• May 16, 2024, 04:40:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: CES video & sound  (Read 2027 times)

E-Luke

• View Profile
CES video & sound
« on: January 11, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »

So, had the (erhmm) pleasure of sitting on the Livewire today, kicking it over, and hearing the sound.
Initial thoughts:
- well prepped and fitted. Looks nice.
- seat crazy hard. Not comfortable. Riding position is slightly forward leaning.
- has a liquid cooled motor... more complexity without any real need for it - IMO.
- the Harley “sound” programmed in is annoyed and just sounds like a loud whirring belt. Don’t like it.
- the batteries have passive cooling through spaces cells... I think aluminum fins. There are air intakes on the side of the “tank”, above the radiator.
- underneath the seat is where the charge cable sits. The guy showing it to me told me that was a benefits as my zero doesn’t have space for it.... I quickly corrected him;) There’s also no “tank” storage.
- LED lights, cornering abs and some nice electronic goodies.
- level 1 and 2 charging are the same rate... in my opinion this is their biggest misstep. They’re focused on DC charging, which is fine, but there are so few of them that it’s less appealing.
- range is 110 in mixed riding... meh...

Great start, and a great initiative for the company. I’m fully behind their move, and want other electric bikes to work well, but I truly fail to see how this can compte with zero or the other established companies. Perhaps their looks will win out, but with their fundamentals so “light on”, I can’t see how it warrants the 40% premium over an SR.

E-Luke

• View Profile
Re: CES video & sound
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:24:18 AM »

Well that was a waste — can’t attach the video, and not sophisticated enough to know how to compress it!!

Will send some pics.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:51:58 PM »

So, had the (erhmm) pleasure of sitting on the Livewire today, kicking it over, and hearing the sound.

Was it easy to pick back up?   ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 09:50:02 PM »

I hope the ccs rate of charge is the same as Energica.  Twice as big would be nice.

E-Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 04:24:43 AM »

80% in 40 minutes from what he said — and that’s with 110 range

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 04:26:11 AM »

The fit and finish are impressive from the photos; the 2014 model had similar but rearranged amounts of ~plastic and styling.

I like that the battery has inbuilt cooling affordances. Keeping such a battery warm isn't too difficult using a wrap, but cooling is something the manufacturer has to provide.

The L2 charging inadequacy is confusing; I suspect they may offer 3kW L2 charging as an upgrade later.

It lacks storage, but also lacks rail support typically meant for motorcycle saddlebags. I don't understand how HD models work in this regard, so maybe there's an obvious solution pattern.

There's room for a passenger, but they have nothing to hold onto but the rider, which is a little concerning with a twist acceleration of 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 07:53:15 AM »

... I truly fail to see how this can compte with zero or the other established companies.

It won't. They don't expect buyers to actually Ride them.
Screencapture from HD promotional video showing Livewire app. Note riding history for this coming summer.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 07:54:34 PM »

But do they expect for people to actually buy them?  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 02:24:25 AM »

80% in 40 minutes from what he said — and that’s with 110 range

110 miles mixed range is roughly same as my Dsr, so not bad since it has L3 charging. I prefer L3 over L2 because Electrify America are installing L3 at Wal-Mart's and you don't need a membership. Just need credit/debit card just like a gas station, which is the way it needs to be. L2 network is a mess imo.

chrisho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 06:10:40 PM »

"Influencers" will buy them or be given them.  Oh I expect Harley will sell quite a few to the Hollywood but in the end not once people understand how limited the bike is.

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 04:51:39 AM »

Range won't really matter since so many Harley bar-hoppers get very little use.

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 07:19:05 AM »

Prediction: collectors will grab the first generation, regardless of the price.  HD will sell as many as they build.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:23:10 AM by heroto »

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 12:33:04 AM »

"Influencers" will buy them or be given them.  Oh I expect Harley will sell quite a few to the Hollywood but in the end not once people understand how limited the bike is.

Diego?

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: [1]