• May 09, 2024, 02:35:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hell For Leather reviews the Empulse R  (Read 1813 times)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Hell For Leather reviews the Empulse R
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »

Pretty favorable review. I guess we'll be seeing bikes ship very soon.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/08/brammo-empulse-the-electric-motorcycle-has-finally-arrived/
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Hell For Leather reviews the Empulse R
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:02:21 PM »

After reading that review, I am convinced that the Zero S is really the better bike for me (assuming the reliability issues get resolved).  I don't do canyon racing. I just use my Zero for local chores, such as grocery shopping, doctor visits, visiting my family, going shopping, riding to hiking spots and hauling stuff around.  I used to use my IC motorcycles for these chores but now I am using my Zero S instead.  I don't need a gear box, I don't need great handling, I don't need to carry a passenger and I don't need to cool my motor or batteries. I just need to keep up with automobile traffic and to be able to carry a lot of stuff.  This I can do on my Zero with a seat pack, saddle bags and a backpack.  The slight additional range provided by the Empulse would be nice, but it is not enough to make a difference in my riding.  Finally, the Zero continues to be available for sale and the Empulse continues to be available for sale sometime in the future.   :(

The other issue is that Empulse retail dealers seem to be few and far between right now.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

flar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »

After reading that review, I am convinced that the Zero S is really the better bike for me (assuming the reliability issues get resolved).  I don't do canyon racing. I just use my Zero for local chores, such as grocery shopping, doctor visits, visiting my family, going shopping, riding to hiking spots and hauling stuff around.  I used to use my IC motorcycles for these chores but now I am using my Zero S instead.  I don't need a gear box, I don't need great handling, I don't need to carry a passenger and I don't need to cool my motor or batteries. I just need to keep up with automobile traffic and to be able to carry a lot of stuff.  This I can do on my Zero with a seat pack, saddle bags and a backpack.  The slight additional range provided by the Empulse would be nice, but it is not enough to make a difference in my riding.  Finally, the Zero continues to be available for sale and the Empulse continues to be available for sale sometime in the future.   :(

The other issue is that Empulse retail dealers seem to be few and far between right now.   ???

As Arlo sez - "I just need to ride on my motorsickle"... ;)
Currently riding: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Used to ride: '88 Hawk GT, '97 BMW F650 Funduro
Other electric motorcycles test ridden: 2012 Zero S/DS, Brammo Empulse R, 2013 Zero S, Energica Ego/Eva
Other EV own: Tesla Model X
Other EV test drives: Tesla Roadster/S/3

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »

Here he goes again....
Wes is yOur old fashinoed sports bike rider. The Zero never occupied that space. Brammo does.

He simply is biased and lets just take it for what it is worth.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:02:24 PM »

I would also like to point out that in his previous review of the Zero DS Wes was provided a bike to test with no factory or dealer support and no particular riding agenda.  He just rode it around randomly (like an owner might do) without really knowing its performance envelope until it just died when the batteries became discharged. With the Brammo Empulse R review, he was riding with their employees in a group ride to a destination that Brammo knew they would make without a problem. Plus, the destination was at a location where Brammo had installed a charging station where the bikes could be recharged for the ride back to the factory.  While he raved about the handling of the 470 pound Empulse, I can't recall his article on the 340 pound Zero complaining about its handling. Plus, he also expounded upon the Empulse's mass centralization, but my observation is that the Zero has even better dense packaging of its battery pack in its chassis. I base this observation on the ability to raise my Zero S using a lifting stand under the center of the "skid plate" with both wheels coming off the ground and no tilting to the front or rear.

I have no doubt that the much heavier Empulse, with its better suspension and road racing development program will handle better and be more stable than the Zero at high speeds on fast highway roads, but I imagine that the Zero models will handle better and easier in town and around tight slow-speed corners. The lighter weight of the Zero will be an advantage to many riders, especially ones with less experience with heavy IC motorcycles.  Then there is the fact that the Empulse R costs $5000 more than the ZF9 Zero S and is currently being mass-produced and readily available to consumers.

I suspect that if both bikes had been ridden together along the same route and over the same distance, the Empulse R would still have been determined to be the better bike, what with its higher top speed, greater range and higher specification, but I don't think the Zero would have been trashed in the Hell for Leather's the write-up the way it was.  And if Wes had ridden the Zero S around the Santa Cruz Mountains, while accompanied by a couple of Zero employees to a nice restaurant for lunch at a location that they were sure that the bike would reach before running out of power, his review of the 2012 Zero would have been much different and likely more positive.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 05:27:30 AM »

my S1000RR sits right next to my MY12 9DS.  I can push either out of the garage every morning to go to the airport (22 miles) and I struggle to ride the RR once a month.  The decision is based on a combination of factors but, as far as I am concerned, the Zero is real and has utility.  I would not take it to a track day but then I do not do many of those these days.

Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

jazclrint

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:26:16 AM »

I too am trying to figure out the gulf between Wes's opinion of the Zero and the Brammo.  One reason I was waiting for main stream media reviews.  However, I am beginning to fear many of the mainstream writers, accept for Alan Cathcart, don't have any kind of clue about the electric motorcycles they ride, and hence cannot give a proper opinion.  But, the real litmus test will be if Brammo gives Jensen an Empulse to ride.

As far as Wes getting flown to to Oregon, ridden with Brammo employees, and taken to lunch where they have had a charger installed.  I feel that is Zero's mistake, and not Brammo playing unfair.  Brammo just did what any other major motorcycle manufacturer does.  I do not feel it's fair to fault them for that.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »

I didn't mean to fault Brammo for doing that, however I do believe that journalists do become biased when receiving that type of treatment, compared with being given a test bike by a retail dealer and sent on their way with little knowledge of what to expect during their ride.  A responsible journalist should be able to set that sort of treatment aside, but then they probably wouldn't be human.   ::)   I agree that Zero should have buttered up Wes much better than they did when giving him a bike to test and should certainly have had someone riding with him to deal with lunches, provide information about the new bike, know where it could be recharged along the ride route and know where all the construction porta-potties were located along the LA freeways.   ;)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 09:37:08 PM »

Hell for Leather lists 13 new motorcycle models that will make 2013 "awesome" and the Brammo Empulse R is listed as number 13. Here is what HFL has to say:

"Finally on-sale, the Empulse is the bike that’s really going to put electric motorcycles on the map. That’s because it’s not just some poor excuse for a motorcycle that happens to be powered by an electric drill, it’s a badass performance bike that’ll out-handle pretty much anything out there. Seriously, it’s one of the most confidence inspiring, characterful, fun experiences on two wheels and that it just so happens not to be super loud or emit pollutants ends up being added value. Straight-line performance is only on par with a middleweight twin like a Ninja 650, but so good in corners you just won’t care. Believe the hype on this one."

Here is a link to the entire article (beware of gas fumes): http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/12/13-bikes-that-will-make-2013-awesome/
Pages: [1]