• May 05, 2024, 05:46:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: harley is out  (Read 1999 times)

Apriliarsv

• View Profile

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: harley is out
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 08:00:27 PM »

That didn't take long.  Somebody aint going to be happy soon.  Be careful who you get in bed with, just good life advise.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 08:37:00 PM »

Just as I predicted, only it happened much quicker than I would have imagined.

H-D has been buying (relatively) small motorcycle and trike companies over and over again for the past 50 years and always dumps them not long after. I bet this has happened at least a dozen times since the early 1960's. Every time they make a purchase like that they suffer a financial loss when they resell the company, or just close it down for no understandable reason. I have no idea who is making the business decisions at H-D or why they buy and dump small companies.

But it is likely a good thing for Alta that H-D plans to abandon Alta as if they kept their investment in the company long enough, they would surely have run it into the ground, assuming that they had a business influence over Alta, which they probably did. 

And I certainly hope that H-D didn't invest in the company just to snatch their technology and some of their employees before disappearing into the sunset.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Apriliarsv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 02:37:40 AM »

I agree, even I was expecting it to last longer than this.

It will be interesting to find out what really happened.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 03:22:06 AM »

It will be interesting to find out what really happened.

Even more interesting to see what finally shakes out. Did Harley just abandon the electric bike market or decide they need to really get in and develop the full set of technology in-house? We know their sales are falling fast and they're flailing for anything to turn things around.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 03:23:52 AM »

I think this is about a combination of cultural and political infighting, and a generally convenient ability to screw over acquired companies.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]