Makes And Models > Energica

Long Period Rest with the bike stored in unheated below freezing garage

(1/7) > >>

weck:
Living in the frozen white north (Wisconsin), we regularly see stretches where it does not get above 0 C / 32 F.   I'd like to use the LPR function when I put the bike away for the season, however this is air cooled battery with no conditioning, so charging below freezing is no good. 

Does anyone know if the LPR function takes temperature into account?  Or am I better off just charging it to 100% and checking on it every 30 days (per the manual)?

Almost considering if I can maybe use a smart plug on the charger (at 120v) and only turn on the power if it gets to 40 degrees or warmer...

Has anyone else dealt with sub freezing storage and charging?

Fran K:
Generally it is best to avoid charging to 100% unless you are going for a ride real soon.  You would want to store it at 50% or so.  I would read the manual for that particular motorcycle there is likely a half page or so pertaining to this  I can say Makita power tool batteries don't seem to mind being stored sub freezing and even fully charged though they likely set the bms different than a motorcycle for what voltage and cell type are in them.  For me and my ktm I have the choice of bringing in the battery to a warmer spot but have done drop cloth over the motorcycle and heat source a couple of times when I wanted to use it in the colder seasons.

MVetter:
That's really not what he's asking.

Now, without consulting someone official like Chris, I *suspect* you'll be fine. The LPR function wakes up and checks on the bike's voltage and, if needed, charges it a little. And if you use a level 1 EVSE we're talking a couple amps. The batteries do not like to operate in sub freezing weather, but you're basically just talking trickle charge if it needs to adjust itself at all.

cscherer@bluewin.ch:
I agree with MVetter. It is far better to keep it in the LPR mode than leaving it without. The main purpose of the LPR mode is to keep the cells balanced. Also I didn't find a value in the manual that warns you from store in deep temperatures.

weck:
the manual is a little schizophrenic in this area...

It recommends LPR, but if you cannot, recommends charging to 100% at least once a month (I'm in the don't store it there camp like others mentioned), but then also recommends against charging below freezing.

I did email out to CA and the response I got was they are pretty sure the BMS will not allow charging below 10c/14f, so I'm probably A-OK just leaving it on LPR all winter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version