• May 06, 2024, 10:13:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quick charger for ktm freeride E  (Read 2417 times)

Edipo76

• View Profile
Quick charger for ktm freeride E
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:09:15 PM »

Bye, everybody,
I was looking at the charger of the ktm and it seems heavy and immense, impossible I think I can take it with me when you go in enduro and you want to load to a socket. Are there any commercial alternatives? Does anyone know the characteristics of the battery and which charger does it need? Thank you

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Quick charger for ktm freeride E
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 12:58:08 AM »

What's the KTM's battery voltage?

Edipo76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 01:28:47 AM »

I do not know, but I read that it has 360 lithium ion cells produced by Sony and reaches 3.9 kWh

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 04:45:23 AM »

I am sure the voltage is in the range of 250, of course it depends on how charged up it is.  I believe there are 5 cells in parallell and then 72 sets in series to get the 360 cells total.  That comes out to 259 if using 3.6 volts per cell. Pretty much what is engraved in the plate on the battery.  edit that is for mine the 2017 with panasonic cells, Are not the sony batteries smaller so might have more in parallell?  The weight is the same basially but the capacity is half more is my understnding.

I think enduro means different things to different people.  At best here It would take 5 or so batteries and a support crew to pick them up and have the fresh ones that the trail boss would have to tell your support crew where to go.  There are sprint enduro not sure exactly what that means.  Maybe one could get a couple of batteries charged up so only need 3.

It is my understanding from reading on the Alta forum that racing heats up the battery and so does fast charging.

One probably needs the charger the bike comes with I think it is kind of cute and looks like a baby inverter welder.  the plug is about half an inch in diameter with i think 7 pins.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:56:41 AM by Fran K »

Edipo76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 01:57:22 PM »

259v of voltage? This seems to me to be a very unusual value. Are there other vehicles that used these voltages? And as a result there are other compatible chargers?

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 04:48:07 AM »

As far as I was concerned it was a Zero FX, the KTM freeride, Or an Alta of some variety.

I thought the literature saying only use 250 volts ac and 50 cycles per second was a bit off considering what is available in the states.

There is a 12 volt battery under the seat, kind of looks like the size of a small motorcycle battery but when you pull it up it is only 2 inches or so deep.  The KTM charger is supposed to charge this one as well as the main tration battery.  There must be some way it can charge from a battery swap as opposed to charge.  There are fault indicators in the charger.  The instructions say plug in bike, plug in charger, then turn on charger.  Do reverse when done.  It must be doing some communication with the battery before charging.  There most likely is temperature sensing so as not to cook it.  It draws 10 amps 250volts ac on normal, and 13 amps on fast at least before tapering off.

Do you want to charge faster or plug into a lower voltage ac socket?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:50:54 AM by Fran K »

Edipo76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 01:15:07 PM »

I would like to find a battery charger to carry in my backpack, because the original ktm one seems to me too big and cumbersome. Is there nothing suitable at the moment?
Pages: [1]