• May 05, 2024, 08:48:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Clicking sound coming from near the rear axle (Warm/Hot Days)  (Read 3200 times)

laramie LC4

• View Profile
Re: Clicking sound coming from near the rear axle (Warm/Hot Days)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 04:41:59 AM »

nope, you don't want your bearings to fail. i have a toasted hub in my garage to prove. i guess only good news is a new wheel can be had for around $300 ready to go. relatively cheap compared to other manufacturers.

laters,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 01:50:34 PM »

Thanks guys, I shall heed your advice.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 04:21:17 AM »

Ouch, I didn't realise bearings weren't a warranty item... I just got stung getting them replaced. Despite the mechanic saying he's had bearings go at similar intervals, I'm still a bit stunned.  Anyone think it's worth contacting Zero, or should I just consider them consumables like brake pads? I'm a bit torn because the dealers have been good to me here in the UK.

At least my bike is fixed. This time round I got to ride the latest incarnation of the SV 650 for a day. It's a toy in comparison to my Zero. I was so glad to get back on my electric steed. :-)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 04:41:20 AM »

Bearings are usually considered consumable. Zero wheel bearings are open before 2015 where they became sealed, so it's easy for them to get fouled up with some dirt riding if you don't mind the maintenance. 7800 miles for such a bearing is not a terrible figure; I think one bearing I had on my 13DS went out nearly that early, motivating me to collect some spares ahead of time that I hang on to.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 05:03:23 AM »

I've got over 17k miles on my 2014 Zero S and I haven't had to replace any bearings....I'm starting to wonder if I should be worried about them.  I haven't noticed any noise's.  Are there any other tells that they are going bad? Any recommendations on quality replacements? With 17k miles now I might just proactively get them replaced.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 02:28:59 PM »

Thanks Brian, I'll just have to swallow this one.

Are you in a dry climate mrwilsn? Mine gets ridden in the rain frequently and I've taken it off-road several times. More knocks and bumps than usual. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my opinion. At least it won't be a surprise when they start to go.

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 01:17:27 AM »

2016 SR: did a 4000 mile service a couple of weeks ago (dealer said everything looked fine) and just a couple of days ago got a flat tire. Took it to dealer to replace the tire and they said bearing are starting to wear off (I'm currently at ~4300 miles). Dealer will contact Zero to see what they have to say about this.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 05:32:08 AM »

2016 SR: did a 4000 mile service a couple of weeks ago (dealer said everything looked fine) and just a couple of days ago got a flat tire. Took it to dealer to replace the tire and they said bearing are starting to wear off (I'm currently at ~4300 miles). Dealer will contact Zero to see what they have to say about this.

I would have to look at your wheel to be sure, but I would be doubtful of this.  I hope this isn't a situation where a dealer is looking to keep there service staff busy by recommending preventive maintenance at the earliest sign of wear and well before it's really needed.

If it's not making any noise and spins easily, I might suggest to keep riding.  But since they mentioned something, keep yourself aware of any noises just in case.  I don't know of any 2015+ bearing failures yet.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry
Pages: 1 [2]