• May 04, 2024, 08:49:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zero S 6.5 owner's review  (Read 2122 times)

Adan

• View Profile
Zero S 6.5 owner's review
« on: January 26, 2017, 12:41:06 AM »

So I'm new to posting here though I joined the forum awhile ago.  I've had my S 6.5 for a few days and because I couldn't find any review of it anywhere, thought I'd offer one.  Bottom line, very happy with it.

I owned a Brammo Enertia when they first came out, and then rode a Brammo Empulse for 3 years and 19,000 miles.  Before buying the Empulse in 2013 I test rode a Zero S.  Though I liked how light and nimble the Zero was, the difference in quality was very apparent and I was just drawn by the charisma of the Empulse.  When Polaris bought the Empulse my nearest service center moved to a Victory dealership 50 miles away, and they were clueless.  I felt lucky to get a decent price on the Empulse through Craigslist.

For about 6 months I commuted on my MV Agusta, but I was missing the pleasures of commuting by ebike.   The S 6.5 seemed tailor-made for my commute, which is 40 miles roundtrip, 16 miles of that being freeway.  I figured if it could get me to work with some mileage to spare for errands, that's really all I need.  I wouldn't be buying battery capacity or carrying weight I don't need.

Well, so far so good.  It's extremely light of course, and it's quick.  The only other Zero I've been on was the 2013 S test ride.  I want to say the 2013 S was quicker, which would make sense with its better hp/weight ratio, but I'm comparing a current ride to one I did more than 3 years ago, so not a trustworthy impression.  In any case, the S 6.5 is certainly quick enough for my commute.

Suspension is very firm, but I like it that way.  Front and rear brakes very effective with decent feel.  Range seems to be tracking the specs, maybe a little less, but it's been cold here in the Bay Area the past few days so that should improve when temps get above 60 F.

Moving from an Empulse to a Zero, I do somewhat miss the feeling of quality of the Brammo, and I actually do miss having gears.   But I don't miss the weight.  The S 6.5 is 160 lbs lighter and for a bike that's only going 40-60 miles a day, most of that through city, that just makes so much more sense to me.

The lower storage compartment is quite substantial and is a real benefit.  It's wide enough to fit my tablet.  Because I can leave the tablet and other important stuff locked up, I don't feel like I need a top case and can just use my Cortech soft bags, which are lighter and easier for groceries, etc.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:47:59 AM by Adan »

SM

• View Profile
Re: Zero S 6.5 owner's review
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 01:01:01 AM »

Appreciate the review.  What about the price?  A friend asked me about the 6.5 last week and all I could offer was that few months ago for the same price you'd get 33% more range and 10-20% more HP.

Adan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 01:24:29 AM »

For commuting and the few other trips I'll be doing with the Zero, I don't need the extra range.  I don't want to pay more, have a heavier bike, and not have the storage space, just so I can have range I won't be using.  This is obviously specific to my situation. 

Similarly, HP isn't an issue.  I haven't A-B'd the 6.5 with a higher HP Zero, but I can tell you the 6.5 is plenty fast.  More HP would do nothing for me.

This, I presume, is Zero's reasoning in offering the 6.5 -- that there are enough folks in my situation to justify the model.

I'd be thinking about this differently if I didn't have a gas bike in the garage.  Anytime I think I might need more range, or anytime I'm riding for pleasure, I've got that option.  If the Zero was my only bike, I'd go for the bigger battery pack and a level II charger.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 04:20:54 AM »

Your situation sounds like mine, only my daily commute is longer.  I decided to go with the full 13kWh battery because a 100 mile weekend backroad romp is feasible too.  I just use my gas engine bikes for longer trips (and in REALLY cold weather when I can appreciate the heated saddle, heated grips and electric vest without worrying about how much it'll affect my range).
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 05:19:20 AM »

Welcome! I live in Oakland, and am curious what your commute is like?

I upgraded from a 13DS 11.4 to a 16DSR 13.0 to push hard at the boundaries of travel, but I can't imagine even using the 11.4 to get around the SF Bay, because winds can quickly eat into your range just crossing certain bridges.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 05:36:12 AM »

I am in a similar situation. That is why I went with an FX ( set up as an FXs ) instead of the big one.
I probably have around 10K on my 2013 FX(s) 5.7. I was hoping for a few things with 2017, most of
which didn't materialize. The 6.5 was one of the things I hoped for, but I wasn't very happy that they
went with the FX motor for it. I also wanted a factory J1772 plug STANDARD, even if it didn't offer
standard faster charging. I have an adapter, but had hoped for one from the factory.
Given this, I picked up a 2016 SR at a price that I couldn't resist. Like you, my FX(s) meets my daily
commute needs with enough fun to go around. The reason I passed on the S / SR in the first place
was because of the weight. While it is lighter than my gas bikes, it is still significantly heavier than
my FX(s).  DEFINITELY noticeable after riding the FX(s). But, it does carry a passenger, so, can take
my g/f along now with city rides without having to go ICE.
   Congratulations on the new ride.

