• May 12, 2024, 05:56:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Skully AR-1 HUD helmet review  (Read 2327 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Skully AR-1 HUD helmet review
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 08:15:01 PM »

I was seriously considering to pre-order one of these. I'm disappointed.

Riding on the nearly vibration-free Zero DSR today I had a thought, would haptic feedback be interesting in the throttle grip?
You can actually do something similar if you have a smartwatch or one of those vibrating fitbits.

I have some notifications for navigation and speed traps and such and the haptic feedback is nice because you don't have to take your eyes of the road.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 09:22:17 PM »

I have watch-triggered haptic turn prompts from GPS. It's great!

Hope Nuviz can at least deliver...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:39:03 PM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 03:35:53 AM »

I just read an article that says that Skully has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which would not result in anyone getting their deposits back.   >:(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 07:24:44 AM »

Riding on the nearly vibration-free Zero DSR today I had a thought, would haptic feedback be interesting in the throttle grip?
Now that's an interesting question. Hmm. I suppose the obvious question back is "To convey what information?". If it vibrated a bit with progressively more strength as you were regenerating... that might make sense. Although I do wonder if it would be redundant from the deceleration being progressively more pronounced. On the other end of things, if you were to vibrate when it was time to shift, that would be interesting... if you needed to shift on a Zero.

I think you're on to something, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for a Zero. On a Brammo I would say "Oh, definitely!" but not on a Zero. Imagine a throttle grip that would vibrate when it's time to shift! That would be awesome.

But I've had 3 gin & tonics at this point. What information would be conveyed for a Zero via haptic feedback in your mind?

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 11:05:40 AM »

I saw one and picked it up.  It was really heavy and the swoopy thing on the back is really big.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 08:11:19 PM »

I saw one and picked it up.  It was really heavy and the swoopy thing on the back is really big.

I get the feeling that Skully had the right idea and was on the right track, they only needed about five more years of development to achieve a great consumer product with a lot of sales potential.  Their problem was making unrealistic promises to their public and private investors and creating a pre-order, with deposit, system based upon those promises. They either had a very poor business plan, or management was just trying to milk everyone out of their cash and then run for the border.    :o

I hope someone else can come along and give the HUD helmet concept another try.  8) But after Skully muddying the waters it is probably going to be tough for anyone to get investor funding for another go at the HUD helmet project for some time.   :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MrDude_1

• View Profile

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 02:09:30 AM »

Just to nearly loop it back to the forum... "...four motorcycles..."

The lawsuit lists the cars by name... Lamborghini, Dodge Viper.

Doesn't give the motorcycles a brand, or even a country of origin.   and it was a motorcycle helmet company.

Came really close to putting in a deposit myself. Then I found too many old links in Gizmodo of such innovations that are not there anymore.
Like Barefoot Motors... (Electric ATV from 2007) is completely gone.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 03:59:58 AM »

Skully Helmets has finally managed to hit the “big time”.  That would be in the business section of the San Francisco Bay Area's most widely distributed newspaper, the Mercury News.  In a long article, written by Marisa Kendall of the Bay Area News Group, published today, titled: “Startup Accused of Misusing Cash” and subtitled: “Lawsuit filed by ex-assistant says founders expensed vacations, sports cars, strip club visit before company ran out of money.”

In particular, the article says that the Skully helmet company is accused of spending its investors' funds on “vacations, sports cars, their San Francisco rents, weekly apartment cleanings, meals out and a strip club”. The former Skully employee says that “the company was a 'sham' and the founders, brothers Marcus and Mitchell Weller, expensed their lavish lifestyles.  When the money ran out last week, the company shut down.”, according to the article. The complaint says that “The Wellers used Skully corporate accounts as their personal piggy banks and demanded that plaintiff conceal the true nature of the expenses by entering them in Skully's books to make it appear that the expenses were legitimate business expenses, which in fact they were clearly not.” The article says that the founders purchased two Dodge Vipers, an Audi R8, limo rides in Florida and a $2,000 charge at a strip club. When the employee, Isabelle Faithhauer, pointed out the error of their ways, she was fired and not compensated for much of her work. 

2,000 crowd-funding backers dumped $2.4 million into the company, along with many hopeful customers who pre-ordered the helmets with a $1,400 deposit.  Skully also raised $11 million last year from various investors, including Intel Capital and Walden Riverwood Ventures. The article says that the customers who ordered the helmets are unlikely to receive their deposits back and no one was promised a refund on the Indiegogo crowd-funding system. Skully's last CEO was Martin Fichter, who promised that Skully would deliver 400 helmets to customers by the end of July, with the remaining pre-orders shipping throughout the summer. “Less than a month later, Skully called it quits, announced the company plans to file for bankruptcy, and apologized to customers, employees and partners.” 

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 02:55:21 PM »

I hope someone else can come along and give the HUD helmet concept another try.  8) But after Skully muddying the waters it is probably going to be tough for anyone to get investor funding for another go at the HUD helmet project for some time.   :(
BMW presented something similar on the last CES:

But I've had 3 gin & tonics at this point. What information would be conveyed for a Zero via haptic feedback in your mind?
Stuff from your phone or GPS, I navigate purely on audio but sometimes I miss a street or something, having my smartwatch vibrate to let me know that I have to take the next right is really useful.

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »

Stuff from your phone or GPS, I navigate purely on audio but sometimes I miss a street or something, having my smartwatch vibrate to let me know that I have to take the next right is really useful.
I like this idea. A haptic pulse in the appropriate handlebar that would increase in frequency as you got closer to the turn. Make it go steady buzz right as you get to the turn, then still as you're actually making the turn.

Doug S

• View Profile
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 12:58:47 AM »

...A haptic pulse in the appropriate handlebar that would increase in frequency as you got closer to the turn. Make it go steady buzz right as you get to the turn...
Haptic feedback can also be featured in the pillion seat for uh, the complete vibrating engine experience.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 08:59:13 PM »

And if it won't work for motorcycle helmets, maybe it will for bicycle helmets.  ??? (Anyway, those guys spend a lot more money on their equipment than motorcycle riders. So they can afford this kind of stuff, right?  ;)  )

http://boingboing.net/2016/10/06/augmented-reality-bike-helmet.html
Pages: 1 [2]