• May 04, 2024, 02:16:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Comments on which charging options you chose on 2013 S / DS?  (Read 3113 times)

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Comments on which charging options you chose on 2013 S / DS?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 08:57:24 PM »

I thought the C-rate was fixed and slow on the stock zeros even if you use the second point of contact?

Can the BMS or Controller be hooked up directly to the J1772 or is a charger required?
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »

I use the standard outlet in my garage always. Other than photos, I've never seen a quick-charging station. I've also never plugged in anywhere else but home.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 10:27:40 PM »

I have two quick chargers for my SR.

As an example (W/O Power Tank) at 17% charge it would take 6:53 on the internal charger alone. Adding one quick charger it would take 3:47. With both quick chargers the time is reduced to 2:36.

Two quick chargers also requires the Y adapter. Because it is such a PIA to get to the main plug I leave the Y adapter plugged in and tuck the two ends behind the battery on the right side. So far no issues with them coming out while riding.

Losmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 12:39:18 AM »

A couple of things:

1)  I regularly take road trips of 100+ miles on my 2012 Zero S, and the reason I can is because my bike is outfitted with 2 Elcon 2500W chargers from Hollywood Electrics.  Also, this summer I took a road trip across the US and more than half of our 44 days were 100+ miles.  On that trip I only had 1 Elcon 2500W charger, but mostly used the regular plugs at restaurants while eating in the middle of the day. 
(http://ridethefuturetour.com/category/locations/)

2)  We have discovered that many ChaDeMo stations do not work with Zero motorcycles because they are designed for higher voltages.  The 2013/14 bikes are around 105-116V and many ChaDeMo stations cut off at 200V.  Zero is working on this. 

Here is the the other thread where ChaDeMo is discussed in detail:  http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3308.0

I believe some people are working on portable chargers that will use Level 2 EVSE's to their full potential (about 6.6kW), which will get you going in about the same amount of time as a ChaDeMo charger. 

One of the great design benefits of Zeros is that the battery has 2 inputs for chargers, so you can easily set it up to charge faster with a second charger!

Headed over to the link but could not suss out the pics of the bike with the aforementioned elcon chargers...  and does this require an adapter?

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 12:58:57 AM »

Losmeister, here is a photo of my setup.  I got the chargers from Harlan at Hollywood Electrics and he took care of programming them so they are safe to use (since they connect directly to the battery and don't go through the BMS).  These work for 2012 Zero's but for 2013/14 they operate at a higher voltage, so you would need a different setup. 
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 06:05:49 AM »

2)  We have discovered that many ChaDeMo stations do not work with Zero motorcycles because they are designed for higher voltages.  (...) Zero is working on this. 
Here is the the other thread where ChaDeMo is discussed in detail

Thanks for the reminder!  I wanted to follow up with AaronZeroMoto about the results of his meeting with AeroVironment, because they're the ones who supply the DCFCs that I would need to use.  AV's spec sheet says they work down to 50V, but it's up to Aaron or a brave local soul with a CHAdeMO plug to confirm.
Zero gasoline in the garage since May 2017

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 06:29:04 AM »

The CHAdeMO is awesome for the LEAF - It's amazing to watch the battery in my LEAF fill up in just a few minutes. Until Zero finds a way to make their bikes compatible with the CHAdeMO chargers you can use a set of their 'Quic' chargers to charge fairly quickly. I bought one of them initially, then recently got the 'Y'-adapter that will enable me to plug-in two Quic chargers simultaneously. I don't have the second charger yet, but the dealership where I bought my Zero has one that they let me use when I'm in that area. With the onboard charger working in tandem with two off-board chargers I can reduce the charge time on my 2012 (9 kWh) from 9 hours to 3 hours (from empty). It's not CHAdeMO, but it's not bad.

2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Pages: 1 [2]