• May 09, 2024, 05:18:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anyone taken their bikes (FX) into water?  (Read 1507 times)

TargeT

• $.58 a kWh... and I ride electric?
    • View Profile
Anyone taken their bikes (FX) into water?
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:52:41 PM »

I did this weekend, it ended up being a lot deeper than I thought and got totaly soaked, the water was almost up to the seat  :o and after I got the bike out the dash had a blinking green light, I've been letting it sit and crossing my fingers....

hopefully all will be well, I'm not sure how long I should let it sit.. haha.
I wonder where I can charge my batteries from at work...

pinkyracer

• View Profile
    • I write about electric motorcycles...
Re: Anyone taken their bikes (FX) into water?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 11:31:31 PM »

HOW ARE YOU RIDING YOUR FX?!?!?
 :o >:( :'(
They've been holding my batteries hostage since June 30th. Because they recalled ALL batteries for FX & XU's. Because the factory put them together too quickly, causing cracks, which could enable water to get in, which could cause them to explode. Explain to me how you got your new batteries already??? I've lost over $1,000 between making payments on a bike I haven't been able to ride for TWO MONTHS (except the one weekend I borrowed some batteries from Gabe) and the $$$ I've had to spend on gas on my 20mpg gas guzzling R1.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 11:47:37 PM »

Because the factory put them together too quickly, causing cracks, which could enable water to get in

if you haven't got fixed batteries maybe the cracks help to let the water out yet ;D

I would like to see a photo of the situation, I had something like this several years ago on an ICE bike. It looked like a puddle but it was from a huge tractor caved in to its axle :o

Hope your bike will be fine when dried!
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

TargeT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 01:12:11 AM »

HOW ARE YOU RIDING YOUR FX?!?!?
 :o >:( :'(
They've been holding my batteries hostage since June 30th. Because they recalled ALL batteries for FX & XU's. Because the factory put them together too quickly, causing cracks, which could enable water to get in, which could cause them to explode. Explain to me how you got your new batteries already??? I've lost over $1,000 between making payments on a bike I haven't been able to ride for TWO MONTHS (except the one weekend I borrowed some batteries from Gabe) and the $$$ I've had to spend on gas on my 20mpg gas guzzling R1.

I live in the virgin islands, I park my bike out side & don't ride it (well, very often, i couldn't resist last weekend) since there's no dealers here there's no battery taking possible :)

pinkyracer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:18:17 AM »

they were going to people's HOMES and taking their batteries. Seriously. Water + leaky Lithium battery= explosion. Best keep that bike parked away from anything you care about. If it burns your house down, your insurance might not cover you since you had a recall notice.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 01:29:13 AM »

Just like salt doesn't explode in water (it has Sodium in it!), lithium-ion batteries don't explode like elemental lithium in contact with water. Water's not good for them for a number of other reasons, of course.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 05:44:23 AM »

Water + leaky Lithium battery= explosion.

Huh? Guess this is why all the 787s are falling out of the sky.   ::)

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 05:45:48 AM »

they were going to people's HOMES and taking their batteries. Seriously.

Seriously. Nobody takes anything from me that I don't want them to take unless they have a warrant. Shade melodramatic, don't you think?

TargeT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 09:11:53 PM »

Bike works fine.. I'll have to sync my phone to it (assuming it works, I have that in a bag of rice in the fridge still) to see if there's any errors.

I did see a brief flicker of the warning triangle when I charged it lastnight.

pinkyracer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:55:30 AM »

Just like salt doesn't explode in water (it has Sodium in it!), lithium-ion batteries don't explode like elemental lithium in contact with water. Water's not good for them for a number of other reasons, of course.

so then why were they acting like it was going to self-destruct if it got wet??? I was told it could explode. I explained that I live in LA and promise not to wash the bike until I get new batteries. But noooo, that wasn't good enough. Yeah, I got some free stuff, but I'd rather have my money back for the ~$400 I've spent on gas the past 2 months and the $822 I spent on 2 payments for a bike I COULD NOT RIDE. But if there was really no risk of an actual explosion, then why would they bother taking everyone's batteries?

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 03:30:35 PM »

and the $822 I spent on 2 payments for a bike I COULD NOT RIDE.

You are just working yourself up for nothing thinking of it like that. You still own the bike at the end of the payments, If you were renting the bike for $411 a month that would obviously be an issue.

I was without my bike for a month becaue of shipping damage and I obviously wasn't happy but there is no point in getting angry about it.  Just think how much more you will appreciate the FX when its back having ridden a dirty old ICE for a couple of months!
Pages: [1]