• May 11, 2024, 10:43:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charging wars  (Read 702 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Charging wars
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:13:10 PM »

According to an article published in my newspaper yesterday written by Dana Hull of mercurynews.com, Silicon Valley workers who own EV's are fighting with each other over work place charging stations.  In particular the German software company SAP had installed 16 EV charging stations at their Palo Alto campus in 2010.  At that time only a few of their workers owned electric vehicles.  Now there are 61 EV owners and they are all fighting over the 16 charging stations.  These disagreements include pointed emails to owners who's cars have completed charging asking them to move so someone else can charge there.  Other workers are pulling the plug on cars that seem to have already recharged.  Actions like this have been given the name "charge rage".

SAP is now drafting charging guidelines for its EV-driving employees.  SAP's Chief Sustainability Officer, Peter Graf,  says that "If you want to attract the best people and top talent, EV charging is a must-have.  It's a recruitment tool".  ChargePoint believes that there should be at least one charging station for every two EV owning employees.  CEO Pat Romano is quoted as saying that "If you don't maintain a 2-to-1 ratio, you are dead. Having two chargers and 20 electric cars is worse than having no chargers and 20 electric cars.  If you are gong to do this, you have to be willing to continue to scale it."

The article goes on to mention that Yahoo has more than 100 EV owners and they fight over the limited number of chargers regularly.  A former Yahoo worker said that he pulled the plug on a Chevy Volt so that he could plug in this BMW Active E - leading to a very upset Volt owner who blasted him with email messages.

Infoblox has 260 employees at its HQ in Santa Clara, of which 27 have plug-in cars, but the company only has 6 charging stations.  To deal with this problem they have created an "EV user" distribution list, as well as a shared calendar for managing charging slots.  Using the company's Outlook system, you can only book a 2-hour window for using a company charging station. "But Rule No. 1 is: No one touches anyone else's car without permission", according to Infoblox's VP of marketing, David Gee (and the owner of a Tesla Model S).  No mater what your employee classification is in the company, everyone has the same rights to use a charging station.  Mr. Gee says: "It's a highly egalitarian community.  Public shaming is the best motivator."
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

bigd

• View Profile
Re: Charging wars
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:02:57 PM »

This is so funny, I did copy it and post it on the tesla sight- hope you good with that  ;)
Honda 1300VTX

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:38:54 AM »

This is so funny, I did copy it and post it on the tesla sight- hope you good with that  ;)

Fine with me. I was only tying to summarize the article in my newspaper, the San Mateo County Times, a publication of the Mercury News, which owns most of the newspapers in the SF Bay Area.  I am surprised that all of the Tesla and Leaf owners in Silicon Valley have not already read this article and are chatting about it.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 02:17:25 AM »

I am so glad that Zero can "sit this out" by having a default standard outlet option. There are enough outlets in our parking garage that I don't see such a thing happening to me for years.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:06:03 AM »

For commuter applications, especially for two wheels, 110v makes a lot of sense. It's cheap to deploy - if not already deployed - and works with lots of things besides EVs.

8 hours of charging on 110v can push out ~ 12 kWh, which is 50 miles of range on a four wheeled vehicle or 100 miles of range on a motorcycle.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 05:07:25 AM »

For many electric cars a 110V electric outlet would be useful, but they need to be located where they are useful.  We are nowhere near having that issue on the East coast, but we're trying to develop that problem as quickly as possible!
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 10:17:42 AM »

One of the great things about motorcycles is that they use less energy.   A standard wall outlet works fine when commuting on a Zero. 

Just one more reason why motorcycles are better than cars.   
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:16:59 PM »

Totally agree. I sure would like to have an electric car but the EV bikes have so many advantages!
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

thelastdeadmouse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 01:07:37 AM »

I'm the only person at my company with an electric car so far, so when my employer agreed to let me charge at work I made sure to set a good president. I purchased the 220v charger, they paid for installation and electricity, so that's my charger.  If someone else gets an electric car and wants to charge here can either ask me to share, or purchase their own.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 01:28:37 AM »

Great to see the charging points are in demand but this is terrible publicity for EV's.  As if it wasnt hard enough convincing people to ditch gas without the possibility of being unable to drive home because you couldn't get a charge at work.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 01:28:49 AM »

When I first started riding, I had issues at some places charging, so I would just ride my bike into the office, up the elevator, drive through the office area and plug it in on the balcony... beauty of an elmoto!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 04:00:23 AM »

When I first started riding, I had issues at some places charging, so I would just ride my bike into the office, up the elevator, drive through the office area and plug it in on the balcony... beauty of an elmoto!

Gutsy!    ;D
Pages: [1]