• May 20, 2024, 04:08:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Putting a few miles on the Empulse  (Read 1035 times)

s44captain

• View Profile
Putting a few miles on the Empulse
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:22:00 AM »

I got to put a few miles on a Empulse the other day and really enjoyed it! Lucky for my wallet that they didn't have one they could sell me that day. The power felt right between my Zero and Buell XB12. The handling felt really solid and suspension was better than my Zero. The instrumentation I liked more than my Zero. The chain was quieter than I expected but I like the belts on my Buell and Zero more than a chain. We have a lot of J17 charging stations so the level 2 charging is really nice but I did miss the ability to just plug in to a wall socket, the bike comes with a converter but you have to back pack it with you. The transmission feels like it is geared tall, I'd like to drop the countershaft sprocket a tooth or 2 for even more acceleration. The regen comes on very strong and had the feeling of taking up slack in the chain and transmission if you roll off the throttle too quickly. On my Zero I get some regen by just touching the front brake before the brakes start. I like that method more than reverse throttle control. I personally like the looks of the Empulse way more than my Zero with its fake radiator shrouds. I was not keen on how much more the Empulse weighs although it was not noticeable around town. I am not sure who designed the ergos but at 5'9" the Empulse felt like it was built for me. The Brammo dealer is 200 miles from me and my Zero Dealer is just 12.  I have not yet ridden a 2013 Zero S but as of right now the Empulse was the most enjoyable ride of the year including ICE bikes for me.
Current Bikes: 2012 Zero 6S & Buell XB12
Former Bikes: 2009 Brammo & Matchless G85CS

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Putting a few miles on the Empulse
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 09:53:23 PM »

I wouldn't trust anyone's comments who used to ride a Matchless G85CS.  If you can ride and maintain one of those things, everything else is going to seem like a flying carpet.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

s44captain

• View Profile
Re: Putting a few miles on the Empulse
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 02:49:25 AM »

Richard, my Matchless was a lot less work than the Royal Enfield or BSA 441 I had. I think that Matchless is the only British bike I had that I shouldn't have sold. I sure do like the lack of Maintence on my Zero! I just about doubled my money when I sold the Matchless, it looks like the opposite will happen when I sell the Zero...
Current Bikes: 2012 Zero 6S & Buell XB12
Former Bikes: 2009 Brammo & Matchless G85CS
Pages: [1]