• May 10, 2024, 04:18:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Should there be a separate section for the SR/F?  (Read 66315 times)

Woodloper

• Gas is a thing of the past...
    • View Profile
Re: Should there be a separate section for the SR/F?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 03:09:34 AM »

FWIW I'm debating how to handle the fundamental differences on the unofficial manual wiki, both from a content architecture point of view (how the hell does anyone find anything) and the amount of sheer effort in differentiating content as the curator. Especially since I'm tired of having this role without an agreed upon way for me to be compensated.

FWIW on my end - THANK you, Brian! I‘ve survived with my Zero this long due to the UOZM, and I‘d like to see those responsible thanked. How about an annual donation, much like Wikipedia collects? The first time you access it in a calendar year, you are encouraged / invited / asked to donate. And that gets divvied up between the editors...

As for the separate part of the forum... ambivalent. Sorry.
Electrified boxer fan - GS -> DSR! 😎

ZEM Tahiti

• Zero Emission Motorcycles & Scooters Tahiti
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 07:42:52 AM »

Totally agree, after 5 years of stability in design, the SR/F is opening a new era for the brand. So many differences, I understand why it was impossible to visit the factory months ago !!
it  needs a different folder.
ZEM Tahiti stands for Zero Emission Motorcycles in Tahiti. Our island size is perfect for the electric range.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 02:53:11 AM »

The new platform is listed in the owner's manual as "FST". Maybe the subforum could use that as an organizing principle (although new owners will not see "FST" anywhere).

And yes there is a lot different about the platform such that it would be very important to distinguish SR/F questions from SR questions.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 11:27:56 AM »

The new platform is listed in the owner's manual as "FST". Maybe the subforum could use that as an organizing principle (although new owners will not see "FST" anywhere).

And yes there is a lot different about the platform such that it would be very important to distinguish SR/F questions from SR questions.

Cypher III designates just the new MBB or the whole architecture?   Maybe what we've been using is Generation II and before 2013 was Gen 1?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »

Cypher III designates just the new MBB or the whole architecture?   Maybe what we've been using is Generation II and before 2013 was Gen 1?

Cypher III is the software, and isn’t mentioned much, so difficult to identify.

We could call it a new generation but need newcomers to quickly identify where to post or read threads about their bikes.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 05:11:02 AM »

Still an embargo on reviews. No bike loaned to independent testers.
Why the embargo? What does Zero gain by hiding?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:34:11 PM by heroto »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 08:40:00 PM »

Here's one Heroto. 

I saw one from some Brits and they were having some range and charging issues on their pre production media bike.
I posted Bill Kerr's ride from YT on here in one of the SRF threads or just search it on YT.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 08:56:52 PM by NEW2elec »

heroto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2019, 06:58:08 AM »

Thanks, but surely you'll agree this is limited at best.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 07:08:21 PM »

Thanks, but surely you'll agree this is limited at best.

I tend to agree.  There are a lot of motorcycle reviews in the press, both in magazines and on the internet, but finding instrumented performance testing is hard to come by. Also direct comparison of motorcycle models (the infamous "shootouts") don't seem be be nearly as frequent as they were in the past, I imagine because no brand likes to be called a "looser" - especially one that pays the bill for the reviewers with advertising.  And that goes triple for electric motorcycle models.  ;)

Zero has always seemed to be a little reluctant to give the motorcycle press a test vehicle to ride for more than a few hours at a time. My observation is that it can be many months after a Zero bike hits the showroom floor before it is obtained for any length of time by the press. However I can see how Zero might want to sell every bike they can make before allowing the press to get their hands on one.  (A dollar in the bank is worth two in the bush.)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

VampyreLegion

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 02:37:38 AM »

"With the SR/F, the decision was to take all they had learned with the first two generations and apply it to a blank sheet of paper. Askenazi sums it up: “This [generation] gave us the ability to get it all from the start: industrial design, mechanical engineering, powertrain engineering, electrical engineering. When we started this project it was all about, now there’s no fences. How do you take advantage of that?” When the dust settled, the only parts shared with the previous generation Zeros were: footpegs, mirrors, turn-signals, e-throttle, handgrips, bar endcaps, wheel-speed sensors and magnets, horn, reflectors, and sidestand-switch."

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/zero/exclusive-2019-zero-sr-f-review-first-ride.html

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 03:04:33 AM »

Cycle World "First Ride" article where they were able to get the SR/F on to a dyno: https://www.cycleworld.com/2020-zero-sr-f-electric-motorcycle-first-ride/
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 07:33:00 AM »

"0 to 60 mph in 1.57 seconds"
I knew it felt like that, but reading it... a little intimidating.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 07:20:33 PM »

"0 to 60 mph in 1.57 seconds"
I knew it felt like that, but reading it... a little intimidating.

That performance figure just doesn't seem possible to me for a motorcycle without wheelie bars, different gearing and a really sticky tire.  My guess is that acceleration measurement must have been to 60 KPH.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »

Upon further examining the 0-60mph is in the dyno section of the article.
"(it pulled 0 to 60 mph in 1.57 seconds in Sport Mode)—and, yes, the uncanny silence. We all stood around talking afterward "
…….."With the dyno runs in the books,"

Whether the dyno was programed for the weight is in doubt, I think generally things being dyno tested are tied down so the coefficient of friction at the tire does not come into play.  Or what happens at the mentioned 2g force applied at the tire with the center of gravity higher than the tire contact patch.  The type (well brand anyway) of dyno is described.  "It was on the Dynojet dynamometer"

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2019, 08:08:04 PM »

Upon further examining the 0-60mph is in the dyno section of the article.
"(it pulled 0 to 60 mph in 1.57 seconds in Sport Mode)—and, yes, the uncanny silence. We all stood around talking afterward "
…….."With the dyno runs in the books,"

Whether the dyno was programed for the weight is in doubt, I think generally things being dyno tested are tied down so the coefficient of friction at the tire does not come into play.  Or what happens at the mentioned 2g force applied at the tire with the center of gravity higher than the tire contact patch.  The type (well brand anyway) of dyno is described.  "It was on the Dynojet dynamometer"

The Dynojet seems to be the standard in the motorcycle industry.  It would appear to be a relatively cheap option to the old-style eddy-current dynos, which were expensive and measured continuous power and not just power needed to accelerate a motorcycle.  My limited understanding of the Dynojet is that it consists of a drum of a specified rotating inertia. The rear wheel turns the drum and the time that it takes to spin the drum up to a certain speed can indicate the amount of power and torque produced by the vehicle - with the help of a computer, of course. Whenever you see a video of a motorcycle being tested on a Dynojet, you will notice that it quickly spins up to maximum revs then back down again, before another run is tried. It does not test power being developed at a steady speed with varying loads.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6