top box is 34 liters, but is only rated for 3kg (which is ridiculous)
The side case rack are a nightmare to install. If you get them, plan on having your dealer do the
install. My dealer charged an hour of shop time -- and I'm pretty sure it took them longer than that.
Three different mechanics commented on how difficult they were to install.

Also see this thread: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5965.msg44723#msg44723
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 12:10:52 AM »

I do not have side rack. I get all my groceries fine with only a Givi 47L top case. There is a 55L "Maxia" top case which can fit even more groceries. I like the Hi-Viz color of my Givi top case and they only have that for the 47L size.  I was concerned that the 55L would be too big, but I have seen it a few times on Zero motorbikes and it looks good.

The OEM top rack bracket is rigid but it should have more support from the frame.

The most supported side rack bracket I have seen (and easy install) is the Happy Trails SU.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:15:17 AM by Shadow »

Jorg

• Zero DS 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 12:45:43 AM »

Thanks for the input! Very much appreciated.

Aikirob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »

I made my own for super cheap, very sturdy, check out the link to the youtube video on this page, very easy to make and will save you heaps of $
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6766.msg55213#msg55213

42Cliffside

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:24:37 AM »

I got the Coyote Saddlebag Roll Top for my 2017 DSR, just got it and it seems to mount solid on my bike with no extra racking, I still have to load it up and go for a ride to really see how solid I can get it, but just from the test fit it looks good, although the larger one might fit a touch better as the U is a bit wider according to the

here is the review I first saw it on:
and how he packs it now with another soft saddlebag shown as well..

Jorg

• Zero DS 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 12:46:25 AM »

Thanks 42Cliffside. I would love a report when you have gotten a chance to test them!

cep55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 02:01:27 AM »

Jorg, congratulations on the upcoming addition—very exciting! I got my SR earlier this month and just love it.

I don't know if you're looking only for a hard case, but for a relatively simple/inexpensive solution that can be easily removed or moved to other bikes, I like the DrySpec D20. They aren't huge, but collectively can hold a fair amount of groceries, tools, shoes, etc. They're waterproof, and they seem quite durable and high quality.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 02:34:42 AM »

The DSR mount should work identically for 2015+ models in the S/DS/SR/DSR range. 2013-2014 models may work but might be just enough different to be a fitment problem.

Here are a set of Motech-compatible Aero cases which I had joined to my Zero / Givi rack via adapter plates. This is before a car knocked the bike over and scratched up the cases too much. I think they suit the look of the Zero nicely and are quite streamlined and lightweight (I wouldn't put a charger in them but a laptop case or clothing would be fine).

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5453

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

42Cliffside

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 03:31:11 AM »

Well, went to get dog food, and even though it didn't fit inside, it tied down tight with the compression straps, and I'm pretty sure I can fit a rolling rock 18 pack into the sides,  I'll test that tonight =)

It was stable and tight with the 27+pound bag tied on. To mount I go thru the tube in the frame and loop thru/around the left passenger footpeg hole so it can't pull side to side. It will need some clear vinyl or something to protect the paint on the tail though.

42Cliffside

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 04:52:51 AM »

I can confirm, the coyote will swallow 2 18packs and have room for more =)

42Cliffside

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 12:11:25 PM »

Ultimate BBQ run bag LoL you can fit a bunch of cans (beans!) into the space where the bag starts to taper below the square ends of the 18pack, and a bunch more hotdogs and burgers between the sides. Also, you can still have the stock rear bag and side rack I suppose to hold all the buns.... ;D
Pages: [1]