• May 06, 2024, 11:38:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How far does it go?  (Read 392 times)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
How far does it go?
« on: April 16, 2020, 08:20:50 AM »

So I'd never actually tried opening up on a highway and seeing just how far I could go.  My bike is the little battery, and I don't expect much out of it.  No one else seems to have its size 'cept FX and FXS owners, so...

I started at 100%, then went to Santa Cruz to drop off a malfunctioning laptop.  Then I had an afternoon to kill and 90% battery power remaining.  I only consume 15% SoC going home, and I like to have 10% going up my hill, since that last mile is so steep.

I gave myself 30% and just hit the freeway south, to see how far 30% would get me at 70mph.  Unfortunately, they're doing some patching, so the freeway was actually 55mph (not that traffic was limiting itself to 70!) but I kept out from behind people and just went 70 as much as I could until I hit 60% and then turned around at the next exit (Buena Vista, it turned out).  So 60% SoC gets me 28.5 miles on the freeway going about 70mph (and tucked, with my visor to the windscreen).

Pretty gnarly to ride on the freeway!  A heavier bike would be far more stable out there, I'm guessing.  I got almost all the way to the Watsonville/Freedom exit, where my spouse used to work.  Means Monterey Bay Aquarium is just outside of my range, but that's still pretty cool ^-^

-Crissa

PS, I dropped the bike on my leg after getting back; the mirror I'd installed had vibrated loose and then a bicyclist who was smoking rode past where I had just stopped and taken my helmet off so I had a coughing fit and... My glasses went into the storm drain. x-x  No damage, tho, and after I put myself back together I went to the hardwarestore and got some string and a hook so I could fish my glasses out of the drain (they were over six feet down, maybe ten?) and then a passerby gave me a donut.  What a weird day ^-^  This time, tho, no one but pedestrians stopped to help me.  Which was really annoying.

PPS, yes I know I could plot a course that spent less time ont he freeway to get there.  I normally get about 85 miles on a charge, yesterday I did 50.5 and the Aquarium is 51.5.  So it's possible, it would just take a couple hours to get there.  And back.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:21:49 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Curt

• View Profile
Re: How far does it go?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 02:18:18 PM »

Not bad, extrapolates to 48 miles for 100% charge. Rather than spending less time on the freeway, which is not really an option between Santa Cruz and Monterey anyway, you could hang in the right lane at 50 MPH and get there in 1:15.

But you'd have to get a full charge while in the Aquarium. Do you have a Power Tank?

Today I did a 61-mile round trip on the FX for a mission in Hayward, keeping 40 MPH or less. The trip took 2 hours moving time and 11% remained upon return. Crossing the Dumbarton took 10% of the charge, and a 4 mile stretch of freeway at 50 MPH took another 10%. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7463575 I normally enjoy snuffing people at every stop light, but not this time, and it was in ECO mode. :) Amazing riding all those empty roads at 5 pm on a weekday.

Cheers,
Curt

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: How far does it go?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 10:36:56 PM »

I think It would be slightly less since below 60 SoC the bike is less efficient miles-to-SoC than above it, but only by a couple percent.

Still, yeah, I could find a slightly slower path.

Reminds me I have a drill to take back to dewalt to get fixed. and they're in Hayward.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]