• May 05, 2024, 03:00:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Any Zero and Tesla owners?  (Read 1536 times)

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
Any Zero and Tesla owners?
« on: June 08, 2015, 03:13:56 AM »

I am sure we are all EV enthusiasts here and I was wondering if there is anyone that owns a Tesla as well as their Zero.  I took over the lease of my wife's Nissan Leaf and it ends next march.  I am toying with the idea of getting a used Tesla.  I found 2 around me for $50,000 but they have been repaired form collisions.  Unfortunately that's probably the highest I could go.  What do you think of your Tesla?  Is it worth the cost?  How does acceleration on a single motor Tesla compare to the feel of your Zero?  I know they are 0-60 in 5+ seconds but just wondering how it feels to the driver.  Any other info would be great as well.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

Lecram

• View Profile
Re: Any Zero and Tesla owners?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 01:40:56 PM »

I own a BMW i3 and I love tbis car. It's fast and comfortable. Once I drove a Tesla for one day and I was glad to get back in my i3.
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 11:13:07 PM »

I drove a Tesla P85, which has a 5 second 0-60 and it was amazing!  Everything about it is incredible.  I can't wait for the (more affordable) Model 3 to come out in a few years!  I drive a Volt when the roads freeze.  The BMW i3 is good stuff, too.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 03:39:46 AM »

Lecram, what is it that you didn't like about the tesla?  I haven't driven one yet but I did drive an i3.  I liked the i3 and it was quick but for the price I wasn't sold on it.  Benswing, my wife just got a volt and we like it alot.  I have had my heart set on a tesla ever since I first saw one, in fact without seeing that there is a good chance I wouldn't be riding a Zero right now.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

Lecram

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 04:15:49 AM »

Lecram, what is it that you didn't like about the tesla?  I haven't driven one yet but I did drive an i3.  I liked the i3 and it was quick but for the price I wasn't sold on it.  Benswing, my wife just got a volt and we like it alot.  I have had my heart set on a tesla ever since I first saw one, in fact without seeing that there is a good chance I wouldn't be riding a Zero right now.

The Tesla I drove was noisy, had bad seats and the interior is not premium like a BMW. The Tesla has huge dimensions. The i3 is more a hot-hatch and easier to drive.
The advantages of Tesla are its longer range and the availability of Superchargers. My i3 however has a range extender. I do not use this rex often but it has helped me in crucial situations when no charger was available. Last year I did a 850 km trip to Southern Germany in one day with about 9 liters fuel
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

walla2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 12:04:01 PM »

I have a Roadster and Model S.  They are each unique cars that really are on the forefront of the automobile.  The roadster is raw, small, lacks power steering and makes a prius look large. The S is fast, easy to drive, comfortable, and luxurious.  The P85 single rear motor is a fast 3.9 sec 0-60.  It handles well in light snow even with summer tires.  Every passenger that has ever been in mine wants one afterm a few launches.  Both have a full tank everyday for my short commute and Superchargers make travelling without gas a reality in the S.  The tech is amazing in both, and the instant torque is incredibly addicting.   That's why I bought a Zero.  I just wish my Zero worked as well as my Teslas . . .
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:08:39 PM by walla2 »

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 04:38:19 AM »

My 2015 SR is my 4th EV. My Leaf lease is up in November at which time I'll make the SR my primary vehicle while I wait for the 3rd generation Tesla. I'm also keeping an eye on the Chevy Bolt, but Tesla's Supercharging network will probably be the deal breaker.
I haven't heard for sure - will the next Telsa be compatible with the Superchargers?
My SR is currently "in the shop", but I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow.
Meanwhile I'm riding "old reliable" - my 2007 Vectrix (it keeps on going and going and going....)
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 04:50:47 AM »

Walla2, that's a pretty impressive EV collection.  I'm jealous.  ???  I was also going to wait for the Tesla model 3 but seeing how the model x was supposed to be released last year I don't see the model 3 coming out until 2018.  Right now they are predicting late 2017 but I'm sure they'll miss that mark.  Since my leaf lease is ending next year there aren't many full ev options even though I do like the volt and i3 and leaf, I'm just not wanting to buy either of those.  The bolt would be interesting but again it won't be out until 2017 model year.  So it seems my best option is a used model s.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

walla2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 07:15:25 AM »

A cpo Model S is a great option.  Fleet purchases allow a discount but still new purchase option for tax advantages.  If 0-60 doesn't matter, a 85 is great. If it does, the P85 is the way to go.  Superfast?  P85D it but those won't be $50k for awhile.  Cars from 2014 have more tech features, better build quality, and slightly faster charging batteries (~30 minutes vs 45 on a supercharger for 180 miles).  Questions to ask?  Battery rated range at 90% or range charge.  What pack ( b,c,d >>> A)?  Miles don't matter much.  Pack quality remaining is what matters on these cars.  My car has had minimal degradation in about 2.8 years.

