• May 07, 2024, 05:28:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Really bummed, but no Zero for me for now.  (Read 13269 times)

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
Re: Really bummed, but no Zero for me for now.
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 05:05:45 AM »

but then I bought and installed my windshield, and things picked up considerably. I quickly found out that I could cruise as high as 75, which is about as fast as I generally want to cruise on the freeway anyhow, and I'd get home with 30% or more left.

Doug, what windshield did you install?
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 05:20:41 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WK36BS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was the biggest light-weight windshield I could find. It's old-school but it seems to perform very well and I've been very happy with it.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 06:07:07 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WK36BS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was the biggest light-weight windshield I could find. It's old-school but it seems to perform very well and I've been very happy with it.

I like that one Doug, you got pics on your bike? How was install, lots of cutting/juryrigging or pretty simple?

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »

It was quite easy; it's a universal mount and didn't take long. IIRC I had to stop at the hardware store and get some fender washers for the headlight mounting screws, but that's all.

Here's my bike shortly after I had it vinyl wrapped. Purple isn't for most people but I love it. I was playing around with adjusting the angle of the windshield and had it very straight up in this pic. I've found it works best when leaned back a ways from that position.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »

That's quite a lot of windshield  8)

Can you clarify if you are looking through or above the windshield?

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »

Over it. Only if I look down at the road pretty close in front of me do I see through it.

I wish it were higher. I still get a fair amount of wind on the top of my helmet, and I'm sure that represents turbulence, which means drag is higher than it could be. I don't see the purpose in a fairing or windshield that leaves large pieces of aerodynamically dirty surfaces (including the rider) exposed.

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2017, 02:55:10 AM »

I would not think it would look good but I like seeing some color on a bike.

I'll bet your range went up drastically with that shield - I seen a few extra miles when I installed my much smaller Zero touring shield.

Regards - Mike

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 04:54:47 AM »

I'm not so sure... I would think you want the smallest profile possible to face the wind.  Putting a big shield on it would just ADD drag, I would think... though the shield is probably more aerodynamic than the human body sitting in the saddle.

I went with the smallest "Commuter Shield" and just go into a Racer's Crouch on the highway.  That has definitely improved my range at highway speed dramatically; even more so than assuming the crouch WITHOUT the shield.

That crouch isn't much different than the typical riding position on a bicycle with drop bars and I'm VERY used to that position.

When not in a full tuck, the commuter shield breaks up enough of the wind hitting my chest that I'm not exhausted at the end of my ride, too.  In warm/hot weather with my mesh jacket on, it works wonderfully.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 06:21:20 AM »

I would think you want the smallest profile possible to face the wind.  Putting a big shield on it would just ADD drag, I would think... though the shield is probably more aerodynamic than the human body sitting in the saddle.

That second thing you said. Aerodynamically speaking, "dirty" is at least as bad as "big". And anyhow, the frontal area of the bike (the silhouette you'd see standing in front of the bike) doesn't necessarily expand too much if you just cover the rider's silhouette. It just gets cleaner...the wind just sees the very clean shield rather than your more turbulent helmet. The manufacturers try to make helmets pretty clean, but there's a limit to what they can do given the general size and shape requirements, and what people will accept in terms of styling. But a fairing or windshield is very clean aerodynamically...that's their only job.
Pages: 1 2 [3]