• May 19, 2024, 07:28:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Call me Worthless and Weak but....  (Read 1601 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Call me Worthless and Weak but....
« on: January 10, 2024, 01:13:42 AM »

Ok, so I need to jack the bike up to do chain maintenance, tire maintenance, whatever.
A.  The bitch is heavy, it's a hell of a heft to try to lift it with one of the paddock stands.
I got the Enerciga one and it's woefully incapable.  You'd have to be hercules to lift it with that thing, there is no torque on it, and Id have to weld a huge ass bar to it to get the leverage.
B.  The bike needs to be straight up and down, it don't normally stand this way w/o help, and if you do manage to prop it so it's straight, it's very wanting to tip this way or that way.  This means you need to really be holding it upright while the ass end is being jacked up.  That takes 2 people, I do not have a clone.
C.  If you do manage to get the leverage to start lifting the bike, I just see the slightest lean this way or that and it's over on it's side.  What happens if you try to lift it and it's not already straight and level?

D. basically it appears you need 2 people to do this safely and I am only 1 person.

I would like some sort of hydraulic jack or paddock stand that can be operated by one person, while you are holding the bike upright, it lifts the bike off the ground and secures it.

I looked at bike jacks, and they seem like they are wanting to lift from the underbelly area somehow.

or maybe some other idea I have not thought of here.  Something that can lift the rear tire (or front) that can be operated by one person who is not especially strong anymore due to my spine being half metal.   Even if the existing, I put a long ass handle on it so I could heft on it, I still see that initial lift off the ground, as the bike is leveling itself, if it's not perfect, it just wants to tip right over w/o someone holding the bike steady.

any ideas?

Thanks
Aaron

Pard

• View Profile
Re: Call me Worthless and Weak but....
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 01:19:42 AM »

This is how I do it, and I am 140 pounds soaking wet...

Get a proper front chock. Not a cheap unit. It will stabilize it securely.  This is the key to doing it safely, by yourself.

https://baxleycompanies.com/products/sport-chock?variant=39329523663022

Drive the bike, while seated on it, ( don't walk it on.  Ride it on and off.  We have reverse !)  into the chock and only then, use the rear stand. 

Once in the front Chock, the bike is going nowhere.  You would have to try really hard to tip it over.

Get a heavy duty pitbull stand and spools for the swingarm.  Pitbull is the best out there.  Very stable and heavy duty.  Will last a lifetime.  Does not flex even under the Energica's weight.

Get the extra long handle that detaches from the stand.  Plenty of leverage and stable.

https://www.pit-bull.com/energica

https://www.pit-bull.com/energica/ss-rear-motorcycle-stand-f0028-000

If you use a rear stand without a front chock, you can possibly drop the bike.  With it, never.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 02:13:56 AM by Pard »

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 02:17:05 AM »

Front first then rear, I have a Bursig lift that I'm trying to mate to the Ribelle.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 02:23:55 AM »

Thank you both.
Pard, I have one of those stands I use to hold the bike when I have to trailer it.
Only problem, which I learned, it slides, so trying to get the bike to reverse out of it, it didn't want to climb up and flip the thing back over and somehow the front end ended up sliding a bit sideways, the front of the bike cocked, and I ended up calling a friend to help me get the half sideways , tipped over bike out of the trailer.  The floor in the trailer was wood and it was probably not as clean as it should have been, lesson learned.

Ill have to try that chock on concrete and see how well it holds her upright then try to hump the rear end up again.

Im getting a pit bull stand to hold it in my new trailer for when I goto the track with it.  I might order a rear paddock if they have some with extra long handles on them.

thanks again
Aaron

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 03:27:36 AM »

Front first then rear, I have a Bursig lift that I'm trying to mate to the Ribelle.

Respectfully disagree. 

Front stands should never be used first, or alone.  Always rear stand before front stand for stability.

Front chock is different.  It provides stability.

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 04:28:37 AM »

I have no problems with the Energica rear stand, ok, it's a bit narrow. Trick is to go behind the bike on the right rear side. Place the left support under the left bobbin and with the right hand guide the right support towards the right bobbin (the stand is a bit narrow as mentioned), and simultaneously press the stand down with left hand raising the bike. As soon as both bobbins are in the slots press the stand further down with left hand. That works for me.
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 04:59:16 AM »

I have no problems with the Energica rear stand, ok, it's a bit narrow. Trick is to go behind the bike on the right rear side. Place the left support under the left bobbin and with the right hand guide the right support towards the right bobbin (the stand is a bit narrow as mentioned), and simultaneously press the stand down with left hand raising the bike. As soon as both bobbins are in the slots press the stand further down with left hand. That works for me.

This ^^.

I use the same method but from the left side of the bike...works fine. Also have the front stand for when removing both wheels to change tyres etc..I never use the front stand first....not safe to do so and would be very unstable.....Rear stand first....always.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 01:38:53 AM by smithy »
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Grauteufel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 08:24:22 AM »

Any reason one of these wouldnt work?