Greg06

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 07:21:04 AM »

I figured I'd register after reading through this thread - We have a Tesla Model S P85 and BMW i3 Rex in the garage.  The Tesla is my daily driver, including snow tires for winter.  Each vehicle is different and has it's advantages (the i3 LED headlights are amazing!), but I like both of them and don't mind switching cars once and while. 

I absolutely love the Tesla, and think it was worth the money.  Acceleration and regen is strong and smooth, and I've had very few issues with the vehicle after a full year.  Besides the collision ones you've seen, there should continue to be some pretty good CPO deals coming in.  With the P85D coming out recently (all wheel drive), a lot of people traded in their rear wheel drive ones to upgrade.  There might be more of that once the Model X starts to ship.  Or watch the Tesla Motors Club forums for sale posts - there have been some decent deals on there too.  And to the point of the Model 3 (will be looking at this once the i3 lease is up), I wouldn't be surprised with a delay into 2018 after watching the Model X. 

After driving these and enjoying the 1-speed and quiet smoothness, I test drove a 2014 S and 2015 SR.  The SR will be picked up this Friday.  :)
2015 Zero SR, Model S, i3 Rex

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 08:33:03 AM »

Thanks walla2.  Greg06, I'm excited you are getting an SR.  I love mine even though they aren't perfect.  I have almost 800 miles on mine and the only issue I have had is a bit of brake squeak and twice I had to turn the key off and back on to get it to work.  The smoothness and acceleration puts a smile on my face.  As far as the tesla I have been looking at some cpo's but they seem overpriced.  It's almost like they are not even taking into account the federal rebate on the resale price.  So in some cases I could get a new one for cheaper than the used one's they are selling after the rebates.  This doesn't even include state incentives.  I think it's great that they are maintaining their value but it makes it hard for a guy like me to get into one.  Hopefully something will come up by the beginning of next year.  Florida is the only place I can find cpo's for around $60,000.  I think I could afford more than that but I cant see paying $600 a month after $20,000 down. 
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

Greg06

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 05:44:23 AM »

Yeah, it's still early, but it'd be worth watching and seeing how it goes once the program has been out there for a while.  Plus the forums are probably have some better deals if you go the private sale route.  Might be worth checking what's out there every once in while, especially since prices should come down a bit in 9 months.     

And yes, very excited for the SR!  I would have been fine with an S too - but after reading about all the upgrades they did for 2015 compared to the 2014 S 11.4 they had I figured it was worth the jump up.  Even with the Tesla I've had to reset the main tablet 3 times over 12 months, so a quick reboot everyone once in a great while doesn't bother me too much as long as it's not at a critical time.  Hoping for a very low maintenance experience!
2015 Zero SR, Model S, i3 Rex

robby

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »

I don't own both yet but I will on Friday (picking up a factory demo 2013 XU with 195 miles on it).

We own a Tesla 85D. It's amazing. Smooth, sporty, beautiful and fun -- the hype is well earned. If you are on the fence and can afford it, you will not regret it.

I would not worry about buying a Tesla that was involved in a collision, even if it was a salvage. Tesla has pretty strict quality control over its cars. If a car is in a bad accident and receives severe damage that its computer can detect (say, an airbag goes off), Tesla won't even reactivate the car unless it has been repaired at a Tesla approved shop or is subsequently certified by a Tesla technician (if you search over at TMC, you can find a bunch of threads on this, as well as some sour grapes from people who wanted to buy damaged cars, only to risk not having Tesla enable them). If you can verify the work was done at a Tesla certified shop, you can be assured they know aluminum well and received extensive training straight from the manufacturer.

Good luck, and enjoy.

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 08:11:42 AM »

Getting my Tesla Monday!  ;D  I ordered a CPO off of Tesla's website almost 2 weeks ago.  I had to get it transported from CA but I'm pretty excited it will be here soon.  It's a 2013 grey model s 85 with grey leather and 11,000 miles.  About a year ago I planned to sell my Zero to get a Tesla but I am keeping the Zero since I saved enough cash over the last year. 
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual
Pages: [1]