• May 05, 2024, 08:15:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Screens and efficiency and range  (Read 1643 times)

nigezero

• View Profile
Screens and efficiency and range
« on: October 26, 2015, 05:07:53 AM »

Notwithstanding that we all know that a vetter is the best aerodynamic solution and as Terry has demonstrated, that range can be doubled by using one, I thought you might be interested to know the results of a real world test with small standard screen.

I was recently doing some maintenance and took my small (KTM) screen off my 14 DS for a week or so. I commute 35km each way to work every day through a mixture of roads. Around half of the route is at 80kmh, the remainder in traffic. This week I noticed that I was using around 20% of my capacity to do the trip instead of the normal 15%. I thought I had a technical/battery problem until I remembered that I had no screen - that's the only difference. I've done it in all sorts of weather now and it's pretty consistent.

So, I was quite amazed at what a difference a tiny screen that doesn't look very aerodynamic was making,  but in the real world, it is extending my range by around 5%.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Screens and efficiency and range
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 07:10:10 AM »

I recently added an MRA X-Screen spoiler to my commuter windscreen, and need to measure the effect, but it has certainly made my highway commuting quieter and smoother.

Prior estimates seem to be that the touring windscreen reduces power consumption at speed by 10%. I added the spoiler for comfort, but it might bump that a tiny bit more.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

hippiesparx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:40:08 PM »

Which begs the question, "Why don't Zero do a fairing?"
I've given up trying to turn my S into a tourer and bought a $6000 CFMoto 650TK. Did 600kms over the weekend, behind a fairing and proper windscreen. So comfort, so easy.
Also handling. I thought the reason I was having troubles on corners was because I hadn't ridden a bike for thirty years, until I gave the cheap chinese a few twisties.
OK, Zero do an electric bike that is an awesome town bike in a straight line. Time for them to get their act together and make a proper bike that handles, is aerodynamic and has more than one hour range.
Maybe 2017...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:42:30 PM by hippiesparx »
2014 Zero S 2014 CFMoto 650TK
Fonzarelli Electric Moto dealer

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 03:34:37 PM »

I recently added an MRA X-Screen spoiler to my commuter windscreen, and need to measure the effect, but it has certainly made my highway commuting quieter and smoother.

Prior estimates seem to be that the touring windscreen reduces power consumption at speed by 10%. I added the spoiler for comfort, but it might bump that a tiny bit more.
I you could do a side by side measurement of a set distance that would be great.

I've given up trying to turn my S into a tourer and bought a $6000 CFMoto 650TK. Did 600kms over the weekend, behind a fairing and proper windscreen. So comfort, so easy.
Also handling. I thought the reason I was having troubles on corners was because I hadn't ridden a bike for thirty years, until I gave the cheap chinese a few twisties.
OK, Zero do an electric bike that is an awesome town bike in a straight line. Time for them to get their act together and make a proper bike that handles, is aerodynamic and has more than one hour range.
Maybe 2017...
This is of course speculation but I think the demand is not high enough yet. Zero is still dominating the electric motorcycle niche and most of the customers are either fleets or people who use their bikes in and around large cities.
Don't forget that most users on this forum are emotor enthusiasts who are keen on pushing the envelope.

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 01:40:15 AM »

make a proper bike that handles
You need to get out your manual and read the section on adjusting your front & rear suspension. My SR was a little bit of a pogo stick until I adjusted my sag/preload per the manual's procedure and then set the rebound/compression by experimenting.

It will handle really well if you take the time to set the suspension up to your weight and preferences.

I was rather surprised, as the suspension rebound/compression adjustments ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING as opposed to all the other bikes I've had where a couple clicks is barely noticeable.

It was a vast improvement for about 5 hours work.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 04:42:08 AM »

I agree on the handling bit; mine took a lot of fiddling and adjustment to get right and a decent set of tyres too. Vastly improved ALTHOUGH, I still have some pretty horrible stiction in the forks and I'm still unhappy with my brakes. What I have definitely found is that my riding "stance" makes a huge difference to the way the bike behaves. On a nice day on a  quiet road with my mojo on, like most I ride and position myself a bit more aggressively. More weight over the front, elbows out and use the bike more aggressively and she instantly starts to respond differently. In the right situation, ridden the right way my DS starts to feel like a great machine

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 05:08:29 AM »

I've found those little screens to make a big difference on my 2012 DS range. I have an aftermarket screen that's about the same size as the Zero screen. Early on I rode once or twice without it until I noticed the difference it made in my range. Now I always keep it on. I didn't make any scientific measures, but 10% feels about right.
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »

This came up in the 2016 thread.  I asked a Zero employee if they were going to do a more serious fairing.  He said No, but mid 2016 a better wind screen will come out as an accessory.  Maybe it will be a better looking screen with a small fairing covering what a bullet fairing would cover.

It does not help that the body work around the 'tank' makes the shape of a umbrella for no reason.  He maid it sound like Engineers are busy designing Navy Seal, military and cop bikes.

hippiesparx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »

I agree on the handling bit; mine took a lot of fiddling and adjustment to get right and a decent set of tyres too. Vastly improved ALTHOUGH, I still have some pretty horrible stiction in the forks and I'm still unhappy with my brakes. What I have definitely found is that my riding "stance" makes a huge difference to the way the bike behaves. On a nice day on a  quiet road with my mojo on, like most I ride and position myself a bit more aggressively. More weight over the front, elbows out and use the bike more aggressively and she instantly starts to respond differently. In the right situation, ridden the right way my DS starts to feel like a great machine
+1 to all that. Done the preload, got the good tyres. Gone hard up and down Mt Mee, yes - if you make like a motohero it does corner.
The Chinese kwaka copy just does it out of the box.
I ride the Zero 5 days a week. Nothing beats it on the straight line from Wavell Height to Brendale, return. Nothing beats it in Brisbane metro. I'm thinking of getting rid of the puig screen because it looks ugly. I'm thnking of stripping the beemer chargers off it cos they look ugly. A naked Zero is a beautiful thing.
Weekends, I'm on Stitch, the kwaka copy, cos its comfy, goes around corners and doesn't need to stop for two hours every 100kms.
And it comes with a fairing, windscreen and leg rests ( disguised as winglets )
As I said in the 2016 thread, wake me up when Zero build a tourer.
2014 Zero S 2014 CFMoto 650TK
Fonzarelli Electric Moto dealer
Pages: [1]