• May 04, 2024, 03:03:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Chain or Belt for the FX  (Read 5552 times)

Biff

• View Profile
Re: Chain or Belt for the FX
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 01:57:58 AM »

These guys who rode FX's from China to Italy had the Chain kit on one bike (the green one) and the belt on the other.  They have some good video and photos of their trip, the English blog is a little hard to read due translation, but interesting none the less.

http://www.meneghinaexpress.com/en/

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:05:55 AM by Biff »

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »

Wow. 12k km in 44 days.. that's as long as the Ride The Future tour took to do 7k, across what is probably more friendly terrain : )

Do you know, Biff, if they had a support crew? 300 km per day is probably 3 mid-day charges and 1 overnight charge.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:16:58 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 11:47:38 PM »

On my recent dirt rides in Utah I could hear rocks hitting the bike frequently (and occasionally me). It sure gave me the warm fuzzies to know there was an HD chain, not a belt, driving the rear wheel.  :)

Trikester

ladirt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »

I rode the 2013 Zero FX with a belt for a couple months before snapping it on a large branch. I just took it out for the first time with the chain kit and it is much LOUDER. Not a clicking or clacking like I imagined or experienced on chain driven ICE bikes but that of a car in bad shape. I don't feel like I have a stealth bike anymore. On the other hand I do feel more confident in rougher terrain away from home. Hoping the chain noise subsides some or I happen to get used to it. If anyone is worried about the noise I'm thinking of taking some audio while riding and posting it.
2013 Zero FX 5.7 / chain

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 10:38:31 PM »

Because I ride more dirt than pavement I've converted, to chain drive, all three of the Zero's I've bought as soon as I get them. Well, actually the third one was my 2013 FX and Harlan converted it before delivery. Like you, I was surprised at how much noise the chain made when I bought my first Zero (2010 DS). However, I also realized that I was more aware of the noise because I didn't have engine noise to partially cover it up and distract from it.

One thing that I've become aware of, is when I need to take slack out of the chain. The chain noise reaches a point where I'm aware that I need to adjust it. After adjustment it will be much quieter for awhile.

Trikester

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »

I ride a fair amount of dirt and have never broken a belt.   

Of the FX the belt should be able to slip between the pulley and the swing arm so removing the rear wheel would be the way to do it on the trail.  Not simple on a bike with no centers rand but certainly possible. 

Personally, I like the belt for its quiet and smooth characteristics but it is great that Zero made a chain drive option. 
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 10:41:25 AM »

On my way home from my shop one day I saw a broken motorcycle drive belt lying in the street. Somebody had a bad day.  :'(

Trikester

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 02:59:21 AM »

WindRider, you have to get it past the swingarm crossmember, so it's not just a rear wheel removal.  However it just occurred to me that you could use an old racer trick if you desperately want to use a belt off-road.  Just have a spare belt already threaded through there and zip tie it up out of the way (Perhaps you could wrap it around the swingarm crossmember on the right hand side?)  Obviously that's a bit annoying and if you break two in one trip you're out of luck!

Personally, my factory chain stretched and locked up after only a couple hundred miles so I went to a top of the line DID 520 chain.  It sounds a bit like a chainsaw and is definitely the dominant sound coming from the bike but I don't care, it's a performance machine and it's still silent at a stop and very unique sounding on the move.  I'm not actually using my "stealth" abilities for anything.  It's still quiet enough in the forest that I can hear flying rocks and panicked wildlife.  Also, I had originally planned to swap belt to chain every time I swap dirt to supermoto/commute setup but eventually just went chain full-time as swapping the front sprocket/cog was too much of a PITA.  I have my wheel swap time down to about half an hour.  If I bought a second rear brake rotor and sprocket I could probably shave off another 10 minutes.

Hope to see the originator of this thread around or any others riding dirt in the Bay Area!  I haven't made it to Hollister yet (Sunday maybe?) but I've been to Metcalf several times and up north to Mendocino.  The only other Zeros I've ever seen in action have been on highway 17 near the HQ!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:01:33 AM by LiveandLetDrive »
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 05:18:56 AM »

Swing arm crossmember....   Doh.   You are right, that makes it more of an operation.   

Thanks for pointing that out.   
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 08:47:22 PM »

Zombie thread I know.

When I replaced my belt a couple of weeks ago I tried to figure out if I could put another belt on there just in case and it turns out the short answer is no, the long answer is maybe.

The motor mounts would require you run the belt like you are going to put it on. Originally I thought I could run the belt behind the motor and tie the slack off in the space behind my battery (I have an SR) but the motor mounts get in the way of this thought.

In order to do this you would have to run it close to the top and bottom of the motor mounts and tie off there, but you are not done yet. At this point you have a ton of slack left behind your bike and in order to deal with it you are going to have to gently flex the belt back towards the motor leaving enough from for motion in the swing arm ... this would be a huge PINA.

And, the best part is even if you do it you now have another problem. Since the belt has to be inside the motor mounts and close to the original belt there is a good chance the belt that is on the bike will rub up against it >_<

I gave up after this thought experiment and simply placed my belt on leaving the spare at home :/

I have been thinking about making a sheet metal belt guard to block debris and buying another set of rims / tires / brake rotors for a DS setup to take the bike off-road more. Something tells me I should just buy a truck and an FX with a chain on it though. Might not happen till I get land so it could be a while of being paranoid whenever I travel on a gravel or dirt road with rocks.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 01:05:39 AM »

Personally I wouldn't tie the belt up like that around the swingarm like a few have mentioned

2 belts won't be the same size; the second one that has been bent into a  peculiar position will break very soon after it's put on.  You cannot bend the belts back on them self over on them self zip tie them to anything they have to be handled with care and then put straight on the bike .
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's
Pages: 1 [2]