Adan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 06:49:14 AM »

Welcome! I live in Oakland, and am curious what your commute is like?

I upgraded from a 13DS 11.4 to a 16DSR 13.0 to push hard at the boundaries of travel, but I can't imagine even using the 11.4 to get around the SF Bay, because winds can quickly eat into your range just crossing certain bridges.

I know what you mean, I've experienced those headwinds on the Bay Bridge.  But not so much on my commute across the Golden Gate Bridge.  Those are side winds on the bridge, and then you can get hit by some gnarly swirling gusts on that short stretch up to the rainbow tunnel (aka the Robin Williams tunnel). 

Will be interesting to see how the little S handles gusty conditions.  At 313 lbs with a windscreen and soft bags, I may feel like a leaf in the wind, but hey, that's how you know you're alive.

The main challenge of my commute is lane splitting.  Lots of it.  Sometimes several miles worth.  The S is a good bit narrower than my MV Agusta TVL, and narrower than the Empulse was with its side bags.  Every centimeter counts.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 09:26:00 AM »

Will be interesting to see how the little S handles gusty conditions.  At 313 lbs with a windscreen and soft bags, I may feel like a leaf in the wind, but hey, that's how you know you're alive.

It should be fine, since you'll have very little surface area, but I guess such a light bike might be closer to traction issues. Take care.

For what it's worth, there's a Bay Area electric riders group that gathers monthly to meet and ride to Alice's, although 6.5 is probably not really going to make that from where you live! You're welcome to show up on whatever bike works, I suppose.

The main challenge of my commute is lane splitting.  Lots of it.  Sometimes several miles worth.  The S is a good bit narrower than my MV Agusta TVL, and narrower than the Empulse was with its side bags.  Every centimeter counts.

Lane splitting is great even on my DSR. The SR sits lower so your mirrors might interact with sedans whereas I normally have to content with truck mirrors.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 12:09:12 PM »

This, I presume, is Zero's reasoning in offering the 6.5 -- that there are enough folks in my situation to justify the model.

I think that's part of it. The four brick bikes have made up the vast majority of Zero's sales - the three brick bike was just too close to differentiate it from the four brick bike, and almost everyone that weighed the two just went for the 4 brick.

Making the bike substantially lighter and offering the storage compartment makes sense for a short range commuter, while still keeping the same ergonomics and styling of the S vs the FX.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »

Lane splitting is great even on my DSR. The SR sits lower so your mirrors might interact with sedans whereas I normally have to content with truck mirrors.
I'd say SR mirrors are higher than most sedans and lower than most trucks, so there's no issue. Once in a while of course you encounter something that's neither sedan nor truck and there are two of those things, sitting perfectly opposite of each other and there's no way for you to fit in :)

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 03:58:44 PM »

That's when you wheelie through them!
Or more realistically, lean your bike abit and turn the handlebars while ignoring the WTF looks from the drivers.

I ride an FXS and I have to say, filtering with the fairly wide handlebars + hand guards isn't as much fun as with narrower handlebars.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »

In an effort to understand the appeal of the 6.5, no personal attacks it just didn't make sense to me, the storage compartment was enough of an upside feature to beat out the FXS?  Did you ever get a chance to ride the FXS?  Its thinner lighter and has more range.  Was it the lower seating height of the S? Again if your happy I'm happy for you I just didn't see an appeal on the surface.

Adan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 09:05:25 PM »

I actually didn't notice that the FXS has more range, that might have made it a close decision if I'd considered it.  But I still would have settled on the S, for two reasons.  First, storage space is crucial for my commuting.  I'm often bringing home groceries for a family of 4 + au pair, on top of work stuff.  And sometimes a wetsuit with fins  8)  With the S, I can stack my 3-part Cortech set of side bags, which is a huge capacity.  That probably wouldn't work on the FXS, or if it did it would like mighty awkward.

Second is the ability to add a charger, which I may or may not do in the future if my riding needs change.

The S with its narrower bars is probably a better lane splitter, but folks might debate that point as lane splitting is both art and science.

I'll be mounting bar ends in a couple days.

I'm still figuring it out but I believe the S 6.5 will have range for all my needs.  A few more miles probably wouldn't advantage me. 

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 09:11:40 PM by Adan »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 09:25:33 PM »

Ahhh yes the charge tank or supercharger, options I missed.  Well enjoy and good luck and wide lanes for your lane splitting.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 10:49:21 PM »

Question about the range, the FXS has more city range but the S has more highway range.
Is that right?
Pages: [1] 2