• May 15, 2024, 03:47:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: LW charging with a portable DC charger question  (Read 1912 times)

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: LW charging with a portable DC charger question
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »

Already did. They're still trash. Edwin and Alan tried as well on June 12.

edit- and I'm generally too lazy to leave a rating on check-ins. I don't think I've ever actually done that.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 10:02:54 PM »

I'd say I get stations started on the first try over 80% of the time, assuming the stations are in working order.
With the exception of the HD ChargePoints (100% work on the first try), I would be lucky to get 20%. And that is with EV-G0, Ev-Connect, Charge-Point, Electrify America  & GreenLots CCS stations. Electrify America is the worse of them all. I don't think I ever got one to work on the first try & I feel lucky if I can get it to work on the 5th try. But some locationss work better than others. For an example, the Wal*Mart in Fernley, NV always works on the 2nd try (never the first try). The one at the Wal*Mart in Elk Grove almost never works for me, but cars are okay with it. Last time I tried to use it I gave up and went to the next place I could charge.

Do you get them to work 80% across all brands?  Don't count the HD CCS stations as they always work on the first try. At least for me.

-Don-  Reno, NV

The strategy that works for me is (1) get the seat open and get the cable staged for plug in, cable weight supported by handlebar, (2) activate the station.  do not plug in first regardless of what the station says.  (3) as soon as the station is activated, plug in, and push firmly through the handshake phase.  it's important that the plug be fully inserted and square.

If you follow the station's instructions before trying other sequences, that may be your problem.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 12:53:05 AM »

do not plug in first regardless of what the station says.
If you follow the station's instructions before trying other sequences, that may be your problem.
I discovered that to be true with Electrify America chargers.

I think I know why, but it is only a guess.

My theory (guess) is that the Energica's (I cannot speak for the LW, but I do realize this is the LW section) fast charge negotiation times out too fast when once connected and it takes time for the charger to actually start charging.  Perhaps not enough time for it to start before the timeout.  But if the charger is started in advance, it buys time. It's then more "ready" before you connect to start the initiation  process.

I have also wondered why they tell anybody to plug in first. Perhaps just safety considerations? I assume it is never necessary to plug in first on any vehicle,  yet every CCS machine says to do such.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 01:40:20 AM »

It just makes sense to plug the cables before telling it to feed?

It shouldn't be a timing issue, and yet...

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 03:36:37 AM »

It just makes sense to plug the cables before telling it to feed?

It shouldn't be a timing issue, and yet...

-Crissa
But not so much with EVs as they have no charging voltage until connected (not counting some of my weird unconventional set-ups, of course).

Perhaps they are worried about Murphy's Law?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2021, 03:13:53 PM »

http://tesla.o.auroraobjects.eu/Design_Guide_Combined_Charging_System_V3_1_1.pdf

The above documentation is the CharIN CCS protocol standard. It lays out the specifications all CCS chargers and vehicles should conform to.
It's a big technical file but skip to pages 30-34 where they show the required steps for a successful charge session. Then hop over to page 54 where the timings of each step are listed.

A charger that immediately start the communication process with a vehicle when it is plugged in not the best solution. Specifically because the charge station can not complete that communication exchange until after the customer has interacted with the service provider. This delay can cause vehicles that adhere to the specifications of the standard to timeout. It would make much more sense to initiate the pilot signal that starts the communication process after the customer has tapped that button in their app.

Regarding the OP's question
A Riddle:
I have access to a Setec 10 kW 500 volt charger DC charger. It plugs into a standard 50 amp 240v outlet. It charges an Energica at about 6 kw (Energica uses a 300v system, so 6 kW makes sense).

Tried this charger on a LW. No go. The handshake part seems to go OK, but the charge doesn't start. The charger's LED screen says "charge fault".
Any thoughts?

I have used the same Setec unit to charge many Energica, it always seems to work. However the process to start the charge is different than any other DC station I have used. You plug it in and nothing happens on the bike till you click the start icon on the DC chargers screen. Once you do that the bike wakes up, initializes the charge process, locks the connector and then starts providing power.

There might be something about this process that the Harley does not like. I would reach out to Setec to see if there might be a firmware update available to fix things.

Pages: 1 [2]