• May 19, 2024, 11:34:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Will KTM surprise us with something at the Motorcycle Shows?  (Read 1410 times)

Apriliarsv

• View Profile
Will KTM surprise us with something at the Motorcycle Shows?
« on: September 30, 2018, 11:01:04 PM »

I hope we see the 390 duke size electric motorcycle.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Will KTM surprise us with something at the Motorcycle Shows?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 04:10:38 AM »

I hope we see the 390 duke size electric motorcycle.

Maybe, but I am not holding my breath for that.  ???  KTM seems a little lukewarm about the electric motorcycle market to me, in spite of various statements by their company representatives in the past.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 04:46:41 AM »

Yes they seemed to talk strong about electric yet do not seem to be putting much effort into it. At least they did increase the battery to 3.6KWh or something, but the others are like 5.8 and still struggle with range, so it seems like KTM is still behind. 

I do like KTM's method on the Freeride, of being a smaller bike. Since electric has issues with range, maybe the smaller trail orientated bike is better.  Alta went the track route which does make sense to be close to the staging area and a somewhat stable length of ride so you can plan your range. But if the higher speeds and powerful motors needed for the track are difficult for range, maybe a slower trail pace might provide some help to the range problem. The smaller and shorter wheelbase trail bikes are fun and sometimes the full size bike like the Alta is too much for tight offroad. I think KTM does not want the bike to gain weight, so they don't like more batteries. It is a difficult problem right now between weight and range. So many other things about electric are great for the offroad trails though. That CAKE bike is trying to create something between a motorcycle and a bike for offroad, which is a yet a different method. I think KTM is still onto something, but maybe they don't know what to do now.   

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 06:06:35 AM »

The suprise might wear Husqvarna clothes.

The Freeride must be five years old by now.  They made a special frame for the battery bike over some flex or not wanted flex in the battery connection.  Then they made a non power valve 250 two stroke engine for it, and also installed a 350 four stroke one and now a 250 four stroke one.  The battery one is a pretty clean application, very narrow, the rear brake on the handlebar is great once you get used to it unless you want to use both hands a stop.

I think the range expectations are too much, a gasoline engine uses 14.7 times the weight of air as fuel. A battery does not harvest air.  With a battery drill driver the battery can be swapped out in similar time to adding fuel.k  Even just a T handle 10mm socket, there are only four fastners.  I understand the new battery uses sony cells probably a different code number and the prior was panasonic.

They might be a suprise never really thought about it,  I doubt it would have a comfortable seat or a joy to use kick or sidestand.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:13:07 AM by Fran K »
Pages: [1]