• May 04, 2024, 03:11:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Calex / GreenWattPower EVC-116-1300 - FAILED - Purchasing Options?  (Read 1387 times)

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: The Calex / GreenWattPower EVC-116-1300 - FAILED - Purchasing Options?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2020, 07:57:17 PM »

At some point we also found invoicing with a shipment of chargers we received from ZERO from the supplier; $200+/-.
That sounds like something that someone would snap a photo of, mind sharing that photo with us? Or will we have to do something for you first?

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2020, 10:35:34 PM »

Bottom line now is the question of if the charger is actually fried. Will the charger output dc voltage without any control signals? I just want to be sure before shelling out $800+ for a new one.
I have no idea, as I never removed one or even looked at a wiring diagram of that area.

Perhaps somebody else here knows if the charger can run by itself and / or what must be done to activate it.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2020, 11:37:01 PM »

There was a whole investigation into this HUGE MARKUP by the Israel Competition Authority...
...But there's never been one thing published about it?  Only you know the secrets?

The lack of supporting evidence anywhere kinda undermines this argument.  If it existed, wouldn't it be published somewhere?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

PVNRG

• 2021 EGO+ RS 2016 DSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 12:03:41 AM »

So it looks like there is an enable input on the CAN connector. It appears to be enable_not so enabled when low. Not sure if it needs to be pulled low to be low or if is normally low (is there a pull-up resistor on the input). I guess I can measure it...

I'd still appreciate more info from someone more knowledgeable about the functional requirements of this charger.

Connector signals pinout attached.

Thanks!!
Hunter

2021 Energica EGO+ RS

2016 Zero DSR
37k miles August 2020
Consumed 3 sets of tires and 3 belts so far.

PVNRG

• 2021 EGO+ RS 2016 DSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 02:46:34 AM »

I plugged in the AC and there was no voltage on the charge_n enable pin. Checked all pins and there was zero volts on every one.

I'm pretty sure the charger is dead. That must be where the arcing sound was coming from. The sequence of events when it first failed: First I noticed that the breaker was tripped. Unplugged the charger reset breaker. Plugged in the AC cord at the AC outlet and pulled it out immediately when the garage lights dimmed and I heard arcing sound coming from the bike. Tried plugging it again and nothing, no AC current draw. Later tested DC and voltage when plugged in, zero volts. Just checked CAN port pins and all zero volts. All indications point to a fried charger. If anyone else has any knowledge to add, please do.

Thanks!!
Hunter

2021 Energica EGO+ RS

2016 Zero DSR
37k miles August 2020

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 03:28:54 AM »

I plugged in the AC and there was no voltage on the charge_n enable pin. Checked all pins and there was zero volts on every one.

I'm pretty sure the charger is dead. That must be where the arcing sound was coming from. The sequence of events when it first failed: First I noticed that the breaker was tripped. Unplugged the charger reset breaker. Plugged in the AC cord at the AC outlet and pulled it out immediately when the garage lights dimmed and I heard arcing sound coming from the bike. Tried plugging it again and nothing, no AC current draw. Later tested DC and voltage when plugged in, zero volts. Just checked CAN port pins and all zero volts. All indications point to a fried charger. If anyone else has any knowledge to add, please do.

Thanks!!

I agree. That doesn't sound good to me.  :( When my charger died I didn't have any circuit breakers trip, nor did any of my lights dim.  :) All I got was the smell of garlic in my garage and a non-functioning charger.   :'( I also had a small burned hole in the top of the charger and when I tore open the charger box I was rewarded with this view.  :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 03:46:05 AM »

I've heard this story a lot, it sounds like your charger is kaput. If it was bikeside it would show up differently in the MBB/BMS logs. You could always post those if you want to check.

The only other things worth checking are the charge fuses. If it's an FX you have two, one on the bike's left side and one in the harness.  If it's an S/DS model, you have the one 100A fuse, and that almost never blows. The 100A fuse is easy to check, if you key on the bike and can measure pack voltage on the quick charge port, then that fuse is good. The 10A FX fuse you have to take it out of it's capsule and check.

PVNRG

• 2021 EGO+ RS 2016 DSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 07:52:00 AM »

Thanks!!

I agree. That doesn't sound good to me.  :( When my charger died I didn't have any circuit breakers trip, nor did any of my lights dim.  :) All I got was the smell of garlic in my garage and a non-functioning charger.   :'( I also had a small burned hole in the top of the charger and when I tore open the charger box I was rewarded with this view.  :o

Wow!! I thought the entire inside was potted... Maybe I will try to crack open the cover to see inside.
Hunter

2021 Energica EGO+ RS

2016 Zero DSR
37k miles August 2020

PVNRG

• 2021 EGO+ RS 2016 DSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 08:14:17 AM »

So I took the cover off and it smells like burned electronics. The charger is completely potted so I can't see anything though. Photo attached.
Hunter

2021 Energica EGO+ RS

2016 Zero DSR
37k miles August 2020

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 08:18:02 PM »

So I took the cover off and it smells like burned electronics. The charger is completely potted so I can't see anything though. Photo attached.

I spent an hour chipping and peeling away as much of the potting material as I could to get to the location of the damage.  Not an easy job. But you can sure see why the charger might overheat after many hours of charging. That potting material looks to be a good heat insulator.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 [2]