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 01:22:11 PM »

Would not work, bc there is no sufficient surface underneath the bike where you could lift it up.

@Aaron:
The Pit Bull one-handed rear stand could really the best option for you. A big plus is that you don't need so much space behind the bike.
See the pic attached or the video on YT:

For Europeans there is the German company Kern-Stabi who are manufacturing similar stuff like Pit Bull. I can really recommend this - safely putting the bike on a rear stand without help.
https://shop.montagestaender.de/motorrad-produkte/kern-stabi-motorradheber-einzeln/montagestaender-mono-zentral-heck.html?listtype=search&searchparam=2038
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 01:25:16 PM by jotjotde »

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 04:11:30 PM »

Thank you both.
Pard, I have one of those stands I use to hold the bike when I have to trailer it.
Only problem, which I learned, it slides, so trying to get the bike to reverse out of it, it didn't want to climb up and flip the thing back over and somehow the front end ended up sliding a bit sideways, the front of the bike cocked, and I ended up calling a friend to help me get the half sideways , tipped over bike out of the trailer.  The floor in the trailer was wood and it was probably not as clean as it should have been, lesson learned.

Ill have to try that chock on concrete and see how well it holds her upright then try to hump the rear end up again.

Im getting a pit bull stand to hold it in my new trailer for when I goto the track with it.  I might order a rear paddock if they have some with extra long handles on them.

thanks again
Aaron

Indeed, a chock can slide on a smooth surface if you mount or dismount it too quickly. 

Creep into it while seated and riding the Energica, and even on a smooth surface it wont slide because the weight on the bike is pinning it to the surface. 

Very slow and smooth works for me when I have the chock on a wooden surface.

On a rough/textured surface a good chock will not move even if you are more agressive .

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 08:06:21 PM »

There was probably some silt or dirt on the woood making it even more slippery and it slid on me.  I am thinking of putting down some nonskid strips so that nothing goes anywhere.  To be honest though, with the new trailer I am building out for the bikes, it will have a ramp and the pit bulls in it and hopefully no problems.

I recently got a great deal on a used 14 x 8 trailer with a tool box in it, a big husky box, which I may nor may not use, but anyways. I am putting probably 40 or so KW of batteries in  it, and 20 to 30 kw of inverters in it and my fast charger.  Then when I am out on the track running the bikes, I can just plug and fast charge between sessions.   Also, it can act as an emergency backup for the house too, or just more storage for the longer periods of rain that florida gets.  Back to the bike though, Ill probably be alone most the times on the track, my buddy doesn't like the idea of track days, so screw him :) but Ill need to figure this out here.  I think with the front chock idea I should be able to do this.

Problem is, I had a front chock earlier, but it was on the slippery surface and the bike could not get out of it with energica's reverse, it didn't have the oomph to climb up enough to flip the holder back, and when I tried to back into it with a bit of movement already the whole bitch slid and well, that was all it took, it slid sideways a bit and twisted, the front wheel turned and down we all went, inside a trailer.  Now that I am a bit smarter and more experienced handling bikes, I am going to give it another shot and see if we can do this the right way.

Right now my biggest concern is I can kind of prop the bike standing straight up, but it's teetery, and I just envision as I am trying to lift it with the paddock, it tips this way or that, probably the side AWAY from the kick stand and down we go... again. since I will be in the back jumping up and down on the paddock trying to get the leverage to lift it, and not standing aside it holding the bike steady.  we'll see..

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 01:11:39 AM »

Not on the Experia.....there's no "flat bottom" section under the battery, just a plastic belly pan.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2024, 01:25:11 AM »

Well I got the bike up on the stand today and figured out why i had such an issue before.  The reverse does not have enough torque to lift the tire up and over enough to tip the stand holder back out, you have to walk it back and give it a big heft.  Also, as it flips over it also lifts the wheel about 3 inches off the ground, so there is that added height, which put me on my tippy toes riding/walking the bike back out of the stand.  I managed to get it humped over and back on steady ground with a bit of effort.  Ill wear my track boots to give me the little extra added height to get a little more footage to push and hold the bike when it comes back down.

Yah, I need a new chain, this one has some very tight spots and some loose ones and you can hear it grumbling as it goes around the front sprocket in some spots.  I guess Ill have to wait for that tool to come back into stock to change the sprocket too so I am told.

Aaron

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024, 01:47:21 AM »

I never had a problem with reverse getting me out of the chock.  Even when slightly down hill.

Can you post a pic of the bike in the chock?

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2024, 01:51:38 AM »

yah let me put it back up.  its the getting the rear holder to flip back over from being up on the tire in the back to being on the ground to let the tire back out.  it has to lift the tire about 3 inches and the bike just dont have the oomph to push the back end hard enough to flip it back over without me helping

aaron
Pages: [1] 2 3