• May 06, 2024, 09:23:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Repeated belt breakups : any suggestion on what the issue could be ?  (Read 2537 times)

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
Re: Repeated belt breakups : any suggestion on what the issue could be ?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 12:48:42 AM »

Or maybe the spoket has been damage during the repair, making for exemple a sharp edge somewhere ?

mcvl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »

Same problem like Z TURBO on ZERO DS 2014 (4000km).The rear  wheel was not centered (bearing not in axle?).Effect:vibration @ 15km/h and some noise with belt.
Problem solved with re-centring the rear sproket with wheel axle. Result no noise and no vibration.
thanks
before 17 ICE bikes
DS2014
DRS2016
SRS 2020
DSR/X 2023

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 03:41:12 AM »

I broke two belts.

Seem to have stopped braking them.  I think moderating my throttle a bit when blasting up a pothole-laden street helps.  Getting air lets the rear wheel spin up a bit, and when it lands, there's a big differential reduction to the small motor sprocket, undue stress on the belt, which tears off a few teeth.  And once you have teeth missing, the rest of the belt soon goes as well.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »

Same here, broke two in 6000km's. Stopped trying to jump speedbumps and going WOT over potholes, and the belt is still fine now after 10k km's.

Ethestral

• Plugged in at the 10kw array inverter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 11:19:17 PM »

I'll jump on the bandwagon.

Broke two, high torque and the suspension travel seems to give enough flex to either the belt or the rear subframe. lengthening the effective belt path and allowing the teeth to skip/belt to break.

It's more likely it's a belt dimension issue. The design accounted for ideal conditions with a certain rider in mind. On The 2017's they increased the belt width and I don't believe people are still having this problem.

In the beginning they didn't expect those of us that ride stupid (harsh treatment of the throttle). While I don't think I'm extreme buy any means my riding style is outside their parameters. We play with the line of capable and danger. It's foolish to whack the throttle on any large displacement bike, typically you lose the rear wheel and drop the bike instantly. Watch some of the zero test ride clips and you'll see this more than once.

The zeros come close to throwing the wheel, there's a limiter that keeps it from happening at stop or very low speeds. At relatively slow speed you've got access to all the torque and if foolish enough it's easy to overwhelm the machine.

While possible to retrofit an older zero with the adapted sprockets and wider belt it moves the weak point in the system. The belt, while expensive costs way less than a new motor because of a broken keyway on the output shaft.

Basically my fix has been have extra belts nearby, and do my best to modulate the throttle when crossing debris or any roadway imperfections. Like mountain biking but I get to keep my breath and rarely risk vomiting when I push it hard.

Since your still reading, I'll mention I still love my 2016 DS. It's got enough power to make me giggle but not so much that I wrap myself around fixed roadside objects.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 03:09:46 AM »

The trick is to be in neutral throttle by the time you get air.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 02:06:50 AM »

The trick is to be in neutral throttle by the time you get air.

unless you're actually jumping in the air, then the trick is to use the wheel spinup and down to change the angle of the bike.

togo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 04:52:01 AM »

Surely you are joking, surely there is not time for such short of a low-gravity environment.  What, are you jumping on the moon?

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 07:26:12 PM »

Surely you are joking, surely there is not time for such short of a low-gravity environment.  What, are you jumping on the moon?

Surely you are not similar with high speed enduro, MX or supermoto then. I used to use the motor all the time to correct my landing with my CR.
I dont have an FX to jump... or I would.
Pages: 1 [2]