• May 15, 2024, 01:56:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best bang for the buck FXS or DS/DSR  (Read 2913 times)

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
Re: Best bang for the buck FXS or DS/DSR
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 11:06:47 PM »

The DSR can do > 100 miles when running at or around 40MPH (without a charge tank).  Regen would come into play on the steeps giving you some recovery and efficiency is pretty high below 50MPH in my experience.  I've covered 60+ miles and come home with 41% riding back roads (route 4 from Portsmouth to Northwood and back).  Not as hilly as the Kang...

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 11:26:44 PM »

thanks Steve, I may need to look more at the DSR, I was looking at the FXS for fun factor
Zero soon, 2015 CSC RX3, 2011 Ural Gear p, 1995 GL1500SE

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 02:15:44 AM »

Have any of you ridden in the mountains yet (I sure some have) ?  just wondering if it compares with city, highway or combination more closely as far as distance.  I am wondering because one ride which is considered close is riding the Kancamagus Highway NH which is about 55 miles of up and down hills average speed is around 40mph. There are charging stations on the other side. So would the FXS 6.8 handle one way trip charge there and come back.

Charging station there has 3 Wall Outlet (120v)s, 3 EV Plug (J1772)s, 2 Tesla HPWC (Model S)s can the J1772 be used with the FXS ?
I just got my SR so can't comment on mountain riding but will tell you a story of a ride I took on the kang last month with my electric car. Thought I had plenty of miles to make it to a waterfall but as I entered the climb, the battery started sucking power like I've never seen before, so the predicted 55 mi range dropped to 12 after I completed the climb.  I was 20 mi from a gas station.  Barely made it, and that was because the return trip was mostly downhill. I'm guessing the same would apply to the zero's batteries.  There are a few guys who went cost to coast and crossed the different ranges of mountains, so I'm sure they could chime in on their battery experiences

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 02:30:03 AM »

Have any of you ridden in the mountains yet (I sure some have) ?  just wondering if it compares with city, highway or combination more closely as far as distance.  I am wondering because one ride which is considered close is riding the Kancamagus Highway NH which is about 55 miles of up and down hills average speed is around 40mph. There are charging stations on the other side. So would the FXS 6.8 handle one way trip charge there and come back.

Charging station there has 3 Wall Outlet (120v)s, 3 EV Plug (J1772)s, 2 Tesla HPWC (Model S)s can the J1772 be used with the FXS ?
I just got my SR so can't comment on mountain riding but will tell you a story of a ride I took on the kang last month with my electric car. Thought I had plenty of miles to make it to a waterfall but as I entered the climb, the battery started sucking power like I've never seen before, so the predicted 55 mi range dropped to 12 after I completed the climb.  I was 20 mi from a gas station.  Barely made it, and that was because the return trip was mostly downhill. I'm guessing the same would apply to the zero's batteries.  There are a few guys who went cost to coast and crossed the different ranges of mountains, so I'm sure they could chime in on their battery experiences

Is your car a hybrid or total electric? Because you mentioned gas station

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 06:32:50 PM »

If I go DSR which setup is better power tank or Diginow or ?? advantages of one over the other

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 12:38:00 AM »

If I go DSR which setup is better power tank or Diginow or ?? advantages of one over the other

We need to write this up on the wiki, but here's the tradeoff:

Powertank: 25% more range, no charge rate improvement so charge time to full goes up 25%. Weight goes up.

Charger upgrade: depends on charger. Charge Tank and Elcon both yield ~3x charging improvement. Charge Tank consumes tank area so excludes a power tank, and weighs the most. One Elcon is less expensive, less heavy, fits in a case, and provides a little more than the Charge Tank. DigiNow Supercharger is very compact, ~8x charging improvement, lighter than an Elcon, but the most expensive. Fits in the tank or a top case but not a side case.

If you want more miles for a single charge, a power tank will solve that problem but try buying a windscreen first if all you care about is not losing highway range, because it's cheaper and highway range is mostly about drag.

If you want more miles **per day**, get a charger. A single Elcon will let you use 2-3 full charges in a day as long as you can afford 1-2 hours between stretches. The Supercharger raises that to about 7+ charges in a day, depending on your stamina and planning.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 02:55:31 AM »

Is your car a hybrid or total electric? Because you mentioned gas station
It's a Volt but the gas tank was pretty much empty. I thought I could make it on the electric miles remaining but the climb pretty much ate all those up way faster than I had ever seen before.  if I would have had gas, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 03:02:21 AM »

Powertank: 25% more range, no charge rate improvement so charge time to full goes up 25%. Weight goes up.

Charger upgrade: depends on charger. Charge Tank and Elcon both yield ~3x charging improvement. Charge Tank consumes tank area so excludes a power tank, and weighs the most. One Elcon is less expensive, less heavy, fits in a case, and provides a little more than the Charge Tank. DigiNow Supercharger is very compact, ~8x charging improvement, lighter than an Elcon, but the most expensive. Fits in the tank or a top case but not a side case.

If you want more miles for a single charge, a power tank will solve that problem but try buying a windscreen first if all you care about is not losing highway range, because it's cheaper and highway range is mostly about drag.

If you want more miles **per day**, get a charger. A single Elcon will let you use 2-3 full charges in a day as long as you can afford 1-2 hours between stretches. The Supercharger raises that to about 7+ charges in a day, depending on your stamina and planning.

Brian

Thanks for the info what are the power requirements for the supercharger, normal outlets won't do the trick correct. Living in northern new england can be like third world countries.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 03:30:59 AM »

Brian

Thanks for the info what are the power requirements for the supercharger, normal outlets won't do the trick correct. Living in northern new england can be like third world countries.

It has a product page for that: http://diginow.it/super-charger-for-zero-motorcycle.php
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 03:54:43 AM »

Thanks for the link

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 06:51:13 AM »

We'll have to get together some time for a group ride. I know there is one or 2 other zero owners out there in NH. I went for the Power tank option, main reason, more range. I'll be riding with others on ice bikes and for a day trip, I'm going to need range to get there and back without inconveniencing them to have to wait for me somewhere while charging.  Not to mention driving off route to find a charger. I will begetting a diginow as well, but max range in a area that doesn't have many charging locations was key in my decision process.

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 05:24:19 PM »

We'll have to get together some time for a group ride. I know there is one or 2 other zero owners out there in NH. I went for the Power tank option, main reason, more range. I'll be riding with others on ice bikes and for a day trip, I'm going to need range to get there and back without inconveniencing them to have to wait for me somewhere while charging.  Not to mention driving off route to find a charger. I will begetting a diginow as well, but max range in a area that doesn't have many charging locations was key in my decision process.

I am looking at both options as well, charging stations in the North are few and far between

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2016, 04:12:06 PM »

Dukecola where are you located?

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile