• May 06, 2024, 07:54:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Riding in rain  (Read 1470 times)

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: Riding in rain
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 10:51:57 PM »

It suddenly occurred to me that DoctorBass' explanation makes the motor oscillate a very tiny bit but that this resonates the belt like a tuning fork. (Reminds me of a Navy story involving an 8MW generator where the oil pump impeller had sheared, causing carbon brushes to break from oil pressure transients causing tiny oscillations.) So, the explanations don't conflict, it's just knowing where to use the spray (front sprocket?) and that the silicone spray selection just has to avoid damaging the belt.

I've fixed the wiki entry for this - hopefully it's clarifying now. I certainly feel like a mystery has been sorted out.

Haha....exactly...we are having the same thoughts!
2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 11:14:51 PM »

It suddenly occurred to me that DoctorBass' explanation makes the motor oscillate a very tiny bit but that this resonates the belt like a tuning fork. (Reminds me of a Navy story involving an 8MW generator where the oil pump impeller had sheared, causing carbon brushes to break from oil pressure transients causing tiny oscillations.)

Reading this made me think of hitting the belt's resonant frequency and I suddenly had this image of my bike breaking to pieces due to a chain reaction caused by the belt vibration! Haha

It made me think of this old video of the Tacoma Narrows bridge...haha

2014 Zero S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 11:24:09 PM »

It suddenly occurred to me that DoctorBass' explanation makes the motor oscillate a very tiny bit but that this resonates the belt like a tuning fork. (Reminds me of a Navy story involving an 8MW generator where the oil pump impeller had sheared, causing carbon brushes to break from oil pressure transients causing tiny oscillations.)

Reading this made me think of hitting the belt's resonant frequency and I suddenly had this image of my bike breaking to pieces due to a chain reaction caused by the belt vibration! Haha

It made me think of this old video of the Tacoma Narrows bridge...haha

Thankfully, it won't do that! "Resonating" in my manner of speaking is a fairly general phenomenon. (Another program I was involved in took six-axis accelerometer readings on bearings, axles, etc. and then we stared at FFT/wavelet breakdowns with some assistive software to identify upcoming breakdowns and wear.)

But yes, I've had that engineering story burned into my brain like the per-minute forensic logs of Chernobyl and (less catastrophically) Three-Mile Island.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Gimli1844

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 12:37:10 AM »

I have found myself multiple times in a sever down pours on my way home from work with no issues on my 2013 S and once found my self with water up to foot pegs during a flash flood with no issue.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 12:59:45 AM »

Our bikes have sealed packs and motors, right? They should run under water...
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)
Pages: 1 [2]